Plumbing Leaks

I've had minor leaks since I bought my '91 Warrior (spongy floor near shower, visible dripping near generator on driver side, etc.) but it has definitely gotten much worse. Now, if I hook up to city water, there is a near constant series of drips that come from underneath the coach near the generator and (since I'm camped on an angle today) also running from underneath the sofa towards the door

Can anyone give me some insight about the big plastic box underneath the sofa? I'm assuming my water tank is there along with the water pump, since the rumbling of the pump comes from that area. Since the water pump "burps" even when a tap isn't open, I'm guessing that my main problem is underneath that box, which is bound by a metal strap and bolted down with screws.

What can I expect to find when I take out the couch and remove the strap? Should it be easy to spot the leak and replace the worn part? Or am I in for something way over my head?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently thousands of miles from home and afraid that the rare instance of hooking up to city water has made an existing problem horribly worse.

Over your head, depends on how high your head is : ) It is difficult to do a diagnosis in writing. I will throw a few things out there and hope others add some. If you can get the couch out on your own, you are off to a good start.

Having some experience at this the tank would not be my first suspect, possible but not the norm. So don't jump in there and start pulling the tank without looking around first.

Water always takes the path of least resistance and the wettest spot is not always the leak, but the lowest spot where the water will collect.

The grey plumbing and clamps are no longer widely available and the big box stores sell fittings called "shark bite" which makes us all capable of plumbing. Pricey but easy to use.

I would try to just get it patched untill I got home, let us know what you find, pictures would help.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Coupling-U008LFA/202270492

Just a sample there are all kinds of fittings available. HTH Jim

Are you using a pressure regulator to reduce the incomimg water pressure? I see some high levels at some places, at home it like 70-80 PSI !!!

Yep, I'm using one, but haven't always. I might've blown something out some time ago.

Over your head, depends on how high your head is : ) It is difficult to do a diagnosis in writing. I will throw a few things out there and hope others add some. If you can get the couch out on your own, you are off to a good start.

Having some experience at this the tank would not be my first suspect, possible but not the norm. So don't jump in there and start pulling the tank without looking around first.

Water always takes the path of least resistance and the wettest spot is not always the leak, but the lowest spot where the water will collect.

The grey plumbing and clamps are no longer widely available and the big box stores sell fittings called "shark bite" which makes us all capable of plumbing. Pricey but easy to use.

I would try to just get it patched untill I got home, let us know what you find, pictures would help.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Coupling-U008LFA/202270492

Just a sample there are all kinds of fittings available. HTH Jim

Thanks, Jim! My sofa is unbolted, but supported by some sturdy wood blocks that a co-op tech fabricated and installed; shouldn't be a problem to pull it out and have a closer look. How might I get a look at the actual water pump? Is it under that big plastic cover or located someplace else? I've looked through the sliding door under the shower pan and have felt around for wet carpet there but haven't been able to either see or feel any water, which makes the soggy wood under the bathroom tile sort of a mystery. It doesn't ooze water when I step on it, but it definitely is moist when I lift the tile. The water lines next to the water heater, as well as the carpet under there, are completely dry. Getting underneath the coach, the water is dripping mainly from the undercarriage on the driver's side. Some comes from the winterization drains, but most of it travels through the lower part of the faring and exits between the driver's door and generator door. I'm parked on a slant towards the passenger side to encourage rain water off of my bowed roof (it tends to pool at the roof air unit and leak through the vents there. I had the gasket replaced, but a Camping World tech said that the unit isn't sitting flush due to the bowing.)

Two more questions. One, I see the user serviceable plumbing under the cabinets in the galley and shower. Where are the other lines located? Two, what's under the floor wood? I'm a little concerned about the wood disintegrating and punching through to open air when I step out of the shower. If I don't run the water pump, there's no dripping/leaking. When I turn on the water pump for anything more than a toilet flush, hand wash or brief dish cleaning (really, it's the showers that cause the deluge) that's when the flow becomes readily apparent. There are no schematics for my rig on the Winnebago site, so I'm really flying blind here. I appreciate any help that you and others can offer. Thanks for your speedy response. I'll post some pics when I poke around some.

We have two different units mine is a 93 Sea Breeze, so exact answers are not possible. When you get the coach out or even maybe before. There should be 2 lines going to the tank, a large line, should be near the top,that is the fresh water fill and then a small line, likely grey in color coming out near the bottom of the tank. You should be able to follow that line to the water pump.

My unit had some alterations done and I can actually see the lines in the cabinets from the tank to where it goes under the shower, but we could have different floor plans.

I am surprised your water pump is not easy to access?

Hopefully someone with the same unit will chip in. Jim

Often a potable water leak turns out to be the water heater the bottoms rot out with tiny pin holes adding city water with higher pressure makes them leak worse it's some thing to have a look at.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took my rig to Marshall RV in Marshall, MI and we're all fixed up. Rita had a major leak right at the water pump (fitting sheared off - tech said bouncing down the road will do that after a while) and a minor leak at the low-point drain. The major leak is fixed and I've been able to have a look at a part of her that I've never seen before, so I better understand the anatomy in that part of the coach. The low-point drain leak is the one responsible for the soggy floor in the bathroom and it's a unique five-way configuration that would require extensive work at this point, so I declined. However, since the other leak has been fixed, the low-point drain doesn't seem to be leaking any more. Any ideas on why that would be? The floor under the sofa was wet, but not spongy and is already drying out - I've got a container of Damp-Rid under there. Thanks for your attention to this - I was right in leaving it to the pros this time around, and the price was very reasonable (also had some spot sealing done on the roof, sides and in front.)

The only thing I can think of is that the service tech cycled the LP drain and that cleared out some dirt or something and now the valve is sealing.

Great, as long as it is fixed and not ruining your trip. Repairs can be difficult to do when you are not near home.

As far as the other leak stopping, one word Gremlins! They love to give you a false sense of security and then come back when least expected and pull the rug out from under you. They have a particular fondness for RV's and electrical systems in cars.

Jim