Need A Coach Water Pump

midime2

I'm not getting much pressure from my pump. I'm going to look for a new one. What should I look for? I saw some "on demand" pumps. Is that the same as self priming? I saw some Shurflos that had a 55PSI rating. Is that too high for my Seabreeze? I'm new to this and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Before shopping for new pump, check and see if you have a pump filter, if so does it need to be cleaned or replaced. If not check and see if you have blockage in supply line to pump. Back flow valve's can also fail and cause issues. Unhook pump from lines and check it for debris in lines (your going to remove it anyway) disassemble pump and look for debris in pump. Rebuild kits are also available for many pumps online.

Google (your brand name) water pump, trouble shooting. Nothing worse than replacing something and having same problem.

HTH Jim

55 pounds is way more than you will need. And the old plumbing in your unit may not like that. We use a pressure regulator and set it to 35 pounds. This one is working fine for us.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWPYHW6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

35 pounds provides us with plenty of pressure, even for a shower. Even if you don't use an adjustable pressure regulator, you should definitely get one of the simple regulators that set the pressure to 40-50 automatically and use that whenever you hook up. They are very affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40055-Brass-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B003BZD08U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436110017&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+water+pressure+regulator

I've recorded water pressure readings as high as 90 pounds at some campgrounds. That would be a plumbing buster for sure.

Joe

had a frend tore his apart was full of plastic debre from the factury shure flo states the new pump will not have a warrenty if no strainer is installed. the basic shure flo is what I installed in my dolphin does a great job. unscrew strainers off of fawcet spout check for junk clog .

I think this is Shur Flo's current standard RV pump—I installed one last summer and have been very happy with it. Great price and easy installation.

http://amzn.com/B002XM5G70

I'm not getting much pressure from my pump. I'm going to look for a new one. What should I look for? I saw some "on demand" pumps. Is that the same as self priming?

"On demand" means the pump shuts itself "on" or "off" via a built in pressure switch.

"Self priming" means the pump can suck up water from a certain amount of feet below it - usually around 6 feet. In an RV - the pumps are just about always gravity fed water so priming is not an issue anyway.

Pressure in an RV does not have a lot of meaning. If a pump is rated at 55 PSI, that means it shuts itself off at 55 PSI. When you first turn the faucet on - you get that initial surge at 55 PSI and then as the water flows, the pressure drops to much lower. A 45 PSI pump and a 55 PSI pump can often pump exactly the same amount of water when the faucet or showerhead is open and running. It's basically just the stand-by pressure. GPMs is what makes water flow. Now if a pump flows (pushes) more water then pipe or show-head can handle, THEN the pressure comes up. You might see some benefit from 55 PSI with a low-flow showhead. 35-45 PSI is more the norm for an older RV. A Shurflo 45 PSI, 3 GPM pump is all you need.

A few more things you may, or may not want to know.

Your pump is likely what used to be the standard and now, is no longer made by Shurflo. It is adjustable and shuts itself "on" and "off" whenver you open the faucet. It will cycle on and off every time you turn on the faucet. It does this, because unlike a household water system, there is no pressure accumulator tank (unless you install one). RVs can have small plastic "trapped air" tanks that act as a big spring pushing against water so - when you turn the water on - the "spring" makes the water flow instead of the pump turning on an off all the time. Households use them to keep the pumps from wearing out. Since RVs are only part-time use - it's a low-concern item.

The new Shurflo pumps for RVs - called the "Revolution" have a bypass valve and never truly shut-off when using. The 55 PSI rating is kind of meaningless. That 55 PSI pump runs 30-40 PSI during normal useage.

Your pump might just need an adjustment. Or, it can be fixed with a repair kit. Or you can just buy new.

A new so-called "55 PSI, 3.5 GPM" pump only has high flow at zero pressure.

At 40 PSI, it flows 1.4 gallons per minute and uses 6 amps of power @ 12 volts.

At 30 PSI, it flows 1.6 gallons per minute and uses 5 amps of power @ 12 volts.

At 20 PSI, it flows 1.9 gallons per minute and uses 4.2 amps of power @ 12 volts

At 10 PSI, it flows 2.3 gallons per minute and uses 3.2 amps of power @ 12 volts

At 0 PSI, it flows 3 gallons per mintute and uses 2.8 amps of power @ 12 volts

I changed mine a few years ago - off the shelf item. Used old one to buy new. My old one was leaking.

New one included pressure switch which could be adjusted but worked fine as shipped.