Several places will sell you a complete exchange unit with the new gears of your choice for $750. Marlin Crawler is one of them. Seems more cost-effective to just spend $250 on the new parts and have someone install them (depending on labor cost). Or do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. If you can find a used one for $250 like someone has posted here - it's a great deal. Problem with that sort of thing is - when buying a used Hotchkiss center-section from a junkyard - you rarely know what you're getting. Parts often come with a 30 day warranty and if you go through all the install work and it makes a bad noise - all you get is your purchase price back once you return the part. Kind of a crap-shoot.

It took me less than 2 hours to swap in the 3rd member. Installation was done with basic hand tools. You need to find someone who has or wants to upgrade to 5.29's. Check with your local 4wd forums for Toyota guys that have up graded. More often than not they will have their 4.56 rear 8" for sale.

One word of caution to that. Many off-roaders buy factory seconds, imperfect ring and pinion gears. That because they are much cheaper and sold primarily for the off-road guys that use their trucks mostly off road and don't care about a high speed "growl" from their rear axle. Yukon is probably the #1 maker and seller of new gears. That's the company Marlin Crawler uses. Yukon sells their new gears in two versions. High quality "perfect" for highway use - and lower quality "imperfect" for mud-boggers. Yukon sells the good gears under the name "Yukon Gear." They sell their factory seconds under the name "US Standard Gear." I'd ask before buying a used unit from someone.

Totally missed the point.

Most off-roaders take out their factory-set 4.56's drop outs and replace them completely.

If they are buying cheap gears good for them. The ones that come around for sale are factory 3rd member complete unmolested drop-outs.

As with anything do some research and trust your instincts. It could be a 3rd member or a whole RV. Research, then research some more.

I didn't "miss the point." And . . I cannot comment on what "most" off-roaders do since I have no way of knowing what or who "most" is. The fact remains that some have factory setups for sale and some have units with aftermarket gears. Yukon has sold off many of the imperfect gears and markets them to off-roaders. Who do you think has bought them? All I stated was a warning and a suggestion to "ask before you buy." Got a problem with that?

I asked for a ballpark figure. They said around a grand rebuilt and installed. That seems to be the average.

It's 3 hours bench work to install and setup the gears and likely another 3-4 hours to remove and reinstall the Hotchkiss center-section . $250 for the new parts. Sounds like $94 per hour if parts are included. $125 per hour if the quote is without the parts. Sounds about average. We have shops aound here with rates from $75 per hour and up.

I didn't "miss the point." And . . I cannot comment on what "most" off-roaders do since I have no way of knowing what or who "most" is. The fact remains that some have factory setups for sale and some have units with aftermarket gears. Yukon has sold off many of the imperfect gears and markets them to off-roaders. Who do you think has bought them? All I stated was a warning and a suggestion to "ask before you buy." Got a problem with that?

You win.

I'll take my suggestions and writeups elsewhere.

You win.

I'll take my suggestions and writeups elsewhere.

Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to make a contest out of posting. That was not my intent Just making the point that I did indeed read your post carefully and understand you got a good deal on an OEM setup. I almost bought a set of those factory-second gears when I started out and was quite surprised to find out that existed as "new gears."