Hello! My name is Berticus.

Berticus

Hello everyone, My name is Berticus and I just purchased this 1977 20r!

She starts right up, and shifts smoothly. She is pretty clean for a 40yr old machine.

I plan on remodeling her with a few changes. I am getting rid of the oven/stove as well as replacing the toilet with a compost.

She has a new water tank and pump, but needs a little TLC.

My first project of this kind. I will have a million questions. =)

00Z0Z_fCjGrm0n8fD_1200x900.jpg

00404_8DSdkIjqIE1_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_ini0p3PMepQ_1200x900.jpg

01414_aq50mZvCwOL_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Berticus

Is that really bad? Can you direct me to the proper post about replacements?
I got it for a good price, so mechanical repairs were in the budgeted amount.

Welcome to the madness. These guys have a million answers, some of them are actually right:D  I can't help with the rear axle, above my pay grade, other than there is a sticky on the Engine Drivetrain forum that might be worth reading.  .   Jim

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6-toyota-motorhome-axle-facts/

No need to worry about the axle. It's not the Full Floating (FF), 1- Ton, 6-lug that you'll often read about being needed by a recall. The recall only applied to 'Homes that were fitted 'foolie' dual rear wheels. Yours isn't/wasn't. You've got wide 'Super singles', probably 7" wide rims and (originally) L60-14 tires.

From the pictures, you're the owner of a very clean example. The 1st thing I'd do is get rid of the brown shag (unless that's your 'thing'). :)

THAT is a nice looking little rig.   I wonder why your dashboard is so perfect? I've had two 1977s and one 1978. In all three, the vinyl on the dash was completely curled up and cracked.  Also in all three, the windshields had gone bad.  When I say "bad" I mean the plastic inside the safety glass turned opaque and much of the windshield was no longer clear.  I just put a brand new windshield in my 1978.

I would not touch that rear axle as far as any mods go. I WOULD jack it up and check the rear bearings for play.  There is one sealed ball bearing on each side. No way to lube it. It just has to be replaced at X amount of miles.  Unlike the front bearings that are adjustable and can be packed with grease. No such thing on the rear.  Important to know they are in good shape. I suspect they rarely get thought about until they fail by most owners.

How much did you get it for?  Looks really nice.

The rear axle and bearings are set-up almost exactly like the 9" rear in a F100 for F150 Ford from the 60s-80s.  In fact, I think Toyota copied Ford.  There is one sealed bearing per side and all that holds it in is a pressed-on steel ring. If the bearing totally fails, the entire axle with the wheel and tire attached and leave the truck completely.  I've seen it happen on a few full size Ford 1/2 ton trucks. Note this sort of failure usually comes with a lot of warning.  Like a growling and/or loose rear wheel bearing that keeps getting driven on.   If would be the FIRST thing I'd check since many owners seem not to be aware of it.

To change a bearing, usually you just unbolt and remove the entire axle and bearing assembly and then have someone with a press do the bearing change for you.  

100_0761.jpg

100_0762.JPG

100_0763.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image3.jpg

She hit my local Craigslist on Sunday, I picked her up for $1900 last night. I am sure she has some rot, but she isn't stinky. I am so glad to hear that I shouldn't worry about the rear axle. Odo reads 82k, and was told that is original miles. I assume the dash is in such good shape due to being up here in the northwest... not much sunshine to be had :P

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

From the pictures, you're the owner of a very clean example. The 1st thing I'd do is get rid of the brown shag (unless that's your 'thing'). :)

Thank you, and yeah I am a product of the 70's as well,and I agree... the shag on the floors has got ta go.

The ceiling is actually a 1-2inch soft foam with a texture. And I might recover the wall shag with a newer shag... it has a nice "groovy" feeling about it! :D

I took the day off to get the DMV outta the way, and hang out. It saw the manufacturers plate, it was finished in Oct of 77. I will research the manufacturer and post my findings.

Cal-Camp Hemet Calif, model, the Cal-Camper

I can not find anything on this company. There is still a company in Hemet named Cal-Camp, but they just do folding chairs and other camping supplies.

1 hour ago, Berticus said:

She hit my local Craigslist on Sunday, I picked her up for $1900 last night. I am sure she has some rot, but she isn't stinky. I am so glad to hear that I shouldn't worry about the rear axle. Odo reads 82k, and was told that is original miles. I assume the dash is in such good shape due to being up here in the northwest... not much sunshine to be had :P

I think you got a great deal, considering it looks to be rust-free.  Rust is the one thing you cannot fix unless it is just minor and superficial.  A bare 77-78 truck with no camper and not rust could bring that much if running OK.  As far as the shag carpet goes?   What me worry?  Just get yourself a Nehru jacket or a leisure suit, bell bottoms, and you are all set.

27 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

Just get yourself a Nehru jacket or a leisure suit, bell bottoms, and you are all set.

Ha! :D

32 minutes ago, jdemaris said:

I think you got a great deal, considering it looks to be rust-free. 

I was told that it was kept under a tarp type garage in LaPine, Oregon. (high desert) for most of its life, and was used on weekends and to visit Calif. There is some rust... but nothing a light grinding and few bits of paint shouldn't fix.

1 hour ago, Berticus said:

Cal-Camp Hemet Calif, model, the Cal-Camper

I can not find anything on this company. There is still a company in Hemet named Cal-Camp, but they just do folding chairs and other camping supplies.

I've got one ad listing it in Jan, 1968 in "Orange, Calfornia" and a maker of truck-campers.

1 minute ago, jdemaris said:

I've got one ad listing it in Jan, 1968 in "Orange, California" and a maker of truck-campers.

Can you post a pic?

39 minutes ago, Berticus said:

Can you post a pic?

Sorry,. the ad is just text listing a bunch of RV makers who would be attending the Anaheim RV show for 1968 and "Cal Camper or Orange" is listed as one of the attendees. It was a local ad so I guess those who live there know what "Orange" means.  I assume maybe Orange County?  I'm not a 'California Dude" and not privy to such things.