What do I have?

Palfreyman

I'm picking this up today, and taking it to my mechanic for an eval...

It's supposedly only got 26K miles... I'm paying $600 for it. Good deal if it runs, I think...

6 minutes ago, Palfreyman said:

I'm picking this up today, and taking it to my mechanic for an eval...

It's supposedly only got 26K miles... I'm paying $600 for it. Good deal if it runs, I think...

If its got the 5 digit odometer it could be 126K or 226K. They reset to zero after 99,999 miles.

Edited by fred heath

hi and welcome to the wide, wide world of toyota motorhomes.  i am a relative new owner myself. i bought mine just over a year ago.  if i may offer some advice ?  first of all, this site is invaluable for help of any kind regarding these units.  I have found the people here have a vast store house of experience and knowledge they freely share. secondly, you will find that you will be required to invest in your rig. in the sense that this is a "motor" home, just as your house needs updates and repairs so goes with your rig. initially it seems all you do is replace parts or repair things, but once you get past that part you really enjoy and have pride in your rig.  your profile states you are from ohio, where exactly?  i wish you well and please use this forum for help and sharing.  joe from dover.

Hello Joe from Dover,

I'm Paul, and I'm in the Columbus area... 

I've got this Toyota RV at the mechanics now being evaluated.. After I get that info, I'll get the priorities figured out on what I need to do from an mechanical/automotive standpoint.

I'm also prepared to strip the interior to the frame and rebuild from the ground up. My wife, before she became disabled, was an architect, and we've got a basement/garage filled with various samples of flooring, tiles, counter-top material, etc... and the samples will be perfect for doing up the so-small interior of this RV.

We also have to remodel the interior to take my wife's disability (and my coming disabilities) into account.

We're gonna take the over-cab bed area and make that storage, and turn the rear couch/dining area into a sleeping area she can get into.. the rest of the interior is up for discussion at this time though... 

Linda,

I've researched the axle a bit.. since mine in the 17.5" foot version, it's not got the weight/stress on the rear axle that the other, bigger models do.. Still, the mechanic was instructed to pay particular attention to it.

What makes you think yours is a 17.5 foot version. Motorhomes are measured from bumper to bumper not just the coach. Yours is a full sized Toyota motorhome and even the little ones like mine, a real 18 footer can break axles. One of our members 18 foot Sunrader broke an axle driving down the highway. If yours hasn't been upgraded it has the fake duallies that are the real cause of the problem. They put uneven stress on the bearings. If yours was a little one I might suggest single wheels in the back but yours isn't. Only a full float axle will do. Here are the model numbers for a Rader motorhome from 1982. All are listed as 20 ft 6 inches

http://www.rvvaluesonline.com/Navigation.do?product=RVBB&yearId=1982&year=1982&manufacturerId=1631&manufacturer=SUNRADER&modelId=84508&model=RADER+MINI+MOTORHOMES

Linda S

At $600 if it runs its a great deal.

But as others have said. It MUST have a 6 lug axle to be safe and anyone who says otherwise has wrong information. This is regardless of size. 

And regarding size, it looks like a 21' model. And once you start adding tile and ramps, it will be heavy.

Even if it's a 17.5' model, the fake dualies aka foolies are an inherently bad design added by coach manufacturers, not Toyota. If you can cut allot of weight, and it truly only has 26k miles, you could conceivably remove the outer wheel and put on D load tires on it. But that means no water tank and drastically cutting weight, not adding weight.

Good luck, it will be a rewarding project.

Edited by bicoastal eric