My motorhome is "too old" for Rv parks in San Diego

candace

We've been full time traveling in our 84 Toyota Huntsman for 6 months. Now, I'd like to stay put in the San Diego's north county for a month or two. There are several rv parks near the beach and prices aren't bad, $550 - $650 month. But they all have RV age limits. Some will only allow RVs 10 years and newer, some 20 years and newer. Ours is a beautiful 32 year old with no place to park. Needless to say, I'm not happy with this discrimination of older RVs. 

IMG_1123.JPG

We ran into similar issues in our bus conversions. Fantastic looking units but not allowed because they were over 10 years old or "Bus conversions".

The 10 year part was easy the registration could be updated to the year the unit was converted.  So one could have a 1948 Brill with a registration that said it was a 2015! On occasion a phone call to the park explaining you have a completely renovated "vintage" RV will get you in.  Some are flexible some are not. 

So I wonder if a Toy is completely renovated if the registration could be updated to the year it was done?? That's a question for our esteemed colleagues, not an answer. 

I have no desire to stay in those snobby parks anyway, the  Exclusive, Executive, Class A,  RV Resort and Spa types!  Jim

Had a fun experience many years ago. There was a brand new high end RV resort that just opened in Las Vegas, Newer Class A's only and a spa type setup. Only thing is it was empty. So we were welcomed with open arms and we stayed there in our Toy.  When we returned 2 years later different story. BUT the Toy was a previously registered "guest" from before so we got to stay again. When we got our newer, but still to old Class A the grandfather clause expired :(

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  Certainly not the kind of place I'd ever want to stay in. If someone owns a business and takes all the risks - it ought to be their choice what sort of clientele they have.   Seems the rules would have use precise figures like age-ranges.  Otherwise they'd need a judge and jury to sit by the gate and evaluate every RV that comes in to see if it is "worthy."

I have a similar complaint here in Michigan when crossing the Mackinac Bridge.   BIG fee for crossing with any motorhome.  So a converted school bus a mile long pays the same as my little Toyota.  Yet - I can be driving a 1 ton dually pickup with a huge camper on it - and pay less.   Once in awhile I get a bridge toll person who asks me  . . "is that a motorhome or a camper."   I always say "camper" when asked and then get the lower toll.  Does not happen much though.

I doubt I will ever see the day when there is a campground in the Michigan UP that has "motorhome snob rules" and won't let me in due to age or size, or just me in general.

On 3/4/2016 at 4:16 PM, jjrbus said:

We ran into similar issues in our bus conversions. Fantastic looking units but not allowed because they were over 10 years old or "Bus conversions".

The 10 year part was easy the registration could be updated to the year the unit was converted.  So one could have a 1948 Brill with a registration that said it was a 2015! On occasion a phone call to the park explaining you have a completely renovated "vintage" RV will get you in.  Some are flexible some are not. 

Hi, funny that you should mention it, but my first bus conversion was a 1948 ACF BRILL-IC41..this was great bus..all aluminum, frame too.. NO AIR BAGS, had springs.. this was in the late 60's.. crossed country in it in '71 .... this was my first bus, up from VW busse's & I was then transformed .  Then a FLX, to a 4104 which my second wife could not drive, so I started downsizing, Cortez, Travco, & now that I travel alone.....a 78 Chinook... with a few odd balls inbetween...

I miss the most my 4104......but love the Chinook for my 3 or 4 day excursions..it suits me fine...I'll stop the "memories"  forgive me,     Donnie

Thanks for the response,  WOW a Brill!   There are still a few of them running around the country converted.  Some are restored.  I had a 79 MCI 5C Saudi model.  I was not traveling so instead of letting it sit and rot, I sold it.  Took an awful beating, but they are worth what someone will pay.

There is a bus conversion site it you want some more nostalgia.   

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php

Jim

2 hours ago, Donnie said:

so I started downsizing, Cortez,     Donnie

The Clark Cortez motorhome has always fascinated me. Maybe I'd lose that fascination if I actually owned one?   It was "different" and designed by a company that built a lot of odd-ball transmissions, tractor drives, crawlers, and a lot more.  My old  Oliver Cletrac bulldozer has a Clark drive in it. 

6 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Thanks for the response,  WOW a Brill!   There are still a few of them running around the country converted.  Some are restored.  I had a 79 MCI 5C Saudi model.  I was not traveling so instead of letting it sit and rot, I sold it.  Took an awful beating, but they are worth what someone will pay.

There is a bus conversion site it you want some more nostalgia.   

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php

Jim

Jim, thanks for the link, but if I go there I'm gonna, wanna...  I, as recently as 10 0r 12 years ago wanted a 35' MCI-5...I luv the jungle roof & the stainless construction that MCI uses.. The Saudi models are hard to find ...I looked at a model 7 here in Pa.. nice conversion, fair price, but I did not want a 40 footer. I bought Bus Trader for about 3 years & finally watching diesel fuel prices climb... I stopped searching for a Saudi bus..now diesel is 2 bux a gallon.. but the years are catching up & I need to be realistic...How long ago did you sell yours?  I honestly have given up on ever owning another bus, but busses are in my heart & you did light my fire..

Ahh, maybe I'll go have a peek :-)      Donnie

6 hours ago, jdemaris said:

The Clark Cortez motorhome has always fascinated me. Maybe I'd lose that fascination if I actually owned one?   It was "different" and designed by a company that built a lot of odd-ball transmissions, tractor drives, crawlers, and a lot more.  My old  Oliver Cletrac bulldozer has a Clark drive in it. 

JD, they are actually a pretty cool vehicle..Mine had a slant 6 Chrysler Industrial engine..They built a rescue vehicle using the same basics. It has a heat exchanger water heater that used engine heat & a Borg Warner South wind gasoline furnace...Tony & Jan Noto from the west coast ran the forum/newsletter at that time.. Not sure if they are still around. That was long ago.. Other than the steel body, being prone to rust,,,,,,,,,they were a good truck..you're right, the transaxle was massive...I sold mine when I bought my 1st Travco as we needed a bit more room..Two of us & a large Dog............  Donnie

59 minutes ago, Donnie said:

Jim, thanks for the link, but if I go there I'm gonna, wanna...  I, as recently as 10 0r 12 years ago wanted a 35' MCI-5...I luv the jungle roof & the stainless construction that MCI uses.. The Saudi models are hard to find ...I looked at a model 7 here in Pa.. nice conversion, fair price, but I did not want a 40 footer. I bought Bus Trader for about 3 years & finally watching diesel fuel prices climb... I stopped searching for a Saudi bus..now diesel is 2 bux a gallon.. but the years are catching up & I need to be realistic...How long ago did you sell yours?  I honestly have given up on ever owning another bus, but busses are in my heart & you did light my fire..

Ahh, maybe I'll go have a peek :-)      Donnie

I sold mine about 5 years ago, the economy was in the toilet, the price of fuel was up. Bad time to sell. To the best of my knowledge there were 200 MCI 5C Saudi models, unless changed all had the 6V71 with an allison.   They are real slugs on the road, governed at 69 MPH.