Transmission Longevity! Model Of Transmission And Many Miles Does It Last Between Rebuild.

Have 1985 A43D 3speed with overdrive with 67,000 miles. No Reverse has anyone else had problems with this transmission.

Tends to be one heck of a good trans. My 2001 Chevy Tracker has a version of it with 268,000 miles and never been touched. Newer A43D type trans though with electric controls and upgrades.

Your A43D uses the same clutches and brakes as do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. So if the other gears work OK, I assume you've got a stuck shift-valve or a linkage problem. Just a guess.

Reverse in your trans uses three items - Direct Clutch, Rear Clutch, and Brake #3.

1st gear also uses Brake #3.

2nd and 3rd gears uses the same Rear Clutch

1st and 2nd gears use the same Direct Clutch.

Reverse clutch pack direct clutch pack and over run clutch. The reverse clutch has two pistons the inner piston is only applied in reverse no other gear two forward gears 3rd and O/D require the outer piston also but not the inner so yes it can have a bad lip seal or bad clutch pack. They are tough transmission but they don't last forever take it to a reliable independent transmission shop and let them try it.

I got a chance to observe the temp differences this summer after putting in a trans temp gauge. 190 F in normal 3rd gear running @ 55-60 MPH. This in summer weather around 80 degrees F. Anytime I put it in 4th OD the temp ran up to 200 F and stayed there - even on a flat road. When climbing any substantial hills in 2nd gear - ran temps up to 230 F. Once on a flat it would cool right back down.

My trans supposedly has 120,000 original miles and has never been apart - as reported by the original owner. I have no way to verify that. He had told me the same thing about the engine but I now know that is not true. Or at least it seems. Had the head off and found a piston marked #3 stuck in #4 hole. Seems that's not something that would of been done at the Toyota engine factory unless someone was having a bad day.

Have you completely lost reverse? or just at idle? Will accelerating the engine get you any movement? Did this happen suddenly or could you feel a problem developing? ANY problems with ANY other gears i.e. late shifts, sluggish shifts, are you missing any gears?

Can you feel all 4 gears under fairly hard acceleration? ..Donnie