I think I've read most of the tire talk. My new to me 90 Dolphin has a variety of tires aboard. Of the several rears is a LT 27 x 8.5 x 14R. The others are P somethings. I'm inclined to search for the truck tires since blowouts aren't my favorite thing. This is not my first RV. Anything I'm overlooking? Is the small difference in diameter a problem if they're all the same?

The fronts are two decent Goodyear marathons ... STs. I know the drill here, but they ride and steer just fine, IMO. I'm a slow driver. Any compelling reason to toss them?

Thx

You should have a 185r14 D load range tire. Here's a good list of some of the tires available in that size. That is a crazy good price on the Hankook ra08 by the way.

Linda S

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=62610227.135.28888&Breite=185&Quer=&Felge=14&Speed=&LoadRange=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&suchen=ViewTires&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&sort_by=preis

Age! Even when buying "new" tires, knowing the age is important. I will not use a tire over 7 years old.

post-8092-0-39054500-1434479451_thumb.jp

In the example above: DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year 07 Manufactured during 2007

left click to enlarge picture Jim SW FL

I recently went on a tire spending spree. Needed tires for the RV and my wifes CRV. I've purchased online before and never really had any issue but also like spending money locally where I can as well. With that in mind I took my printout to one of the shops that was listed by both Tirerack and Tires-easy as a installation partner. Spoke with the manager there in advance to doing anything and made this proposal to him. I can either purchase these online and have them install them or give you a shot at the whole sale by matching the price. In the end he was able to match the price and I bought local. Got the Nexen for the RV and some higher end Yokohama's for the wife. Also gave me a shot at asking if they had the valve stems. This was where things went a bit off the rails. They claimed to have them. They were wrong. Let the tire installer know they are metric and not typically standard and be prepared to order them or perhaps wait for them to.

Good luck.

Metric valve stems! I'd have never thought of that.

Thanks for the comments, esp the list.

The age thing is a critical issue to be sure. That would give me a reason to re-purpose the Marathons. I'll go check the age. No need to even look at the others. All four of the dualies, actually all 5 including the flat spare are different! PO must have been buying them used.

I love having new tires, it's the paying for them that's unpleasant.

This is from someone who had the wrong valve stems on a motorhome, they can make your life very difficult! But only when trying to air up or trying to check tires.

There is almost no chance you can by the right stems locally except at the Toyota dealer $$$$$

These are available online from different sources.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9094205026-VALVE-STEM-FOR-TIRE-Toyota-1-Ton-Truck-V6-/171788548628?hash=item27ff653a14&vxp=mtr

JDemarris found reasonably priced metric brass valve stems that can be bent to suit our purpose, but I can not find them now. That is the route I would go if I knew about them at the time. If you don't mind trying to bend a valve stem, go for em.

HTH Jim

• 4 weeks later...

You should have a 185r14 D load range tire. Here's a good list of some of the tires available in that size. That is a crazy good price on the Hankook ra08 by the way.

Linda S

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=62610227.135.28888&Breite=185&Quer=&Felge=14&Speed=&LoadRange=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&suchen=ViewTires&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&sort_by=preis

Thought I'd follow up. I bought the 185 RA08s locally for $110. per, balanced, mounted. Look good, raised the rear end an inch or so, and gotta love the 65psi. I blew a rear to steel-spiking smithereens on the way to the tire store leaving me with just 5 questionable tires on the road with no spare, so I returned home, jacked the rig, got out my scuba tank-powered air impact wrench, and removed the offender and it's ancient partner ... off to tire store ... back home got two new mounted easy peasy ... back to tire store for the other two. One thing I noticed was that none of the tires were 185s and both sides had been rubbing together. Had the guys check my air lift bags and lines. There is a leak but they couldn't find it.

Thought I had responded to this??

5 tires is OK, just stay in the left lane and drive slow : ) Not being able to dive anymore I sold my tanks and air tool adapter, I no longer have friends that have compressors and it did not make sense financially to keep tanks inspected and filled.

I trust you are not reinstalling the tires with an impact?

I had an air bag that leaked and could not find the leak after several attempts. Sitting in driveway it would rarely leak, it happened when driving mostly. I decided that it had to be when the bag was flexed or in a certain position. I opted to put new bags on, I can't see where replacing 20+ year old bags is a bad idea.

HTH Jim SW FL

The rear 3 of my 5 were NOT ok... beyond the danger and tieing up traffic, it wasn't worth it to save a little work. And yepper, I put them on with the impact and had them torqued at the tire store. This is my third MH, 2nd toy. And I'm an old fart too. I am reminded of blowing a rear tire on my Heavy Chevy one day in East Bumfork, TN. I had a spare but wasn't sure I could pick it up, let alone get the lugs off with my aging muscles and no air. So I fretted along for another 10 miles or so, and o'er yonder hill was a little old used tire store! Savvy dude had me going in 20 minutes.

These days I live on a boat and the Toy is my storage locker. It looks decent (to me), and runs well but the roof and one wall sag, ergo I am loathe to throw money at it. But tars are tars.