Hello all. I'd like to get some ideas on where to start trouble shooting this problem.

I have been learning and tuning my 86' 22re , 4spd auto, since i got it a few months back. I have made progress and feel the engine is starting to function more as it should.

The problem that im facing now is that when i shift from park into reverse or drive the engine will stall out if i dont hold the brake and give it gas. It would do this when i first got the rig, but not as often because someone had the throttle stop screw adjsted and it was idling high. This idle increase may have been done to compensate for this problem or one of the other problems ive been working on.

The engine is idling closer to where it should now so the stall problem is constant. I am going to replace the EGR because it wont seat without a little tapping. I dont know if EGR replacment will help this problem or is even related but it is needed and is where i ended trouble shooting fuel system.

From what little i've read these transmissions dont have any vacum relation to the motor ,so i dont think any undetected vacum leaks could cause this problem.

If any of you good folks have run into something similar help me out. Thanks in advance. Bama.

On your injector body there is the throttle on the bottom and on top goes to the transmission, pull back the covering and you will see a little sleeve it should be adjusted so that its about an 1l8" from where it enters the cable housing.

You need a tach to set idle RPM in neutral. 750 rpm.

You can flatten a Coke can and cut a strip. Then loosen the two bolts on the back of the intake where the EGR line connects. Slip in the flattened aluminum and tighten the bolts. You have just complectly sealed the intake from a leaking EGR. Does it drive right? If not remove the aluminum cause the EGR is not the problem. If it fixes it then you hare to remove the ERG assy and clean out the crud.

Hello all. I'd like to get some ideas on where to start trouble shooting this problem.

I have been learning and tuning my 86' 22re , 4spd auto, since i got it a few months back. I have made progress and feel the engine is starting to function more as it should.

The problem that im facing now is that when i shift from park into reverse or drive the engine will stall out if i dont hold the brake and give it gas. It would do this when i first got the rig, but not as often because someone had the throttle stop screw adjsted and it was idling high. This idle increase may have been done to compensate for this problem or one of the other problems ive been working on.

The engine is idling closer to where it should now so the stall problem is constant. I am going to replace the EGR because it wont seat without a little tapping. I dont know if EGR replacment will help this problem or is even related but it is needed and is where i ended trouble shooting fuel system.

From what little i've read these transmissions dont have any vacum relation to the motor ,so i dont think any undetected vacum leaks could cause this problem.

If any of you good folks have run into something similar help me out. Thanks in advance. Bama.

Sure, the EGR can certainly cause a stall at idle. So can a large vacuum leak. You could try using some Berrymans' carb cleaner to clean the carbon out of the EGR. See if that frees it up.

Thanks for the replys. Have'nt had an oppurtunity to work on camper last couple of days. I did pull and clean the EGR before starting this post. It still sticks. Might pull it again and try the Berrymans though. I need to replace the valve cover gasket. Could a bad valve cover gasket cause a vacum leak? Thanks.Bama.

Thanks for the replys. Have'nt had an oppurtunity to work on camper last couple of days. I did pull and clean the EGR before starting this post. It still sticks. Might pull it again and try the Berrymans though. I need to replace the valve cover gasket. Could a bad valve cover gasket cause a vacum leak? Thanks.Bama.

No, the valve cover has nothing to do with the vacuum system.