Harbor Freights New Honda Eu2000I Clone On A Rooftop Ac

Well, I took the plunge and bought a Harbor Freight honda inverter (2500 watts) knock off this summer and put it to the test with a supco capacitor.

Here is the result:

After breaking in the unit I must say for $499 I am impressed. Its quiet runs well, starts first pull and was easy to use.

It did run my rooftop unit while driving also. This was not always easy and I bet I put the thing through some harsh starting loads a few times. First thing I did was test the unit as is against my 13500 BTU coleman Mach. nope no worky would go into protected mode.

Determined to test the rumored Supco starting piggy back capacitor i added a supco and tested the unit. nope.

Next I tried the trick of starting the fan, letting it run for a bit on fan mode then engaging the AC. Boom it worked.

The real test was in the 90 degree heat of the cooler than average August of kitty hawk NC. I found i had to play with the thing a bit and learned that if i tried it like 20 times on off on off on off it would catch and fire up. once the thing would start i would crank the AC full cold blast and make like a baby and head out. The unit would last 5 hours per tank; not much but about the average time a tank of gas would take to expire in driving the camper.

Also some additional info: The main problem with the inverter from HF is its inability to disable economy mode; that its it always has the eco throttle turned on. I ran into my cousin who had just bought a EU2000i and it would start the AC every time but ONLY in disabled eco mode (full throttle). This made made me think to raise the idle speed of the HF unit which in turn helped it start easier but not as reliably as the honda EU2000i. I will note also that the EU2000i would never start the AC in eco mode nor would it continue to run the AC when taken off Eco mode and it was running FULL throttle where as the HF once it got off the ground easily ran the load and I believe had extra capacity to give additional service if needed.

My family successfully used this setup to run the AC throughout all our major summer RV trip and it also allowed us to shop the shops at the beaches while keep the dogs cool. We even stayed at cedar point and got an extra day in thier camper parking lot while the HF ran the AC for our pooches. It never skipped a beat once it was running.

I give it a B+ but it could be an A because I believe the capacitor I installed was incorrect. I accidentally bought the 240 V supco and literally cut its electronics off the cap and connected it to the tiny booster cap solenoid that i replaced with it effectively making my own booster cap. I am tempted to buy another and add it into the circuit. Ok fellers let the electrical arguments and fighting commence ,

-Totem out

uhh... the starting capicitor goes in your AC rooftop unit....Sorry I just assumed everyone would know the supco stories in here... you would never put one in a generator. The capacitor shocks the compressor into starting without needing as much juice from the generator.

And again as mentioned; the Honda will start the AC unit more easily but its redlining at the top of it's capability. The HF generator is 2500 watts instead of 2000. Also, the generator as mentioned started first time first pull. I get the impression you didn't read that the goal was to start rooftop AC unit...all of the trouble we have as RV owners in this type of situation is getting a generator powerful enough to start and run the AC but be lightweight and easy on the ears. And yes the HF is both,. An AC unit is an "air conditioner". These are the things on your roof that cool your RV.

sorry for that I just assumed you knew what an AC was because I mentioned that I was trying to start a coleman Mach, which is a rooftop air conditioner.

Adding a starting capacitor has nothing to do with a generator. Nothing, and its not what my thread is about. Please dont hijack the thread. :)\

The starting capacitor is used for starting air conditioners. A generator is a gas powered motor that is pull started in this context; as HF only has one inverter generator for sale. I must call you out by the way on being a difficult person. Are you are moderator here? if not then please leave the policing of the forum to them, like linda for example. I speak for many in here, we tire of your constant nitpicking about forum.

This generator was also posted on the toyota-campers group. Looks like a nice reasonably priced unit but not carb compliant for California. We get stuck only being able to buy the pricier models. I didn't realize this at first but was informed when I went to HF to look at one.

Linda S

after reviewing the 2 different gensets they don't even seem to be the same capacity.

HFT-2500 Peak/2200 Running Watts, 4.7 HP (125cc) Portable Inverter Generator EPA III

Costco - Single unit provides 1600 sustained watts and 2000 surge watts

I read the review of costco's and at least 3 people (aside from Denver) complained :" just purchased this inverter and agree with the other review that says it does not meet the capacity rating of 2000 watts (16.6 amps) peak and 1600 watts (13.3 amps) running."

It helps to read completely and with comprehension if you're a nitpicker. :)

It also helps not to be defamatory and claim someone deleted a comment about pull starting something 20 times; I NEVER typed nor deleted that in fact my exact quote is that i "tried it 20 times"... and its still there; the "it" is the AC switch on the Coleman mach panel. Moderators have access to what was posted and edited. Really Karin, you need to lay off. you are scaring off people from enjoying the forum with your tactical snark.

@ Linda, yes the unit I am reviewing is the non Cali carb compliant unit. It starts like a dream, its very quiet though modestly louder than the Honda EU2000i but then again its got more punch.

Also some additional Detail:

My Coleman Mach was purchased new (in) and is a 2010 model year roof 13500 AC unit in case anyone wondered. It runs great and cools the toy home instantly turning it into a meat locker, its overkill i think but i love it. Also, the HF inverter generator is the absolute cheapest brand new 2500 watt inverter generator on the market as far as I am aware at $499.00. Mine has had 3 oil changes and run 25 tanks of gas so far it runs perfectly.