Charging while driving

BobBeery

I know that the house battery normally charges through the isolator while I am driving.  Does that juice from the alternator also go through the 12v converter after the isolator or not?

Reason I'm asking is that I have disconnected my converter from the circuit breaker while on shore power.  When I go on the road will I have to reconnect the converter in order to charge the house battery by driving? 

Depends on how your house battery is wired.

In my case the isolator goes directly to the house battery. From there it goes to the converter and any 12V circuits. I can't imagine why it would be wired any differently.

An easy test would be to attach a voltmeter to your coach battery when running your engine without shore power. If you're getting approximately 13.8 volts, your good.

No the isolator is connected directly to the house battery.it does not go through the converter/charger.

21 hours ago, fred heath said:

Depends on how your house battery is wired.

In my case the isolator goes directly to the house battery. From there it goes to the converter and any 12V circuits. I can't imagine why it would be wired any differently.

An easy test would be to attach a voltmeter to your coach battery when running your engine without shore power. If you're getting approximately 13.8 volts, your good.

Good idea Fred.  I got 12.51v with engine not running and 12.51v with engine running.  The battery under the hood stays charged so the alternator works.  Either the Isolator is not connecting, or the current from the alternator is wired through the converter. 

I will be replacing the converter next week so I will see what happens then.

Just for fun, put your voltmeter on the truck battery when running. Anything under 13.5 volts means your alternator may not be charging 100%. If yes, check the belts for proper tension.

3 hours ago, BobBeery said:

Good idea Fred.  I got 12.51v with engine not running and 12.51v with engine running.  The battery under the hood stays charged so the alternator works.  Either the Isolator is not connecting, or the current from the alternator is wired through the converter. 

I will be replacing the converter next week so I will see what happens then.

I think You need to be checking your isolator the converter has no effect on the truck charging the coach battery.

on my 93 winnie warrior, when driving, the solenoid (looks like a ford starter solenoid but it is a low draw constant duty) under the hood takes power off the start battery's pos terminal and routes it to the house battery.  Goes thru 2 CB's and loses about a 1/2 volt by the time it gets to the house battery.

the converter in the cabin only isolates the house battery from the house load items when AC is present. 

our models are close enough that I would not be surprised if your;s is the same.

There are two types of converter/chargers the old style one's had a relay inside that disconnected the battery from the system when the charger was on, it had two systems one to charge the battery the other to light the lights. The modern switching converters did not have a relay and the charger was connected to the battery directly some of the very late toy homes had that type system. Both systems had the isolator coach battery lead connected to the battery. It is normal for the coach battery to show a bit lower voltage than the truck battery due to the number of connection and length of wire.

excuse me for jumping in here but I have a question or two...  I am a new, first time owner of a MH,  I have an 80 Huntsman which has a place for the house battery in the engine compartment...  I am going to get a deep cycle and put in its place as there is no battery...  Is there an isolator in that circuit...  What does an isolator look like...  Thanks

OK...  Thank you very much...  I saw that and I thought it was part of the start relay system...  Thanks again,, Russ

This will no longer matter to me in three days.  My new converter upgrade/replacement was delivered today. I am on the road now but will be home to install it Friday. :)