Supply, Demand And Inflation

Debbit

I have a 'bad habit' of looking for small RVs. I know I'm not alone in this ?

It seems nice toy homes are still around for reasonable prices. I like mine, don't really want something different, but it is still very interesting to keep tabs on the little and old RV market. What is crazy though is what is happening to the price of VW westfalias!! I have one, and I am constantly tempted to sell it.

And it makes me wonder if toy homes are about to see a similar surge in price and desirability. I think I've seen a rise in prices already as spring approaches.

Still, no one flashes me peace signs when I'm driving down the road in my Sunrader.?

Well all my little RV's are worth more than I paid. True I have a couple that I never use and have put off fixing way too long but it's like money in the bank. Except that I'm making more money from these than I ever would in a bank account.

Linda S

You are not alone! I keep watching. I started looking for a Vixen, but shortly decided that they are all over priced restoration projects. I then decided that a Rialta would work for me. As I shopped around for a year, the prices seemed to keep rising and rising and rising. Then add hard to find or non existent parts and a $5000 transmission that is likely to fail.

So I started looking for a Toy, over priced but still within reason. Available parts and don't need a German engineer to work on them. I believe a Toy will hold its value now and when the price of fuel creeps back up will see a dramatic rise in value. I suspect your collection will do well.

I do not want to be a collector or speculator, am happy with just one, but wish I had went this route a year ago. JIm SW FL

I've never driven a water-cooled VW Westy. Air-cooled yes. Not something I'd EVER want to own Virtually NO heat or defroster for northern driving unless there is an added gasoline heater installed. That being said, I didn't think I'd ever see the day when air-cooled VW beetles from the 40s-60s are bring thousands of bucks. I junked many and still glad I did. So yeah, things are bring high prices. Not just campers. Lots of "revisionism" going on too with cars that were junk when new, and now touted as being "great."

I think one of the best small RVs ever sold in the USA in 80s were the later Winnebago Lesharos or Phasars. Too bad parts are so hard to get for them. If gas, 2.2 liter engine, front-wheel drive, lock-up auto trans with OD, etc. The quality of the RV construction by Winnebago is near the best I've ever seen. Seems the parts problem is their downfall.

If I had known about the Lesharo/Phasar V6 mod, that is what I would be working on now! Found out about it too late, plus they are pretty rare. I think if one came up for sale in the area, I might buy it.

JIm SW FL

Speaking of toys for sale, did you see this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Toyota-Tacoma-Itasca-Spirit-RV-Motorhome-by-Winnebago-only-29k-Miles-On-B-/331442878482?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d2b88f812&item=331442878482&pt=RVs_Campers

Used

1993 Toyota Tacoma Itasca Spirit RV Motorhome by Winnebago, only 29k Miles, On Board Generator AND

... Read more
Ended:
Jan 13, 2015 , 7:13PM
Price:
US $23,000.00
It is in completed listings and the numbers are in Green so appears it sold!

Speaking of toys for sale, did you see this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Toyota-Tacoma-Itasca-Spirit-RV-Motorhome-by-Winnebago-only-29k-Miles-On-B-/331442878482?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d2b88f812&item=331442878482&pt=RVs_Campers

Used

1993 Toyota Tacoma Itasca Spirit RV Motorhome by Winnebago, only 29k Miles, On Board Generator AND

... Read more
Ended:
Jan 13, 2015 , 7:13PM
Price:
US $23,000.00
It is in completed listings and the numbers are in Green so appears it sold!

Kind of suspicious to me. It's located in California but there is no record of it ever being registered in California.

Linda S

Woah!! That's impressive.
We are camping by a lake right now. Last minute decision, and we took the sunrader. I'm glad my westfalia is like having money in the bank, but the toyhome is the one we end up taking almost always. I'm very grateful we found it, at a good price. We've worked on it a lot, but it's dependable, convenient and comfortable. I probably will be selling my Westy soon, while its in its "prime".

Hard (for me) to believe, but +ve feedback received and left for it.

That's easy to do (fake it) when selling on Ebay with a non-auction item and fixed price. I know because I've done it. No way (that I know of) to ascertain if it really sold or it's all just BS. I can't say I care either. Even if one fool DID pay that much - it doesn't indicate any sort of trend in high prices.

Last year there was a 1986 Minicruiser on Ebay, parked in NY, that sold for $11,500. A few days later a 1988 Minicruiser came up for sale on Ebay also in NY. That one I went over and looked at. It was in REAL nice shape. I offered the seller $2000 for it and he did not take my offer. It later sold on Ebay for $2750 IF he ever got paid. That's another problem with Ebay. Non-paying bidders.

With the current supply and demand of small motor homes, over $20K is not unrealistic for a great condition unit.

Rialtas regularly sell in the $20K area and up to $40K. They have many issues including a $5000 transmission that is weak and unavailable ECU units. Expensive VW parts and service.

For Sprinter type units the bottom of the market seems to be high $30's and very easy to spend $50+, also very expensive replacement parts and service.

That leaves the Toyota in a sweet spot. I payed way more than I would have liked, but If I had not someone else would have! JIm SW FL

With the current supply and demand of small motor homes, over $20K is not unrealistic for a great condition unit.

Rialtas regularly sell in the $20K area and up to $40K. They have many issues including a $5000 transmission that is weak and unavailable ECU units. Expensive VW parts and service.

For Sprinter type units the bottom of the market seems to be high $30's and very easy to spend $50+, also very expensive replacement parts and service.

That leaves the Toyota in a sweet spot. I payed way more than I would have liked, but If I had not someone else would have! JIm SW FL

Not in my part of the world. The plain fact is that Rialtas share nothing with the Toyota RVs and I've never come across a Rialta for less then $6000. That is except for an early one with a blown VW diesel engine that was for sale for $4000. I've come across MANY Toyota RVs in good shape in the $2000 - $2500 range and many more that needed some work for less then $1000. I've seen several pristine 21 foot V6 90s Winnebagos I could of bought for $5000-$6000 and they don't get any nicer then the ones I looked at. I passed up a very nice looking 1986 Sunrader 21 footer last year for $2600. In retrospect, I should of bought it and tried to resell it. My point is, "supply and demand." Plenty of bargain priced Nissan and Toyota RVs if someone is patient and does not jump at the first few they see.

I think one of the best small RVs ever sold in the USA in 80s were the later Winnebago Lesharos or Phasars. Too bad parts are so hard to get for them. If gas, 2.2 liter engine, front-wheel drive, lock-up auto trans with OD, etc. The quality of the RV construction by Winnebago is near the best I've ever seen. Seems the parts problem is their downfall.

I guess you all probably know that some enterprising individuals are installing 3.8 Buick / 4t60e drive trains in these & coming up with a real nice driveable / servicable unit..........donnie

I guess you all probably know that some enterprising individuals are installing 3.8 Buick / 4t60e drive trains in these & coming up with a real nice driveable / servicable unit..........donnie

Yes, I looked at two that were converted. One with a GM 3.8 and the other with a Chrysler 3.3. The original 2.2 gas engines, or the turbo-diesels are not bad engines. Just so damn hard to find parts for and SO expensive. Not just the engine/trans. parts either. I guess that's what happens when you make a motorhome based on a French van that never got sold in the USA. There WERE a few Renault cars sold here with the same engines, but not many. That's one nice thing about a Toyota. Chassis is no different in the motorhome then when sold for other purposes in the USA. Parts are easy to get if you know how to look.

I've got a 1986 Phasar with a 2.2 gas engine and auto trans that runs perfect and has four good 14" tires on it and I'm going to cut it up and scrap it this spring. I hate to do it but . . I'm selling my place in NY on May 1st and must have all my stuff gone by then. I already stripped all the RV goodies out of it. It has some neat features. Especially the hot-water heater that used engine coolant and a heat-exchanger to make hot water so just driving kept the water hot for taking showers, or whatever. The RV conversion that Winnebago built is some of best quality worksmanship I've ever seen in an RV.

Westfalias are no speedier than toy homes, and except for the big diesels,,most RVs don't go 75+.

Debbit,

But my Westphalia really IS speedier than a Toy home. I have a 1973 Campmobile with a Toyota 2TC in it. And it runs like a scared rabbit. It is the best of both worlds.

I can boast that it is one of the first "true hybrids". Not only that, but it really does have a 'hemi' engine. And it will easily do 75mph! And go uphill without downshifting.

Love it!

...over $20K is not unrealistic...

That all depends on whose pocket you're pulling $20K out of. I doubt very much if it will be my pocket any time in the future. About all I have are pennies and lint in my pocket.

I'm no financial wizard but will comment on what I've observed during my life. People who have money, and have worked hard for that money, do not spend $20K on something that can be bought for $5K. Makes no difference if they can afford it or not. Just their "way of life" and the reason why they have money to start with. To the converse, someone who has money to burn and did NOT have to earn it - WILL spend in a haphazard way. So yeah, anything is possible. Over $20K for a motorhome that can often be bought for 1/4 the price might happen now and then but is certainly NOT a trend.

I'm no financial wizard but will comment on what I've observed during my life. People who have money, and have worked hard for that money, do not spend $20K on something that can be bought for $5K. Makes no difference if they can afford it or not. Just their "way of life" and the reason why they have money to start with. To the converse, someone who has money to burn and did NOT have to earn it - WILL spend in a haphazard way. So yeah, anything is possible. Over $20K for a motorhome that can often be bought for 1/4 the price might happen now and then but is certainly NOT a trend.

JD,

A positive for you today. The forum says I have reached my limit of positives for today although yours was the first for me.

Is it legal for me to give you positive here in this manner?

The range of condition I have seen in these RV's is huge. Some are in awesome condition some I wouldn't take along with lots of $$ :) yet they move and are being lived in

full time.

I know how much I've spent on mine, it would be nice to think I could get some of it back if I had to sell.

Debbit,

But my Westphalia really IS speedier than a Toy home. I have a 1973 Campmobile with a Toyota 2TC in it. And it runs like a scared rabbit. It is the best of both worlds.

I can boast that it is one of the first "true hybrids". Not only that, but it really does have a 'hemi' engine. And it will easily do 75mph! And go uphill without downshifting.

Love it!

That's so neat! Lots of vanagon water cooled have been transplanted with Subaru engines, and can cruise along too. I like the idea of the older camp mobile style with a different engine.

My water boxer engine is very strong, and my van will go faster, but aerodynamically it just dosent feel that smart. The busses are a bit less boxy.

On another topic, there is a nice winnabego lasharo for sale in my town for $4100. It has had some bodywork done, very nicely, but the shop is selling it for the owner because the insurance didn't cover it, and owner can't afford it.

On the subject of perceived "supply and demand" along with what might look like new price-trends. Not Toyotas but certainly similar in size, age, and values. I don't think the one with the $95,000 price tag is something that I'd call a "trend."

post-6578-0-84149000-1425414057_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-19096700-1425414059_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-28371200-1425414060_thumb.jp