Did I Kill My Deep Cycle Battery?

woolfgo

i have a pretty new deep cycle battery. no more then six months old. i was parked in my rv staying over night in front of a friends house plugged into shore power. my battery light was on saying charging for a while. the light started blinking which to my understanding of my rig means the battery is 90 % full. i decided to turn my fridge on and run it off 12v and the light stopped blinking and went back to red. ( thought this was a good idea for some reason...) woke up and little red light that says my battery is charging no longer was on but i was still running on shore power and electricity was working fine from shore power. wen i turned shore power off and tried to run my lights off of 12v they wouldn't turn on. i clicked on my panel that says waste tank fresh water grey water and battery life levels to check what my battery life was and it didn't turn on. i then thought to turn on the car thinking that the alternator would start to repower the 12v but for whatever reason i kept the shore power on and checked my battery life again. it came on for a second and then died. thought maybe it just needed to stay plugged in to charge without fridge or anything on. so left it plugged in for a while and that didn't help. now looking into it i am reading that i most likely killed my deep cycle battery. does anyone know if this is correct? any advice? any tricks? could it be anything else?

I leave my rig plugged in so the fridge can stay cold for weeks. Never killed my battery yet. I'm thinking your problem must be in the wiring somewhere. It is possible that your battery was just a dud though. it must still be under warranty. Take it back

Linda S

. . . that i most likely killed my deep cycle battery. does anyone know if this is correct? any advice? any tricks? could it be anything else?

Deep-cycle batteries can endure many 100% discharge cycles with no damage.

OP it is important as to what kind of charger you have if it is the older style charger they had two systems inside of the same box. They have a charging system and a 12 volt DC system that runs the lights etc. There is a relay inside the box that turns off the battery connection to the lighting and allows the charging system to charge the battery the other side lights the lights. So it is very possible that the charging system is not working yet the lights still are. If it is the newer switching supply system that is not the case they are all connected together this is why you will need a volt meter to find out just what is going on.