Can't Figure Out What Brakes Are On My 84 Toyota Odyssey

AutoZone is a tough place to shop. It is hit and mostly miss on finding knowledgeable people there. If I am not sure of something I go to NAPA. Far less aggravation.

HTH Jim

Okay so the only ones I see for half ton are square but I see ones for three quarter ton that look like them. And there's some for one ton also so I don't know if I go by the 83 chassis thats under it or 84 when they built it and possibly put three quarter ton on them.

Edited by scott50cal

AutoZone is a tough place to shop. It is hit and mostly miss on finding knowledgeable people there. If I am not sure of something I go to NAPA. Far less aggravation.

HTH Jim

It may be just a local anomaly, but Autozone in my area is by far the BEST place to find parts for an older vehicle. the closest auto-parts store in my area is an 80 mile round trip. There, in the city of Alpena, there are four auto-parts stores all in a cluster. NAPA, Carquest, Advance, and Autozone. During the last 3-4 episodes when I needed a part "now", none of the stores stocked what I needed except Autozone. That includes for my 1978 Toyota, my 1988 Toyota, and my 1994 Ford truck. So, at least with this store - I give it high praise. I used to think they all used the same "suggested stocking" lists - but it is obvious that this Autozone has a different strategy. And - I'm talking some fairly simple parts. Like a fuel filter for my 1988 Toyota? Only Autozone stocked it. Brake calipers and rotors for my 1994 Ford F250? Only Autozone had it. Struts for my 1998 Dodge van? Only Autozone had them. Yesterday, I drove there (the 80 mile run) again trying to find an air-filter cartridge for my 1994 Ford turbo diesel IDI truck (not very common). Well this time - Autozone told me they regularly stock one but someone came in an hour before me and bought it. I then went to all the auto parts stores and none ever stock it. Then even tried the Ford dealer and he laughed at me when I told him my truck was a 1994. Needless to say, Ford did not have it either. So, I've got to drive another 80 miles today to get it from Autozone. They now have it back in stock. I normally don't worry so much about an air-filter, but a damn mouse chewed a big hole right through mine.

I love Rock Auto since they have a huge selection and parts database. Sometimes too huge, though. When in doubt when you see too many different parts, NAPA has a more selective parts database where you can use your VIN number to narrow things down. I just went through this. I was trying to find rear axle seals for my 1994 Ford 10.25" full floating rear axle. Damn near impossible to figure out at Rock Auto since even when I typed in my HD 3/4 ton diesel - it showed me parts for all the other trucks as well including F150s. So I went to NAPA, got the SKF part #s, and went back to Rock Auto to order (much cheaper). In fact, NAPA want over $144 for a vacuum pump for my Ford truck. Autozone - $120. At Rock - $75 for a brand new one.

Okay so the only ones I see for half ton are square but I see ones for three quarter ton that look like them. And there's some for one ton also so I don't know if I go by the 83 chassis thats under it or 84 when they built it and possibly put three quarter ton on them.

I assume this is what you need. A 1983 or 1984 DLX cab&chassis RV takes the same brake pads as my 1988 duallie, I believe. If you use the Autozone parts database - it lets you exclude 1/2 ton trucks in your search.

post-6578-0-70228700-1439556568_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-87233900-1439556569_thumb.jp

I've gone to autozone and looked at the brakes they have there for 83 Toyota pickup which is what is under my 84 Odyssey. Nothing matches. Does anybody know what brakes are on the front of it. here's a pic of them

Diagrams with measurements are nice to have. Here's brakes for the HD 3/4 ton Toyota 1980-1983.

post-6578-0-22136800-1439561739_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-41864800-1439561741_thumb.jp

You have an advantage over me JD, you know what you are doing!

If I am looking for a part I am not sure of, in this area the last place I will go is AutoZone, Around here I may get a clerk who is not a native English speaker, which further confuses things and may not have been born when my truck was built. There are some good parts people there but they are the exception not the rule.

I just had one where Advance Auto could not find me lug nuts and the clerk told me they could not be ordered! I went back with a part # to the same clerk and had them the next day. That is at the front desk, at the commercial desk in the rear are some knowledgeable people and cheaper prices. It is for mechanics and shops, I have to ask a friend if I can use his account to go there and have to be careful not to take advantage.

The local NAPA is great on customer service, very knowledgeable and will go out of their way to find the right part. Usually more expensive but worth it if I am not 100% sure of what part I need.

Good service is where you find it. Jim

Over the last five years or so, I've basically moved completely away from using any of the chain parts stores. There's just so much information online (like this excellent forum!), if you know where to look—and if you have the inclination and patience to do a lot of reading. Not to mention, you nearly always save money by ordering parts from places like RockAuto.com, Amazon, eBay, etc.

I have had great luck at Napa but high prices. I just put a new hub assembly on my wife's Merc that I bought at O'Reilly's. The first one arrived with the wire for the antilock brakes broken off. The second one I installed and less than 400 miles later, the sensor assembly fell off of the hub. The third one has lasted 200 miles so far. The part from O'Reilly's is made in China and I wish that I had paid more for a better part.

I went with O'Reilly's due to low price. After pulling the front hub twice and having the car out of service for a week, it did not save me anything.

I have had great luck at Napa but high prices. I just put a new hub assembly on my wife's Merc that I bought at O'Reilly's. The first one arrived with the wire for the antilock brakes broken off. The second one I installed and less than 400 miles later, the sensor assembly fell off of the hub. The third one has lasted 200 miles so far. The part from O'Reilly's is made in China and I wish that I had paid more for a better part.

I went with O'Reilly's due to low price. After pulling the front hub twice and having the car out of service for a week, it did not save me anything.

Made in China by the lowest bidder, what could possibly go wrong! Jim

Good service is where you find it. Jim

Hey . . . I just went to the Ford dealer in Rogers City, Michigan in an attempt to look up a part for my 1994 Ford truck (transmission harness connector for E40D trans). The parts guy could not find the part on his computer system and claimed the parts-database was too complicated. So, he got on-line and started searching Ebay for the part I needed. He found one on Ebay that was OEM with the Ford part # on it, and then told me he could order it in for me. So - it's not just the aftermarket parts dealers that are not heavy on knowledge.

• 1 year later...

My experience with regard to most parts place seems to be the luck of the draw when it comes to who you end up with at the counter.  I find it easy insurance, if I want to buy parts from a local brick and mortar, is to look up the part number for them.  So for the brake pads, I would get a Bendix, Raybestos or other major brand part number and take that with me or even call it in.  Saves me a lot of dumb stares when trying to explain it to them.  I do this for my other vehicles.  I did this yesterday after attempting to buy something simple like a muffler for my Jeep Cherokee.  The counter person started with Federal or Cali emission questions then a half dozen other variables.  I pulled out my phone, looked up the part number and asked him if he had it in stock.  This is at a shop where the counter guys are typically good but I'm guessing new guy that couldn't filter out the options that were unlikely.  In looking it up myself, there are only 3 options, flanged direct fit (I'm welding it up so nope) Stainless (pricey) and the one I wanted, the standard clamp on pipe.  Thing is, all 3 are the same muffler application.  On mine the flange was already cut off.  Guy had difficulty getting past the computer software prompting each next question.

So if you want less headaches, look it up before heading out to the parts store.  You at least have the option to ask if the part they are selling is the equivalent.

55 minutes ago, scott50cal said:

Okay so what do I look up now for the back brakes on the free floating 1 ton 6 lug axle? The girl at Napa says she has no way to look it up

They would be shoes most likely and I think Linda posted the part numbers a while back. She knows em.

Well that axle didn't come on your year rig so your really searching for brake shoes for a 1990 V6 double wheel truck. here's the part number

http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~shoe~kit~rear~brake~04495-35141.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1990&Submodel=2+Wheel+Drive&Filter=(d=USA;1=3VZE;4=STD;7=RCB;8=WT;9=HLF;11=EFI;13=IV6;14=T1)&Location=rear-drum-brake-wheel-cylinder-backing-plate,,04495

They usually have some at Rock Auto but none of them appear to be the right ones  this time

Right ones but still very pricey. I know there are aftermarket ones just don't know what are the right ones. I think the Bendix 523 is right but all those alternate part numbers they have listed is confusing and the picture is wrong

Linda S

Okay but at least that's the part number then is the 044953 number and it's for a 1990 V6 one ton truck I take it? I'm surprised they fit an axle that is probably an 84. Will the axle seal Fit also?

Edited by scott50cal

The history of the axle isnt that important. You should replace the bearings in it no matter what it was used for and get it fresh fluid upon install. The ugly reality is they can say it was used to merely haul around a truck or tell you it served time as a wrecker truck; a smart person wont trust them and put in all new bearings. That makes the axle's history irrelevant. If its 6 lugs to a toyota pickup and a dually its most likely correct. Linda will strike me down if that statement is wrong; meaning the 2wd 6 lug axles are the same; aside from ratios.

- they should take the same brake parts.

Edited by Totem

On 9/1/2016 at 0:21 PM, Totem said:

The history of the axle isnt that important. You should replace the bearings in it no matter what it was used  . . . .a smart person wont trust them and put in all new bearings. 

A "smart" person ought to know how to look at a bearing and judge if they need replacement of not.  Replacing all cup & cone adjustable bearings with new as standard maintenance is a little crazy.

On 9/2/2016 at 3:28 PM, jdemaris said:

A "smart" person ought to know how to look at a bearing and judge if they need replacement of not.  Replacing all cup & cone adjustable bearings with new as standard maintenance is a little crazy.

Disagree if you do not know the "history" if you want to take the time to clean the grease out of them, look at them under a microscope  an  molecular scanner to the bearings and ensure they are good that's your business. Hey I'm as chep a guy as any and grabbing brearings and looking for play and slop is one thing; but when a rig and wife n kids are on the line and the axle is apart anyway, I would put new in. Just my opine; especially when I dont know the mileage of said bearings. - they can go in the other toyota - the one not carry my rolling pin weilding wife.

interesting, and how are those wear marks determined? can you show a photo, for I would like to know this skill. I've always just replaced. I never said replace on standard maintenance either; I stated as when history of use is not known. for all i know when i get an axle from the swamp man in Louisiana the cup n cones were under water for a month. perhaps the wear marks would show that though so I would love to learn

Edited by Totem