New England

PapaFred

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might open a can of worms with this question but here goes! Where do I get the best maple syrup? Need a gallon to carry back to family,saw one sign $45 per gallon. Is that about right?

Yes. VT, ME VT is the largest producer.

I might open a can of worms with this question but here goes! Where do I get the best maple syrup? Need a gallon to carry back to family, saw one sign $45 per gallon. Is that about right?

There is no such thing as "best." All depends on your personal taste. I was a syrup producer for many years. Some people insist only buying the triple-A fancy grade that is pretty clear and has a light taste. Others - including me - prefer the cheaper, lower-grade dark syrup that has a lot more maple flavor.

A few years ago - LL Bean won an award for having the "best" maple syrup from Quebec and it was later found out to be made from beet sugar and artificial flavoring with NO maple content (they got sued).

"Best" is the one you like the best - not what the grade stamps say. I prefer syrup made by small producers on a wood fire with no reverse-osmosis machine. Big producers run the sap first through an ultra-violet sterilzer, then a reverse-osmosis machine, then boil it mostly down on an oil burner and then finish it on a gas burner. Makes a nice clear syrup but does not have the flavor that I like from a small rig with wood.

I don't know if things have changed since the mid 1970s. When I lived near the Canadian border in VT, the nearest motor vehicle office was in Montpelier. I had to drive there many times. Long ride to get a registration. I used to buy vehicles cheap out-of-state with no titles and then get them registered in Vermont that did not require one.

Well there's a dmv in Burlington and Rutland, but I'd assume Montpelier is still closer to the northeast kingdom for stuff like that. I was going to say, you can do registration online now, but I would imagine most of the NEK doesn't have Internet!

I prefer the low grade dark pure VT syrup! "Serrup" as Vermonters say. Only the tourists buy grade A Amber. No flavor. Buy from small producers, not in the store. You can get tours of sugar houses in east Montpelier at the Bragg farm and Morris farm.

App gap is a little ambitious for a motorhome. Glad you survived haha

If you want to see some nice covered bridges, try New Hampshire. I know I should be selling you on Vermont, but they honestly have the nicest/biggest covered bridges. Specifically Bath and Swiftwater.

Drove 231 miles today from the white mts to Boothbay Harbor. Decided to do the coast of Maine and Acadia nat park first and give the leaves some time to turn. Mr. Breeze is purring right along!

I used to own a cabin nearby in a little town named Calais. I was kind of amazed at the way many locals lived and had fun. Especially the lobster boat drag races. That was 30 years ago. I suspect things there may have changed a little. I went to the Boothbay Harbor and took my son on a halibut fishing trip. We got nothing. Terrible fishing. When we got back the captain said -"yeah, it's been slow." So I asked him how long "it's been slow." He replied with a heavy New England accent - "oh, about 20 years."

Yes, the tide-change is amazing. And . . . unlike Florida - at least when I was there 25-30 years ago - almost no fish of any kind. Lobster guys I met blamed it on over-fishing and trespassing by the Norwegians. This - while the lobster guys were catching any type of living thing they could find and use it for bait. I don't know if that has changed or not. I dug up a lot of mussels but fish of any size seemed to all be gone. At least I got to eat a lot of lobster and learn what a "shedder" is. I also got to experience hurricane Bob when it hit that area. I had a Chevy camper-van parked by the water and it almost got blown over.

Keep going north and east the tides start to get over 20' Perry Maine is a good place for tides. It's also half way between the equator and the north pole work your way up to West Quaddy it's the eastern most town in the US (does that make sense?). If you want fish on the Maine coast you'll need a boat. They still race lobster boats probably all ways will.

If you want fish on the Maine coast you'll need a boat. They still race lobster boats probably all ways will.

I had a boat for use in the bay. Took a charter boat out into the ocean many times. Seemed to be devoid of life. That except for a few sharks and Minke whales. Just about totally fished out. And that was 25-30 years ago. Local fisherman at Boothbay blamed it on Norwegian commercial fisherman.

I had a boat for use in the bay. Took a charter boat out into the ocean many times. Seemed to be devoid of life. That except for a few sharks and Minke whales. Just about totally fished out. And that was 25-30 years ago. Local fisherman at Boothbay blamed it on Norwegian commercial fisherman.

Some days you win some days you get rained out I have never failed to catch some thing. Maybe because I don't care if I catch any thing or not.

Maineah, I'm going to stay in Acadia awhile then follow coast then north up hwy 1 to border then back down hwy 11. Do you think I can get into Baxter state park in this 21 ft rig with carrier on back ?

Yes I think so it's doubtful that they will question you I believe it's 9' high and 22 feet long' for a MH so it's unlikely they will throw you out for a few inches.

If you are coming back south Fryeburg Fair is worth a visit great country fair it's the 4-11 of Oct. camping maybe a problem it's a big attraction. if it's some thing you might want to do I'm 8 miles from there and you are welcome to camp at my place I'm sure we can fit you in all though we only have 80 acres.

Greenville is nice and it's kind of on your route. We are in the town of Brownfield (not Brownville) on the Saco river.

Yeah that's a OK mountain trip in a toy home I did the sunrise once that was pretty cool and Katahdin once also. There is so much to see and do in Bar Harbor it would take weeks!

Trying to catch up here;

I took my Toyota over the kangamangus this year and it was slow but man was it beautiful at that pace. I used to live in Swiftwater, so I've traveled the road a couple times but it was never this scenic. I guess I was a lot younger and traveling a lot faster.

I met a guy in Maine who claims to have owned the worlds fastest lobster boat. And by lobster boat, I mean an RC boat. Anytime you hear "lobster boat race", it's all remote control scale models. Good times. If you get a chance to take Mainah up on his offer, go for it. He's a good guy, we met up this year and he helped me out with some electrical stuff and we spent some time looking for good old Vermont brew to take home with him (but spent a good hour trying to find it with no luck). Heady Topper sells out quick 'round these parts! Also, I'm not too impressed by the Fryeburg fair, but maybe it's gotten better since I was a kid. Either way, you'll enjoy your visit with "Mainah"!

If you are still on the coast, there's tons of awesome stuff on Rt.1. Some of my favorites: Flo's steamed hotdogs, Kittery trading post, and the miles of antique stores! Also, try to find an ice cream shop that will blow your mind called "the scoop deck", located somewhere in or around Wells area, on Rt.1 I believe.

. Anytime you hear "lobster boat race", it's all remote control scale models.

That is certainly not what I was referring to. But maybe things have changed. When I was staying in Calais, Maine - rusted out junked cars with big V8s were being saved so the engines could be swapped into "racing" lobster boats. They were "inboard-outboard" type so it was easy to swap in a non-marine car engine. They raced those lobster boats right there in the bay. Real boats, not minature RC models.