Hello All,

Forgive me if I didn't search deep enough into the forums to undercover an existing thread on this (link please). But I've been looking at some late 80s Sunraders and being able to go off-road is a must.

My first thought is to drop the Sunrader on the drive train of a 4Runner (axles, tranny, transfer case) provision drive shafts etc...

What I am not considering with this in mind?

Are their any other thoughts on accomplishing this?

Also, I'm guessing I would need about $12k for the donar and labor. I am pretty handy, but I'd elect to leave all of actual work to a true professional.

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance. This could be a very real project in the near future.

Not sure finding a suitable rear-axle is "easy" if you want the front wheels to match the back. Only good option with a 4-runner that I know of is to convert the rear semi-floater to a full-floater with a very expensive kit.

Front wheels would never match the back. Hub adapters for the front screw onto 14 inch 5 lug hubs. 4x4 will have 6x6 1/2 inch lug pattern and 15 inch wheels. For this conversion all wheels would have to be custom made at a little over 200 each. The 12,000 dollar estimate wouldn't even come close if you did all the work yourself.

Linda S

It seems like you are trying to latch onto my idea and invalidate it.

What I'm looking for is constructive advise around an idea.

Help me build by adding thoughts and not cut me down with negative energy.

Linda, you're a moderator & though leader on here, I'd expect more.

Edited by J. Broussard

I'm trying to give you a better idea of what's needed and the cost. A 4runner would require a frame off build and frame extensions. A T100 or if you want newer, a Tundra might be better options for a Sunrader coach. Of course you could also try to find a Sunrader 4x4 that already has the axle upgrade. There are a few of them out there. Spend some more time researching and maybe you will come up with a plan that doesn't get negative responses. There was an extremely upgrade Sunrader on this site a while ago that the owner paid for all the work. It cost him way over 50 grand. I also have a friend with a 4x4 Sunrader with upgraded everything and a turbo charged 4.3 GM motor. He has done 90% of the work himself and he's spent way over 50 grand too.

Linda S

It seems pretty reasonable to me that you could do it for $12 grand. You might be better off just converting a shorty 2WD Sunrader to 4WD by adding a front axle and 4WD tranny. My factory 4WD Sunrader has the same wheel base as the longbed and the extra-cabs of the same year, 1985. I think a 4Runner has a shorter wheelbase so it wouldn't work.

It seems like you are trying to latch onto my idea and invalidate it.

What I'm looking for is constructive advise around an idea.

I don't see where anyone is trying to "invalidate" anything. You stated that the rear-end issue is "easy." Some here don't agree and have replied with known facts. That is nowhere near the same as "invalidation."

Rear axle weight bearing capacity (not pulling capacity) is a major issue on Toyota mini-trucks with RV bodies added that can weigh 5000 plus pounds. A full-floating rear was supplied by Toyota to address the problem and that axle is designed to handle approx. 6000 lbs. That's about twice what the semi-floating rear in a 4WD is designed to bear. You did not mention what your "easy" fix is. I've seen people narrow Dana 60s or Dana 70s and add them in. That works fine. Just costs money and results in a mis-match between the front and rear wheels. One fix that I'm aware of with a Toyota RV with 4WD is to add a full-float kit to the back axle. It's an "add-on" kit and does not require removing the rear axle. When done the wheel bolt patterns stay the same but weight bearing capacity is increased. The chance of a broken rear axle and losing a wheel is eliminated. Kit costs $700 and up. Front Range is one but there are others.

post-6578-0-17255300-1413896652_thumb.jp

Yeah don't let us discourage you...if you stick around, you'll see a lot of "tough love" :). People come on here with some crazy ideas. Ideas we've all had until we realized the reality of the situation. So when a new person comes to the forum with really big ideas, you'll see some serious "reality checks" coming from experienced members.

There are people who then get scared away from their idea, and obviously that was a good thing. Then there are those who do have the skills and ability to make their idea and reality. They don't get scared off, and they proceed with their plans.

Once people here know that you have the skills, they'll give any help they can.

But first they're going to completely honest and blunt about the difficulty of the job. We never know which kind you are until you let us know...

• 2 weeks later...

I heard of someone adding a Tundra rear axle on their Sunrader. I will tell you my stock 4x4 Sunrader is not an ideal 4x4 vehicle. Yes its great for what I call intermediate 4x4ing - such as impassable logging roads where 2wd vehicles cant go, or great for mountain passes in the winter and forest service roads for winter backcountry ski access. On rough 4x4 trials I have to drive very slow, much slower than my 4runner and jeep friends - they make me drive in the back of the convoy. Its height and length 18' makes it a little top heavy, and it tends to twist/sway more, but in low range I have crawled up some pretty steep slopes. It really excels on remote forestry roads with steep grades. Camping on a mtn peak is awesome.

If I was you I'd buy an older Tacoma v6 4x4 and drop a chinook camper shell on it. I have a 94 Tacoma v6 4x4 that gets 29 mpg (in 2wd on the freeway) and I'm searching for a cheap nice Chinook shell to drop on it. That would be a great 4x4 camper machine indeed. Save you 7-8 grand too. But you need to do whats best for you.

I heard of someone adding a Tundra rear axle on their Sunrader.

What is the purpose or alleged gain with using a Tundra rear axle? It has the same weight bearing capacity, axle diameters, and ball bearings as the smaller Tacomas. Not any big gain over what a pre-86 Sunrader had originally and much less axle then a Sunrader with a FF rear. Tundra ball bearings in the rear are 1.57" X 3.5" X 1.1". Stock semi-floater in a 1986 pickup uses ball bearings 1.57" X 3.5" X .9". Tundra bearings are just a hair wider and axle diameters are the same in either. Compare to a Ford full-size 1/2 ton pickup with a rear axle rated for a max of 3300 lbs. (like a Toyota mini-truck SF rear). Ford uses bearings 1.53" X 3.14" X 1.47".