Hi everyone. I have a 1986 dolphin 500 21' that I would like to swap the 22re with a vortec 4.3l. I like the 22re and don't mind going slow (drove Westfalias for years) but I would like to tow my 600 lb atv. I live at 4,000 feet, so my camper can barely pull itself over passes let alone tow.. I have already reinforced the chassis for that purpose, I'm just wondering if anyone has done the 4.3l swap and what it involves.

Also, I should add that I've been a mechanic, welder, fabricator for years, and have done numerous engine swaps on European cars, so I have an understanding of the need to fab some parts, etc.

I think if you look in the files you will find 2 swaps to read. One is a 4.7 LEXUS V-8, the other is a 4.3. The 4.3  lacked suffcent power to meet the needs of the owner so he supercharged it and was happy. Maybe both owners  will pop up.

I'm not sure where the swap is but a 3.4 yota was also swapped into a camper.

The frame changes and all the other stuff the owner did on the 4.3 swap brought the weight of the rig to almost 10,000 lbs. It's not really a Toyota anymore. That's why he needed the turbo. I've seen it. It's a monster. Articulating axles like a rock crawler

Linda S

You can buy near ever part needed for the swap pre-made.  The days of dropping an engine in and out two-dozen times and going nuts fabricating adapters are pretty much over.  I'm not going to say it's worth it - but if you really want a 4.3 in a Toyota - I think buying the premade major adapters, custom radiator, etc. is the way to go.  Being a SB V8 with two cylinders missing makes it a pretty common swap choice. 

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/parts/engineadapters.php

http://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/1-engine-swap-info-toyota-trucks/

Jdemaris, why don't you think a 4.3 is worth it? I don't have my heart set on one, it just seemed like the right blend of size, power, price. I've had a few 4.3 vortecs over the years and had a lot of success with them, but if there is a different, better engine I'm interested to hear more. I saw the post on the Lexus v8. That's way too big for my needs. 

I didn't mean it that way.  The 4.3 is a great engine.   All I meant by that aside is this. If I wanted a 4.3 GM pushing my motorhome - I'd probably put the RV coach on to a complete S10 truck with the 4.3 and whatever my choice of transmission was.  I've often though of doing that with my 1978 Toyota Chinook.  I guess such a swap does not work if a person is Toyota-loyal, but hey.  If that was the cause you wouldn't want a GM engine either.   There's what was once a Toyota Dolphin just down the road from me and that got put onto an S15 pickup and looks great.  Too bad it's a 1984 with a 2.8 V6 and 700R4 (an early, very trouble prone version).

DSCF0704.JPG

DSCF0705.JPG

DSCF0706.JPG

DSCF0707.JPG

DSCF0725.JPG

DSCF0729.JPG

I didn't know that a coach swap was possible, but I'm pretty new to these. I'm not ambitious enough for a coach swap. Haha. Even all the custom parts for the 4.3 swap is giving me sticker shock. I may go a little longer without the ability to tow the 4 wheeler.

If there was a reasonable priced toyota engine that was half way reliable I'd prefer that over having a multi brand rig..

I have experience with the 3rz and it would be a good choice. Plus the motors seem to be affordable. I don't see any donor vehicles for sale nearby that would provide the wiring harness and parts needed to complete the job though. We do have an abundance of 3.4 powered Toyotas for sale at a reasonable price. Are those decent?

Linda, what is a tiger provan??

21 minutes ago, PilotbullMT said:

I have experience with the 3rz and it would be a good choice. Plus the motors seem to be affordable. I don't see any donor vehicles for sale nearby that would provide the wiring harness and parts needed to complete the job though. We do have an abundance of 3.4 powered Toyotas for sale at a reasonable price. Are those decent?

Linda, what is a tiger provan??

Mine looks like this but way crappier

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/suntinez/media/1991 XL/for sale/0a.jpg.html

Linda S

I don't believe I've ever seen one of those. That's more along the lines of what I wanted when I was shopping for a camper because they seem better suited to the higher speeds of 4 lane travel, plus a bigger engine for towing. I'm happy with my dolphin 500 though. Even at 21' it gets pretty cramped with my wife and daughter. I couldn't imagine something smaller..

10 hours ago, PilotbullMT said:

I didn't know that a coach swap was possible, but I'm pretty new to these. I'm not ambitious enough for a coach swap. Haha. Even all the custom parts for the 4.3 swap is giving me sticker shock. I may go a little longer without the ability to tow the 4 wheeler.

If there was a reasonable priced toyota engine that was half way reliable I'd prefer that over having a multi brand rig..

Your motorhome may be slow - but I doubt you'd notice much difference when pulling that 4 wheeler.   I pulled my 4-wheeler on a small trailer with my Toyota Minicruiser with a 22RE and did not even feel it behind me.  I've got a 200cc Honda and a 250 cc Suzuki 4-wheeler. Either one weighs around 375 lbs.  So with a 300 lb. trailer - seems I'm talking the same weight as what you want to do.  What do you have for a drivetrain?  If you have an auto trans - I bet putting in a manual trans and maybe a 4.56 rear would help.  Or?? Just get a Toyota Chinook RV and it can tow just fine, as is (a little small inside though).

If I was ever to do a swap in my Minicruiser ( and that is unlikely) - it would be a 3.8 Dodge V6 or a 3 liter Mercedes turbodiesel (common and cheap).  Swaps are all a pain-in-the-a*s and once done - there are usually perpetual problems to deal with.   I can buy an S10 pickup, complete with a 4.3 in 2WD version for less then $2000.  Sometimes less then $1000.  I'd do the body swap if I really wanted that 4.3.  Comes with all that OEM engineering.

In an ideal-world - my 1988 Toyota Minicruiser would have a 3.9 liter Cummins 4BT, have all sorts of pulling power, and get 20-22 MPG.  Too expensive though, even though they are old engines now.  The price never seems to go down on them.  6BTs from Dodge pickups are all over the place and priced reasonable, but way too much engine for the Toyota.  

Those 4bt engines are popular, and I have a friend who wants to install one in my camper and insists he can do it for less than $5k. I don't like that they weigh twice as much as the 22re.. These toyota frames seem overloaded as it is.

If there was a "reasonably priced" turbo diesel somewhere in size between the 1.9 TDI and the 4bt I'd consider it. I'm just not a fan of toyota engines. I've replaced a handful of 22re engines for people, but many of those were shoddy rebuilds that went bad. I'm not impressed that my bone stock engine is failing at 75k miles.. 

So you think with a gross trailer weight of 650lbs my 22re would pull ok? If that's the case maybe I'll just rebuild my 22re and roll with that. 

Jdemaris you mentioned a 3.0l Mercedes swap. Does that utilize the toyota transmission through an adapter, or the MB transmission and engine as an assembly? The OM617.951 (3.0l TD) would easily handle the load, I'm just curious if the MB 722.3 transmission (4 speed auto that came with the 3.0l TD) would hold the extra couple thousand pounds. I think it would be an easy drop in as a complete assembly.

On Friday, September 09, 2016 at 7:11 AM, jdemaris said:

If I was ever to do a swap in my Minicruiser ( and that is unlikely) - it would be a 3.8 Dodge V6 or a 3 liter Mercedes turbodiesel 

• 2 weeks later...

You have got to remember a modern engine will require modern wiring it probably will be more of a pain than forcing the engine/trans in even with a wrecked parts rig.