Hello, I am new here but not new to Toyota's

Trailhead

Hello, 

I'm John, I am a grandpa raising my granddaughter she is 4 and I am looking to buy us a Sunrader. We are ready for adventures!  Currently looking at a 1983 2wd Sunrader in need of a complete interior remodel. 22R runs great, 5sp tranny and has one ton floater axle in place....really cheap to purchase. I am also looking at a 4x4 Sunrader in really good condition and floater axle in place as well. I am very interested in the 4x4 and I am flying out to see it this weekend. I am extremely excited to have this opportunity at such a rare and grand Toyota! As my title says I am not new to Toyota, I have owned 13, 1984 4runners, 3, 1985 4runners, countless 4x4 pickups. I currently own an 1986 Toyota turbo custom cab that I have put a 84 straight axle in, upgraded the interior with SR5 4runner seats, inclinometer, tilt steering and intermittent wipers. My other is my daily driver 2004 TRD SR5 4dr Tacoma. ARB bumper, 8000lb Warn synthetic, Dick Cepek extremes and Old man emu 2" lift. I have been into Toyota for over 20 years, off road for 25, I do auto body work for a living (30 years) Riva certified rv body tech 15 years. I love forums and user groups and I am very happy to have found this site! I look forward to contributing here and reading stories and posts here :)

you r welcome and you have me beat have had 7  2 moter homes 2 4wd xtra cabs I st cab a corona wgn and a celica.

Welcome

The 4x4's are always a premium price heh. You did not mention year and engine tranmission. Our first toy was an 86 4x4 sunraider with the custom cab and turbo. We had to sell it because it was just too small for us. A friend of mine has a 87 pickup turbo. He had some larger down tubes built and I put one in ours along with a 3 inch exhaust to the rear. Ran really well, more HP than our V6. But one draw back I found with the turbo was that we had an automatic. At high elevation it was hard to get that turbo to spin up enough from a standing still start in some situations to make boost. Like on an incline. At times I would have to drop the transfer into low to get moving. Reverse was really bad to get it spinning even in low range. I realized I could easily get myself in a situation where I would not be able to back out of a situation when off road. Turbo produced around 7lbs of boost otherwise and would scream down the interstate. Another thing I did not like about the sunrader was the rear dinette. The table. I eventually modified the table so that it was half a table just so that I could sit and bend over to put on my socks and shoes. Also remember these 4x4 sunraders are heavy. Not as nimble as your pickup.

The Sunrader is an 86 22re auto. Greg, your old Sunrader extra cab is they only one ever made correct?

I do realize that this 4x4 motor home is going to be heavy but I can dial the rear suspension in with adjustable shocks for better stability. This Rader will be for camping with my little granddaughter, snow skiing and hanging out at the beach. 

The turbo custom cab I have has been switched to a 22re but the turbo 5sp. is still in it. I'm not much of a turbo fan anyway. 

20150221_154722.jpg