My cooling system started running a bit hotter than normal this season.  I suspect either the fan clutch or impeller of the water pump as I've seen both affect efficiency in cooling in other vehicles.  Coolant is full and if I run the heater, it quickly drops to normal.  So I figure time to give it a thorough going over.

Don't know if this sounds like what you are trying to solve with an electric fan but if so, you might find that going over your cooling system might solve it for you.  Don't forget the thermostat and radiator cap too.

by removing the viscous clutch from the equation, a small parasitic loss of hp may be regained that's not spinning the fan.. that and one hell of a lot of air flow loss.

we covered this in another thread in here once i think.

There are several reasons clutch fans are used.To keep the engine temp at max efficiency, to reduce noise, to save fuel and to confuse people as to why they are used.

I had the bottom hose on the radiator burst as I was coming into my yard tonight...  time for a flush,,, new thermostat...  What do y'all run on temps,,, 180 F...  anyone running 160 F???  I have a lot to go over on this engine... 

Edited by bodasefus
added a word...

If you have a 22RE (EFI) then the 180 is needed to keep the computer happy

Mine is a 80 Huntsman and it has the 20R engine...  Still 180 deg thermostat...  I would like to investigate a electric fan for the motor and get rid of the fan clutch...                                                                                                                 

• 1 month later...

I will tell you from first hand experience that the electric fan option is no Bueno.

I had my original clutch driven fan explode on me a few years ago and thought... electric fan? HP gain? Fuel efficiency? He'll yeah! I installed the flexalite black magic fan along with a new thermostat burped it and started having overheating issues... chased my tail for a bit... changed out all the hoses, new 3 core aluminum radiator and tyranny cooler on the 3.0.

The issue with electric fans lies in the fact that they move the same amount of air at idle and at 45k so when your speed drops and RPM goes up like when climbing a pass the electric fan just can't move enough air to keep it all cool. 

Hope it helps... don't make my mistake