And on and on and on...

Kristeen

I'm new to this RV ownership thing, so I have a lot to learn.  My 1984 Toyota Horizon has seen a lot of the Oregon parks.  I purchased it from an aquaintance who could not afford the storage rates and couldn't park it in her trailer park.  It was supposed to be tight, with a new engine installed, 350 Chevy, 700 Transmission, with the overdrive, and leak proof.  She had only just bought it herself, when she had to get it gone.  I put a new battery in it and brought it home.  Only twice have we attempted a 'trip' with the last so called trip, breaking down 300 miles from our destination and 300 miles from home.  So, our excellent mechanic installed another 350 short block, but this time did it right.  It is a go-getter, but, everything about it is old.  The insides all work, replaced toilet, removed the so called shower.  Changing the orange shag stuff to turquoise and beige.  I have now into it twice what it is worth, but there is no stopping now.  Can't quit right before we start having fun with it....Last week we took a quick jaunt up north, and holy moly, I was exhausted from the wiggile waggle, particularly when the big rigs passed on the left.  She can go like hell, but the undercarriage doesn't let you.  Now it's new shocks, front and back, and even though there is tread, I want to see a  more substantial tire, particularly up front.  Can't wait for the fun to begin.... 

Edited by Kristeen
correcting

Chevy 350, wow!   Only twice what it is worth, not bad at all.   If you bought a new one, the first couple years depreciation is 25%, I have to remind myself I have less in mine than the depreciation on a new one.   Jim

When you do the rear shocks also do the rear spring bushings.

On 8/16/2016 at 3:04 AM, Kristeen said:

It was supposed to be tight, with a new engine installed, 350 Chevy, 700 Transmission

I'm curious to see how you do with fuel mileage and engine cooling.  I had a Chevy K5 Blazer with a Chalet (Chinook) motorhome body with a pop-up roof.  The original 350 gas engine ran fine but got around 9 MPG.  Sometimes I could stretch it to 10 MPG.  Note that was with a TH350 trans (no lockup, no overdrive), but had a low 3.08 axle-ratio.  I then stuck in a 379 turbo-diesel along with a 700R4 (lock-up converter and OD), along with 3.73 axles.   I had high hopes of getting 20 MPG but my absolute best was 15  MPG, and 13-14  MPG was more common.  It weighed around 5500 lbs.