Making A Toyota Fuel Sender Work On A Lexus Dash. Ugh! I Need Someone Good At Electronics

mtdave2

I am putting an 1uzfe in my 92 toyota truck. I am also using the lexus dash.

My question is with the fuel sender. two different set ups and im trying to figure out if there is any way to make this work!

lexus sender is the first photo, it has 3 wires

toyota the 2nd with two wire.

• Any advice?

post-7786-0-51053300-1433214691_thumb.jp

post-7786-0-32680300-1433214697_thumb.jp

Well you don't show the full sender harness, but it looks like 3 wires on the Toy unit.

On some toys the 3rd wire goes to a low fuel light

I am putting an 1uzfe in my 92 toyota truck. I am also using the lexus dash.
My question is with the fuel sender. two different set ups and im trying to figure out if there is any way to make this work!
lexus sender is the first photo, it has 3 wires
toyota the 2nd with two wire.
  • Any advice?

3-wire versus 2-wire is not the big issue. Resistance is the problem. Standard 70s-90s Toyota fuel gauge needs 2 ohms resistance to read full, and 110 ohms resistance to read empty. A 90s Lexus needs 4.6 ohms to read full and less then 1 ohm to read empty. They do NOT match as far as I can tell. You did not say which year or model Lexus though. As far as 2-wire versus 3-wire senders as shown in your photos? The Lexus image shows three leads . . . marked Fu, Fr, and Fe. "Fr" is the one the moves with the float in the tank. If Fr gets closer to Fu when the tank is full - then they take the place of two leads on the 70s-90s Toyota sender. If Fr gets closer to Fe when full then THEY take the place of the two leads like on the Toyota sender.

well I have the sender out of the lexus, I'm hoping the bolt holes match the toyota. I did connect the wires and everything is still working. The lexus is a side mount, the toyota is a top mounted sensor, but i think with a little bending i can make it work. now i have to drop the tank, and see if it will fit. might as well change the pump i guess while im in there.

Thanks for the input, sounds like this is the best option.