Propane Tank Turn Handle/valve

Kane

Is rebuilding the handle Valve assembly to turn on the propane as simple as a hose Bibb for water?

Turned on my propane today and as I was opening the valve it leaked out gas mid way and then once fully opened it stopped, closed valve and re opened many times, same thing. I haven't done anything new to this it just started on its own today.

When I'm fully opened it doesn't leak at all, soapy water test, no bubbles.

Anybody know if these valves are similar to water hose Bibb type where the have a rubber seat on the ends?

Thank You

do you have a permen et built in tank if so you need to replace the valve. if you have a removable type tank. how old is the tank maybe better to replace that type of tank. cant take chances with propane.

Mine is factory installed, I'd have to go through the closet sub floor to take it out. It does come out by not a simple remove.

I'm assuming you would call this permanent?

Any suggestions where to buy the replacement valve?

Is rebuilding the handle Valve assembly to turn on the propane as simple as a hose Bibb for water?

Turned on my propane today and as I was opening the valve it leaked out gas mid way and then once fully opened it stopped, closed valve and re opened many times, same thing. I haven't done anything new to this it just started on its own today.

When I'm fully opened it doesn't leak at all, soapy water test, no bubbles.

Anybody know if these valves are similar to water hose Bibb type where the have a rubber seat on the ends?

Thank You

Hose bibs usually have adjustable stem packings that allow you to tighten the packing nut to clamp down more on the packing. Gas valves usually have o-rings and no "gland nut" to tighen down and stop leakage. That being said, any gas appliance I'm acquainted with is supposed to be used only when full-on with the valve handle tight when turned as far as it will go counter-clockwise. So just because you have a stem leak when opening the valve - it does not mean it's going to leak when full open and tight.

I just got an email today from someone who asked this question to Manchester tank. They are the makers of virtually all permanent mount tanks in RV's. They seal when fully open and fully closed. Don't crank them too hard one way or another or you can damage those seals. A little leak in between is not unusual and not considered a major concern.
Linda S