90 Dolphin - A/c Option And Front Vent Question

shibs

I went to check on my dolphin and take more photos of the water damage.

The previous owner installed a duo therm a/c on it.

what was there from factory? a fantastic fan with a rain cover?

Also, I figured out that if I keep the front vent open it will help dry the camper so I want to put a rain cover on the front vent. What vent should I get? and any tips on installation?

post-4191-0-01556100-1411052640_thumb.jp

Well for starters it's a Winnebago, not a Dolphin. It came with a 7100BTU Ac unit that was made by Coleman. At sometime it was replaced. Just opening a roof vent is not really going to dry it out if it's really wet inside. Does your furnace work? Leaving it on for a couple of days might get things going better.

If the roof has sustained damage from getting wet I wouldn't really want to get up there yet to install a vent cover. A side window cracked will let out the same moisture. But this is what you need. They come with instructions and installation is very simple

http://www.walmart.com/ip/7964403?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010250781&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839972632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78653780552&veh=sem

Linda S

Be advised that a vent cover will greatly reduce the amount of airflow through the vent. I installed one on the vent over my bathroom, because it is useful to be able to leave the vent open all the time for odor control in that tiny space. But I wouldn't use one on any of my other vents because the reduction in air flow would eliminate the kind of breeze I can get through these for cooling purposes.

Linda, I can't leave anything open it rains a lot here and I have no power source at the storage place and I have no way to test the furnace. The Winnie (duh, all this time I have been calling it a dolphin) is parked 30 mins drive away.

I hear you, I weight a chunky 235 lbs and I am scared of heights, maybe I can find a trained monkey....

I see installation of the cover is a breeze :-)

Now to figure out how I am going to get up there without killing or maiming myself...

Got any skinny teenagers you could pay to get up there. At least take a piece of plywood to distribute your weight better. and crawl around no standing. Also if that vent leaks at all another winter is just going to make the damage worse. Funny a cover doesn't stop it from leaking around the edge

Linda S

Best option is pay the money and find covered storage for the winter

Corbin,

I hear you on the dehumidifiers, I shot benchrest and run a few of dehumidifiers for my reloading stuff.

The storage place does not have access to power but I can take my generator and run it if needed.

I aired up the tires using my generator and pancake compressor.

I just wanted to let the camper air itself during spring/summer/fall and close it for winter. I need to work on the source of the leaks...

yeap, going to use a ladder but it does bother me to be on it sometimes.

Linda,

I wanted to clarify that my roof vents is not leaking, I am not sure where the leak is, I took off the wet stuff off the front and front wall.

The lights or the windows are leaking.

Anyway, I wanted to leave the vent open allow air to pass through the camper. This time of the year we get few wet days followed by dry high pressure system that will dry the lights out of the camper.

With a roof vent cover I can leave the vent wide open. I might allow crack open the front pass side window a hair.

Does your RV have an aluminum frame? I was told that many Winnebagos do. My Escaper does and it is a relief knowing that the frame will not rot of it in case of a leak.

Have you thought of a solar powered fan? I have seen some that go in the window of the vehicle and you just let them run when the sun is shining. It may help you get the RV dried out. I did a Google search and they are available for under $10. For that price, I would get 2 and stick them in the same window while leaving the window of the other door cracked open.

http://www.amazon.com/Autocool-Solar-Power-Car-Fan/dp/B005NKO3D2