LED Puck Light Install Issues, Help!

DirtyPatches

So I got these LED RGB puck lights on ebay and my understanding with leds they're inherently 12v so you can cut off the plug and hard wire them in (seen it done on youtube).

The issue I am having is they won't turn off or respond to the remote at all unless I use an intact plug from the other set I have... Had to wire them backwards into the 12 v to get them to work but can't use the remote. Also one of the 4 lights has 3 leds stuck on red.... Lots to scratch my head about.

Anyone have experience or knowlege with this? First time I have had issues with 12v lighting so pretty frustrated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401109770828?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

IMG_20160808_135818880.jpg

Chinese mfg. When I clicked the e-bay link for description, it sent me to the sellers other items.

I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for".

If your lights came with 3 AAA batteries inside, this makes them 4.5 - 5v. Not 12 volt.

one additional thought. You mentioned a "plug". This could be a step-down transformer from 12v. The output should be stamped on the plug itself. There would be no batteries in this case.

Edited by fred heath

Final thought. If you've already cut off one plug, and its output is not labeled, plug it into a 12v source, attach a voltmeter to the two output wires. Set your meter for DC current. This will tell you what voltage the lights are.

Hate to say it but there is a lot of stuff about those lights that would make me look some else. First 10 watt led's would be VERY bright one would light the entire camper and require a good size heat sink. Most of the modern LED's for use in RV's etc. are 12 volts but LED's are generally 3 volts the cheap ones series wired so they run in a string at 12 volts. The better ones have a power supply of some sort either on the chip or a switching supply. They are not usually polarity sensitive but the system the runs the remote part is.