Replacing Frig

jmowrey

I'm contemplating removing and replacing the frig in my 85 Dolphin. I'll be using essentially the same model, a Dometic 2410 (the original is a Dometic 2400) so there should be no issues on getting it to fit. I'm a fairly handy guy, more of a carpenter than a mechanic. But I can usually muddily through stuff. Looks like I can get a new unit for somewhere in the $700-$900 range, including shipping. But I"m getting conflicting information on the need for this replacement as well as on the complexity of the project.

Three questions:

(1) The reason I want to replace it is because it's temperature range had been getting pretty radical. It would vary from as low as 28 degrees up to 50 degrees. This was with the temp control turned up all the way. And it was more or less the same on gas or electric. So I went and noodled around with it and discovered the propane heating element had slipped down away from the insulated tube/tower thing,leaving a big gap, and was not properly aligned. I realigned it and secured it properly (a couple of screws had fallen out). Now it's working much better. With the temp control turned way down, it's ranging from about 32 to about 42. The several tech places I have talked to tell me it sounds like my cooling unit is going bad. Since I'm seeing this much improvement after my repair, I"m wondering if that's true. Should my temp be varying by this much?

(2) Seems to me the only way I'm going to get the old one out and the new on in is through the cab. And I will have to remove the passenger seat and one of the chairs by the table in the coach. I have the rear door, rear kitchen and bath model. Any thoughts from anyone on this?

(3) Is the actual connection job as easy as it looks? I'm assuming the entire new unit comes fully assembled and all I will have to do is connect the gas line and and then plug the unit in. I'm hoping the gas connection will be in a similar place on the new unit. But I realize I may have to cut or extend the gas line, depending. I've worked with a gas line before when I installed a new cooktop. It seemed pretty easy. Likewise for removal of the old unit. Looks like I just need to disconnect the propane line and unplug. Once I find all the screws holding it in, in theory it will just slide out into the coach. Also, it looks like it will barely have room enough to slide in far enough that I can begin to maneuver it through the coach and out the cab door. But it should work.

Any help or advice on this before I begin is appreciated. We have a real lack of reliable and competent RV repair places here in Santa Fe. I"m not excited about attempting this. I'd rather pay the price to have this work done, but not if they are going to mess it up. I'm thinking I probably can't screw this up too much more than the idiots we've worked with here before. But then again, maybe I can! The alternative is to drive it to Albuquerque, 70 miles away, and leave it with Camping world. They have a big operation down there with lots of repair staff. I've heard they are fairly competent and reliable. But, of course, they will be incredibly expensive. And I won't know how good they are until they mess it up for me.

Thanks for any info that might guide me on this.

The outside temperature has major effects on an ammonia based cooling system. They can usually cool about 40 degrees below ambient outside temp. If yours is doing that I think it's working fine. Turn it to about the middle temp range and do some measurements comparing it to outside temp. Day and then night when it's cooler. If it's around 40 degrees below outside temp your fine. Any ammonia smells? That's the warning that cooling units are going bad or gone.

Linda S

I've never had to replace one in an RV like your's. I just replaced one in a big Coachmen truck camper and had to strip the door and door perimeter hardware off to squeeze the refrigerator out the door.

From what you describe - sounds like it is working pretty well anyway. I do not see the benefit of having cooler-units replaced in these older refrigerators. It does not make the refrigerator "like new" and it will still be subject to other failures (burner, gas valve, thermostat, etc.). Considering that many replacement parts for these refrigerators are no longer available - I'd never go for a new cooler unit. Complete used working refrigerator - yes.

I recently tried to buy some parts for my RM2400 Dometic and got nothing but a run-around. I mean just simple parts too. After three calls to Dometic USA headquarters - I found out they can not even give me part #s for much of it. So I can't even look for new-old-stock on Ebay.

Nothing esoteric about hookup. Just conventional flares on the gas line, 120 VAC hook-up along with I assume a 12 volt DC hook-up.

If the cooling unit is bad replacing it does indeed make the fridge like new. Had mine done 10 years ago and still works perfect. I have never had any other part go bad on any of my Rv fridges. In this case I also think his fridge seems to be working fine

Linda S

I'm glad to hear from two long-time owners that our frig is probably okay. Janice and I have decided to go into the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode. We've never had a problem with food going bad. And the freezer has never failed to keep ice and ice cream (most importantIy!) solid. I only started in on this notion of the frig having a problem because I decided to put a thermometer in there. Sometimes too much information can be a bad thing. I'm pulling the thermometer out so I can relax and enjoy the rest of the season!

Thanks for the replies.

Joe

The one in my 87 was original the one in my 90 is original never have done any thing to either one of them. I have helped others replace the cooler units it's not a bad job and it pretty much makes them new again. Out side air temp is the clue in cool weather it will freeze stuff if you don't turn it down when it's hot 40-45 is pretty normal.

"Like new" by just replacing the cooling unit is a big stretch. Still got many other parts that can fail. Yes, if a cooling unit fails - but the burner, gas valve, heating elements, and thermostats are working well - then you'll have a good working unit. That is -until something else fails. Saying that is like saying putting a new engine in a truck with 200K miles makes the whole truck like new. NO it does not. It may make it run like new until something else goes.

Are you people claiming that control switches, boards, heater elements, gas valves, and burners never fail? Come on! I've fixed several with those problems. My point was . . and still is - with some of these units - you could put in a new cooling unit - then have a gas valve fail a year later and be in for another large expense - or perhaps have no way to fix at all if it is not available.

I'll further note that just because Linda got one and all is working fine - does not indicate that is the way such a repair always works out for everyone. Now - if you are saying that some shops who put in new cooling units also renew all the other controls - then it's a different story. I doubt that though.

on a winnie warrior - all you have to do is remove the front pax seat- 4 bolts, easy job.

As for the efficiency of your current unit, I agree with Linda, these units will not cool as well on really hot days. In Florida when it gets in the 90's and the sun is heating up the cabin, my 2401 will pull the freezer down to about 10 and the frig to about upper 40's. Overnight it will get to lower 40's. Out west (Colorado, much cooler).

Also curious if your testing was done with the unit stationary and LEVEL. Yes it makes a difference.