New England

PapaFred

Not too many lobster boats any more have any thing less than a big displacement turbo diesel!

I'm talking 25-30 years ago. I suspect today - not many junked cars with big V8s in them anyway. Back then - it's likely a big gas V8 would out perform a marine turbo-diesel even if that WAS the norm. But I think the racing boats were junkers anyway. Not the good ones. That being said, a gas engine will just about always have more horsepower and torque then a diesel engine with the same bore and stroke and same aspiration. That's why John Deere had to use a 152 cubic inch diesel to make the same power as a 135 gas engine. Or why Chevy had to come up with a 379 cubic inch diesel to make the same power as a 305 gas engine.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually they have "full size" lobster boat races every year in Maine.

A guy out of Stonington used to have the fastest boat in the area.

He named it "UFO".

Well the owners don't think so they can swing a much bigger prop with the diesels. By the way never seen a outdrive lobster boat kind of had to throw the pots over the stern.

That's odd. Maybe they canned it because of the emissions on the open water? I have no idea, all I know is I've always known lobster boat races to be RC. I'd love to watch a real lobster boat race!

Just saw Fred's response. That's weird, I've never heard of people racing real boats, but I've seen plenty of the RC stuff. Then again, I don't live in Maine. Good to know

It was a big deal - at least on the bay in Calais, Maine when I used to stay there. I still have a few of the official lobster boat race T-shirts. It looked to me along the same line as tractor pulls we had in New York during the County fair season. But it was souped up boats instead. I met quite a few low-budget lobstermen who did not have high-end boats. The boats had closed cooling systems with radiators just like cars and trucks do. Seems it was pretty easy to swap in any engine they wanted. I was friends with one of the lobster guys - that's why I was there. He did not rely on lobsters to make all his living. He did many other things. He built boats in the winter, worked as a carpenter in the summer, etc. There were many part-timers in the area with low-budget boats. Things were not going well there either (terrible economy and fishing).

There are those that use out boards also but that is not considered a lobster boat hence they don't get to race with the big boys..

If anyone ever gets to Calais, Maine - I'd like to know if the little diner is still there. It was a non-tourist type place, used by the locals called the "Doughnut Hole." Had some of the best diner food (and chowder) I've ever had in my life. But - that was a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Been boondocking for awhile. Lady from my hometown picked us up on Facebook and invited us to stay at her 80 acre place 13 miles outa presque isle having a blast! Wife saw a moose come right beside toy with gen running. Rode to fort kent and leaves are starting to turn up that way.

When you come south stop by. Yeah the leaves are changing here in the Mt's below freezing twice so far this month frost again tonight. Park up by the house and we'll plug you in!

I'm going to be away the 15th and 16th be back the afternoon of the 17th other than that we'll be around.

Baxter State Park Maine has restrictions: no motorcycles or pets, no vehicles wider than 7ft, taller than 9ft, longer than 22ft! Ole Mr.Breeze got in!!! Awesome, the foliage was beautiful! I would rank the road in my top 10 that I've done which include the Alcan, Beartooth, Pacific Coast, Blue Ridge Parkway, Going to the Sun Road!

Had a great visit with Maineah! He plugged the toy in, fed us well and even tightened my alternator belt. What a nice home and a great piece of property with awesome views, plus a great wife! Thx my friend!

Had a great visit with Maineah! He plugged the toy in, fed us well and even tightened my alternator belt. What a nice home and a great piece of property with awesome views, plus a great wife! Thx my friend!

Glad you stopped by come again and spend some more time!

Been on the road 6 weeks, 3500 miles so far. I'm in East Canaan Conn for the night. Anybody know any good campgrounds or sites to see in the Catskills? Headed that way tommorrow.

Depends on what you like and what you are calling the "Catskills." I lived in that general area for 40 years and just moved out 1 year ago. The actual Catskill Mountain area lost it's mystique to me a long time ago. It was more fun back in the days when the area was called the "Jewish Alps" and had some pretty neat rural resorts. Like depicted in the movie Dirty Dancing if you remember that. I'm talking Sullivan, Greene, Ulster, and Delaware Counties. My wife helped run a water-powered saw and grist mill in East Meredith for many years. That's in Delaware County and what I'd call one of the prettiest areas of the Catskills. If you want to see an original water-powered mill- still in operation when the water isn't too low - the Website is at: http://www.hanfordmills.org/ Personally I find Otsego County more interesting. Adjacent to Delaware County, just as pretty if not more so - but technically part of the Appalacians and not part of the Catskill Park that's 15 miles away. Otsego County has Cooperstown that is a beautiful place when not packed with summer tourists; Has the Baseball Hall of Fame (never went inside the place). Also the Farmer's Museum (I've worked there), the New York Historical Society and Fenimore House (I used to work there). Cooperstown was founded by Judge Cooper - the father of the guy who wrote "Last of the Mohicans." If you saw the movie - that waterfall in the movie took place at nearby Glens Falls (in the real story and not the movie).

Cooperstown also has a state park and campground on beautiful Otsego Lake. 15 miles from here is Cobleskill where you can go underground and see Howes Caves if interested - discovered by a few cows many years ago. If you want to visit John Lennon's widow - she has a farm in nearby Franklin (Delaware County). Warning - if Yoko Ono is home - she is NOT very friendly.

http://www.cooperstowngetaway.org/things-to-do

https://howecaverns.com/

http://www.hanfordmills.org/

The Catskills are beautiful and in full color! Unfortunately the state parks are closed and the private campgrounds are closing. Did find a KOA near Woodstock opened till the 31st. Hard to believe with good camping weather and awesome fall foliage nobody's here!

The Catskills are beautiful and in full color! Unfortunately the state parks are closed and the private campgrounds are closing. Did find a KOA near Woodstock opened till the 31st. Hard to believe with good camping weather and awesome fall foliage nobody's here!

I haven't been to Woodstock since 1969. Just about all the campgrounds where I am are closed except for deer and bear hunters. It has snowed twice this week. Just enough for me to winterize my Toyota RVs and put them away for the winter. One day it's 70 degrees F. Next day 30F. 28 F this morning. Snow photos are today. Non-snow from yesterday.

post-6578-0-44911800-1445087048_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-92631600-1445087049_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-06211900-1445087051_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-02609100-1445087186_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28412200-1445087187_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-62942800-1445087188_thumb.jp

• 6 months later...

Hello Vermonter glad you had a fun safe trip! I left the Poconos and came down the spine of Virginia crossed over into southern West Virginia to the New River Gorge national scenic River.What an awesome place! Hung out there a few days and they were calling for bad weather for the next several days ,so I loaded up and headed for the house.Was gone 2 months and travelled 5,200 miles. All in all a great trip! Already planning the next one. Leaving Labor Day for Hungary Horse Montana and Lost Johnny Campground!

• 2 weeks later...