Rear hitch storage space/box.

jjrbus

Reinstalling the toilet has gotten to be a major PIA so decided to walk away and start the hitch rack.  I am starting with a mock up and see some issues already.  The box blocks access to the spare, which I could solve by moving the box out a couple inches.  It also partially blocks the tail lights which is unacceptable.

The mighty little Honda is a good fit in the box so hate to lose the box, and the box is surprisingly light.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestion, wisdom, knowledge, experience,  input, opinions or wise cracks greatly appreciated.                            Jim

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

hard to tell for sure, but it appears that it is blocking view of the taillights/license plate.  Also wondering if it will lower your departure angle causing even more tail strikes?

Maybe a narrower box mounted a little higher?   Curious how much weight do you plan to carry out there?

Other than the magnificent little Honda, not much. I'm thinking sewer hose, water hose, couple fold up aluminum chairs things of that nature. Anything that is large and light.   Box is definitely partially blocking tail lights. 

I do not know the exact weight of the box itself but is very light for it's size. Plus I will not be adding lots of heavy gauge steel to do this.   

16 minutes ago, linda s said:

Looking at the picture I suspect the lid of the box would have to be up to fit the Honda in there,  not 100% sure, would ask before buying.    The height of the box is given as 17" and the Honda is 16.7.