The 2 ports on the top of an 22r engine (front & back)

Where are these ports supposed to be hooked up to?

(This is how they installed the weber carb 2 years ago, but every picture i see of that engine with the swap has them connected)

As you can see, They plugged the front one and just left the back one open.

note: the first picture is mine, And the second is a picture i found on the internet.

Thanks for your helps guys :)

post-5893-0-65480900-1440380953_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-76414000-1440381082_thumb.jp

Second one is sorta correct. They put a breather cap on the first vent and a hose and PCV set up on the back vent. The PCV goes to the intake manifold or to a port in the base of the carb

Second one is sorta correct. They put a breather cap on the first vent and a hose and PCV set up on the back vent. The PCV goes to the intake manifold or to a port in the base of the carb

ours is the first picture, what should i do to fix what you see in the picture?

leave the first one alone with the cap, or install a air filter thing like in the second picture?

Back one to the base of the carb?

I have a hose on first vent running under big breather where that white cap is.

any possibility of a picture so i don't screw something up? lol

You are talking about the second picture up there ^ correct?

Edited by new RVowner

I'm sure parts store would have that piece,has a beveled end where hose fits.I was told this was better than just plugging hole and I've had no problems.The weber carb was best $$ I've spent on my rig!

I'm sure parts store would have that piece,has a beveled end where hose fits.I was told this was better than just plugging hole and I've had no problems.The weber carb was best $$ I've spent on my rig!

i agree, had ours for over 2 years now without a single problem. we were just wondering why there is a open hole on the top of the engine like that and why the other one is plugged.

i found these pics online just now and they show another way to use these top holes.....we are pretty lost trying to figure these out. LOL

post-5893-0-50274800-1440386854_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-29939800-1440386861_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-17295900-1440386866_thumb.jp

OK you need to start looking at what your have for a setup and not internet pics. You are just confusing yourself. :waaa:

You need a basic setup. The front vent is the fresh air inlet for the crankcase vent system. The rear vent goes to a vacuum port in the intake manifold. The fumes from the engine crankcase get burned in the engine. Your vent carb out the rear vent and it will make the engine compartment a mess.

In your #11 post the pic has the brass fitting and large rubber hose for the correct

What to do?? the second picture in your original post is the way to go is the simplest way to go.

Plan B is to follow the orginal design. The front vent gets connect to the air cleaner with a bolt on hose fitting so your have clean air going into the engine. The rear vent goes to the fitting on the intake or carb base.

Parts...For air cleaner http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Cleaner-Vent-Tube-Fitting-PCV-W-Bolts-And-Gasket-Fits-Most-14-Air-Cleaners-/121736926689?hash=item1c581615e1&vxp=mtr

For simple system...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Air-Breather-Filter-Valve-Cover-Vent-12mm-Red-UNIVERSAL-/140920946067?hash=item20cf8afd93&vxp=mtr

The PCV valve and hoses should be stock Toyota stuff

This is really simple stuff

OK you need to start looking at what your have for a setup and not internet pics. You are just confusing yourself. :waaa:

You need a basic setup. The front vent is the fresh air inlet for the crankcase vent system. The rear vent goes to a vacuum port in the intake manifold. The fumes from the engine crankcase get burned in the engine. Your vent carb out the rear vent and it will make the engine compartment a mess.

In your #11 post the pic has the brass fitting and large rubber hose for the correct

What to do?? the second picture in your original post is the way to go is the simplest way to go.

Plan B is to follow the orginal design. The front vent gets connect to the air cleaner with a bolt on hose fitting so your have clean air going into the engine. The rear vent goes to the fitting on the intake or carb base.

Parts...For air cleaner http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Cleaner-Vent-Tube-Fitting-PCV-W-Bolts-And-Gasket-Fits-Most-14-Air-Cleaners-/121736926689?hash=item1c581615e1&vxp=mtr

For simple system...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Air-Breather-Filter-Valve-Cover-Vent-12mm-Red-UNIVERSAL-/140920946067?hash=item20cf8afd93&vxp=mtr

The PCV valve and hoses should be stock Toyota stuff

This is really simple stuff

Thank you guys very much for all the help. Ok i will order the breather in the second link you had to put that on the front hole.

(as for the back hole (i have nothing left from the kit that i had installed 2 years ago, that is all gone.)

So that hole has been open like that for 2 years now :(

so, what do i have to buy to get that hole to go to the right place?

hose, clamps, etc

the trouble that we are having is ours still has all the emissions stuff still on it and if we ran a hose from the back hole to the ????> LOL

(the part that the hose would connect to does not look anything like what we see in that picture)

sorry, we are new at this ;)

It should go into this area, yes?

Thank you again for all the help, there is just so much extra stuff from the emissions and the old carb left, we are learning as we go.

post-5893-0-16812500-1440393823_thumb.jp

I'll try to post pictures of my setup soon. That spring is definitely not hooked up correctly. The back vent goes right where your arrow is pointing, yes. Looks like someone plugged that port. You may need to search a junkyard for parts.

You can connect the front vent to the base of the air filter housing, but a little K&N filter is maybe better. That's what I have anyway.

I'll try to post pictures of my setup soon. That spring is definitely not hooked up correctly. The back vent goes right where your arrow is pointing, yes. Looks like someone plugged that port. You may need to search a junkyard for parts.

You can connect the front vent to the base of the air filter housing, but a little K&N filter is maybe better. That's what I have anyway.

nice, thank you guys again for all the help :)

Can't wait to see those pics.

That front hole has been plugged for 2 years, That should have had fresh air going to it all along, yes?

(i assume to help cool the engine crankcase maybe, or to help get out that pressure buildup out)

Did that maybe cause any damage to anything by not getting the fresh air it needed for all this time.

(never going to that guy to fix my truck ever again, seemed like he was not a good as he thinks) ;)

And thanks to you guys here on this forum, we are learning to fix things ourselves.

Where does your power brake booster hook up to the intake??

Is there a plugged hole in the rear/side of one of the adapter plates??

For part just go to NAPA and get a new grommet, PCV valve and the molded rubber hose.

We already have the small breather coming from ebay to go on the front hole.

All we need to do is figure this out with the back hole.

What do these holes do anyway? I assume they bring fresh air in the crankshaft area to push out heat and un burned gases?

And then those gases get re-burned in the engine?

Does this help keep the motor running a little cooler? Does it help with the mileage at all?

And we have been driving our toy for over 2 years with it this way because we had a shop install the weber carb long ago and

that is the way they left it. did we hurt something maybe by it being this way?

sorry for all the questions, we are learning as we go. lol

ok, here is what we have for the booster.

post-5893-0-65715400-1440435576_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-08587200-1440435584_thumb.jp

post-5893-0-66809900-1440435592_thumb.jp

No harm IF you kept up on the oil changes. The burned gases will mix with oil and form acids if not vented constantly.

Do you have any of the left over parts?

If not here is what you need

.http://www.lceperformance.com/Weber-32-36-38-Carb-Linkage-Kit-p/1035021.htm

http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Block-Plate-Kit-Cyl-Head-20R-22R-RE-RET-p/1016009.htm.

Your remove EGR pipe and block off the opening. Then install fitting on intake and run rear hose to it.

Looks like this is the best photo I have of the spring. You can kind of see it back there.

post-6535-0-96501700-1440636122_thumb.jp

And maybe your carb doesn't have this port on the base? You can see where my PCV valve is routed in this photo. I plugged the location which is plugged on yours, but the base I have for my carb has a port in it for the pcv. I've put a breather on the front hole since taking this photo.

post-6535-0-43422800-1440636281_thumb.jp

Either way seems acceptable. It's obviously how it was meant to be set up. It's how I initially had mine set up.

I think there was a thread on a 32/36 swap where someone had issues with that hose sucking oil into the carb. Because of that and probably some other reasons I can't think of right now, I went with the K&N breather.

Possibly because of the size of the Weber air filter housing compared to stock, combined with the location of that port compared to stock, it's affecting something. I don't know. Could be that instead of supplying fresh air into the valve cover, the port is close enough to the throat of the carb that it's actually creating suction on that hose.

if you don't have that I think it should have come with it but those help parts sections in the parts stores have things like that and it should not cost very much.

If all else fails, put a breather on the front and T the PVC line into the brake vacuum line between the manifold and the 1 way valve on the vacuum line.