Another Toyota Traveler

One interesting thing about traveling in our small motor home is being lost in the sea of giant RV's we are parked next to while camping.  This weekend was more so than normal.  We were surrounded by huge motorhomes and trailers and our little rv seems so tiny in the crowd.  Occasionally we run into another Toyota RV.  This one from MA is a close cousin to my Itasca was a few rows away.  If this is someone on this board, we meant to say hello but got rather caught up with fishing.

scussett_01.jpg

Parked at a beach campground I was in between huge motorhomes. A jogger stopped and said oh my it looks like they had a baby and my little Sunrader has been called "Baby" every since. Can't imagine traveling in one of those behemoths.

Linda

In the Toy on the highway I see a semi coming and I get a grip on the wheel, in my 35 foot, converted MCI the truckers saw me coming and got a grip on their wheel"s.:D I bought the 35 footer so I would fit in most campgrounds, had to be very careful about going off pavement as it was easy to get stuck and a monumental task to get it unstuck!  In the Toy if it is very windy out I doubt I will drive, in the behemoth I did not even notice.

I carried everything I owned with me in the big one,  now I will have to be very selective about what I take. I don't know what the MPG was, I never checked it, had I known I likely would never have driven it again.  Often when traveling people would ask about my machine and want to chat.

The bus community was an eclectic group and  rather tight knit, I hope I find the same camaraderie in the Toy community. 

Life will be a lot better if I ever get this thing started so I can go someplace and have exciting travel stories to tell. Now I just sit behind the wheel and say zoom zoom and beep beep.  Jim

45 minutes ago, linda s said:

Parked at a beach campground I was in between huge motorhomes. A jogger stopped and said oh my it looks like they had a baby and my little Sunrader has been called "Baby" every since. Can't imagine traveling in one of those behemoths.

Linda

It seems the beach campgrounds around here have a larger ratio of really big RV's.  This site is really popular and is probably the best beach site in MA.  We saw a couple pop up's but mostly huge RV's.

It seems that every trip lately the wife starts that conversation.  She wants something larger.  The two items on her wish list is a larger shower and real bedroom rather than a hop up berth.  I still think the toy is hard to beat for the 2-3 day fishing trips.  Don't know how much longer we'll be keeping this one.

Bigger is not always better.  A point is quickly reached where another form of transportation is needed. Be it a bike, moped, car or van.  A bike or motorbike on a rack on the back, a car on a trailer, or tow dolly, flat tow.  How big and weight, does it need a braking system.  10/12 tires and a monitoring system become a must. I got tired of hooking up, unhooking, setting things up, testing everything, here you are all ready to travel and something is not working.  Can be frustrating.  In the Toy if I have an issue, I will not have a ride, so can't win. 

I see good and bad either way, but for now the Toy seems like the best option for me.  Beep Beep!       Jim

Ya mean like this?

P6140088.JPG

9 hours ago, WME said:

Ya mean like this?

P6140088.JPG

Worse than that.  We were in a section closest to the beach where all the really big stuff had reserved sites.  We were right next to a huge 5th wheel and a Prevost Bus RV.  This park is nicely laid out so that everyone has plenty of space but the separation make it looks even stranger when we were walking back from fishing in the canal.  At some distance, we looked tiny.

We did have some smaller company for one day.  A bunch of guys with Kayaks had a little pop up.  Fun bunch.

The way I look at it is, I have a bigger shower and a real bed, at my house. If I'm traveling and feel the need for comfort I can stay in a hotel. With the Toy I can go great places and do fun things that I can't do anywhere else and those giant RV's can't get there either.

Linda S

A downside to parking next to a big luxury RV.  If you are on the driver side of it, many have basement air, which runs and exhaust noise and warm wind on your side! Sounds like no big deal but if you are in a sandy or dry area, you get covered with dust.   Pulling the plug or tripping the breaker does not help as the generator automatically kicks on:huh:

1 hour ago, linda s said:

The way I look at it is, I have a bigger shower and a real bed, at my house. If I'm traveling and feel the need for comfort I can stay in a hotel. With the Toy I can go great places and do fun things that I can't do anywhere else and those giant RV's can't get there either.

Linda S

Only stayed a hotel a couple times with the big one.  Once because it was cheaper than the Executive Class A luxury RV
Resort and Spa down the street!

The main difference I've found is the "boondock time". The Toy was good for 2 days, 3 if you were careful . WATER, black/gray tanks and food were the limits.

60 gallons of fresh water and 70 gallons of black/gray storage makes a huge difference.

If your not boondocking  then Wal-Mart and Flying J are equalizers.

5 minutes ago, WME said:

The main difference I've found is the "boondock time". The Toy was good for 2 days, 3 if you were careful . WATER, black/gray tanks and food were the limits.

60 gallons of fresh water and 70 gallons of black/gray storage makes a huge difference.

If your not boondocking  then Wal-Mart and Flying J are equalizers.

I am wondering how this is going to work, I used to have 100 fresh with 100 gal black/grey tank. Now I am down to 21 fresh. Even eating beans out of cans with disposable plastic spoons  and lots of deodorant I can't see going more than 3 days without hookups, but time will tell.

All you need is access to water and a dump station, not hookups. Lots of truck stops have dump stations and every gas station has water. Water at a dump is not potable but the stuff for your radiator is regular tap water. Drinking water is available at any store. There's a website that shows dump stations all over the country. Also most RV parks will just let you use the dump and get water for about 15 bucks. Oh and all truck stops will let you pay for a shower. Trucks are not fully self contained and truckers need showers too.

Linda S