Why Is My 1985 Toyota Sunrader Fridge Not Working

RDw79

Google the MFG and get a set of instructions. The RV refers work very different than the one in your house.

Plug it in to use on 110 and see if the tubes in the back get hot. If they do but the fridge doesn't get cold your cooling unit is probably bad. They can be bought for about 400 bucks at several places online and eBay and they come with instructions that are pretty clear. You do have to pull the fridge out and it's a big job. Don't have to remove it from RV though. You can put the new cooling unit on inside the camper. That's how the guys that did mine replaced it

Linda S

I am a new to the rv world. This is my 1st rv and i dont know why my fridge isnt working

It has to make heat in back in order to get cold inside. Regardless if on 120 volts AC, 12 volts DC, or propane -it's all amounts to making heat - with an electric resistance heater or a gas flame. If your's has no heat - it is likely an easy fix. If it DOES have heat - then it might need a new cooling unit (if it's level when you tried it). I find good used 3-ways for $75-$150. In fact too many. I pass them up now. They can sometimes be had for free if you are willing to take a free camper off someone's hands. And then, just strip it. Anywhere I've lived, campers cannot be brought to the scrap-yard since they have too much fiberglass and/or wood in them. So - it's not uncommon to find complete RVs free if you remove them. I've got over a dozen good 3-ways and stopped looking for them. I'll never use what I have. And, as of yet, I've never had one fail which is odd. I say that since many I've had came from areas with a lot of snow and road salt and many look pretty rusty on the back. I've got a friend who takes all the RVs from me that I strip and he then sets them on fire and burns all the wood and fiberglass out of them. Then the scrapyard takes them. He does mine for free - but he charges other people $300 per RV to remove and get rid off. He makes out pretty good since, at least in the North East and Midwest - there seems to be no shortage of free RVs people want off their property. One big issue with used (or new) is shipping charges unless you can find one close enough to go and pick up in person.

Not sure how long you waited for it to get cool, but these refrigerators don't cool as quickly as the one in your house.

I can take quite awhile to cool down, Hours usually.

Last time I used mine the interior temp.was 75 when I turned it on (propane), 2 hours later it was down to 68.