Hi Everyone,

Staring this topic because I can't find the right information on the forum. Probably buried somewhere... forgive me ^_^

So I would like to know how feasible it is to convert a 2wd Sunrader into a 4wd one. Is it worth doing? And what would be an estimated rough cost of such a conversion.

Secondly if not feasible. Are there ways to make the Sunrader more offroad worthy? Higher clearance, better tyres, etc.

Going down to Baja for 3 weeks and it will be the first of many trips down south. So being able to take unpaved roads, reach remote beaches, etc would be very very convenient.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Stijn

Stijn--

my 2 pesos' worth:

1.  you'll want 4WD most places you are interested in going in Baja....higher clearance and AT tires won't be enough for a lot of areas, and you're limited in how much you can reduce the pressure in the tires (standard Baja sand driving measure, and to soften impact of extensive Baja washboard roads) due to the weight of your rig.  many of the best places along the coasts almost require 4WD to get to.  without it, you'll ideally want a buddy rig to travel with you.

also, I find I often use the 4WD on my Taco even when I could get through things in 2WD....less scrabbling for traction, slinging dirt n rocks, and wheel hop.....just more pleasant.

SAM_0962.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

a couple of random pix from bajanomad to show what passes for roads there....and these aren't the worst ones, just what I could find in a 2minute surf....and I've attached a couple of a coastal "road" in Sonora....in the first one, there is about 12" from my outside tire to the 40' P1010174.thumb.JPG.281889dc096ceee06bea1dropoff into the sea....you do NOT want wheels scrabbling or hopping here.....and you can see from the mud on the windshield what the road in was like...I couldn't have gotten there in 2WD vehicle.  

there's also the issue that even the "good" Mexican roads (akin to US interstates) are horrid, and just brutal on the suspension.  often crappy roadbuilding plus lots of hammering by double semis mean lots of potholes and road damage, plus in Baja you have lots of road washouts due to rains.  Mexico 1, the road that runs the length of Baja, is far from one of the "good" roads.  the 4WD truck has a much stouter front suspension than the 2WD, so this is one more reason to do the conversion..

2.  I strongly suspect that grafting the sunrader body onto a 4WD truck might be simpler than trying to convert the existing truck to 4WD.  how mechanically knowledgeable are you?  how's your welding?  this is a super hardcore job, either grafting the 'rader onto a 4WD chassis or modifying the current one to be 4WD.  there are a LOT of differences between the 2WD and 4WD trucks*, and if you're even considering this, either direction, you need to be looking for a decent condition 4WD truck to use as a donor.   either way, you'll spend more on this conversion than you did on buying the Sunader in the first place.

3.  so....you probably should do it, the job will be expensive and a PITA and will take months at a minimum......but you are going to Baja, the land of the creative mechanic.......

*for example, a guy I know locally who's an expert on Yotatrux was showing me how he built his latest rock crawler out of a 2WD chassis rather than a 4WD due to the different frame arch.....the 2WD arch is higher and allows him more room for suspension travel.  this probably wouldn't affect you, but I mention it just to show how different the trucks are.

P1010175.JPG

On the other hand I have a friend who actually calls himself Baja Wally who goes to Baja every year in a 2wd 79 Bandit and has never had any problems. I guess it's all about choosing how aggressively off road you want to be. He's sent me tons of pics of him parked in remote locations and on beautiful beaches. I have done a fair amount of traveling 4x4 only roads in the Sierra's myself. Off road enough to get kicked out by the forest service 3 times cause I didn't actually have a 4x4. Never got stuck once. The rear duallies give quite a bit of traction. The big drawback with a Sunrader is the lack of power and the height. Trees, roads that are seriously slanted, and very steep hills will be a problem. No trees in Baja so that's off the table. Those big rocks look formidable but I just wouldn't go there. I have pulled big rocks out of my way though and stopped and filled in deep ruts.

I asked my mechanic son-in-law how much to convert my Sunrader to 4x4. He said at least 5 grand and that's with him doing the work for pretty much nothing. If you want to have someone you have to pay do it, I think you would find buying a 4x4 truck and a slide in camper would be cheaper

Linda S

34 minutes ago, linda s said:

I asked my mechanic son-in-law how much to convert my Sunrader to 4x4. He said at least 5 grand and that's with him doing the work for pretty much nothing. 

Linda S

Your son-in-law must really like you - or you've got something on him.   I wouldn't do that job for free for MY mother-in-law.  I don't think I'd even do it for myself.  I built two 4WD mini-trucks back in the day when neither Toyota or Datsun made them.  A lot of work.  Now?  Yeah, you can strip parts from a junked factory 4WD and swap them over - but it is an awful job unless it is a real clean truck with zero rust anywhere.  If I wanted one - I'd get a good 4WD truck and just swap the RV body over to it.

Well he did quote me 5 grand and I know I can get the parts for way less. That's his way of discouraging me. Yes he does like me. He is completely remodeling a house I bought in a foreclosure auction that needs mucho work. I will pay him but he will fight me about it before he gives in. He had very bad parents and considers me his real Mom

Linda S

That is similar to my situation except I am the son-in-law in my late 60s, and my mother-in-law is in her 80s.  She is more like my real mother now.