Needed: A 10 5/8" Long Deep-Cycle Group-24 Battery...

BillF

A decade ago (?) I replaced my coach battery in my 91 Odyssey with AutoZone's DuraLast 24MS-DL. I added a solar panel somewhere around the same time, and never thought about the battery again.

The last time I dry-camped - a year ago - I experienced a 1 or 2-minute power outage each time the water-pump was powering the shower while a light or two was on. I forgot about it until this week.

That's because I'm headed off for that same 6-day desert camping trip in a few weeks. I've assumed that it's probably an old battery issue, and that I may as well replace the coach battery. I contacted AutoZone, and learned that the 24MS-DL is no longer made, but they sell something called the 24MS-DL, which is a bit longer.

Then I started reading-up on batteries, and learning that a duel-purpose battery is silly, and a battery that brags about its cranking amps is silly, and that a 27 is better than a 24, etc etc. Now all this is irrelevant. That's because, an hour ago I removed the battery from the exterior-hatched compartment, and measured the chamber. It's 7 1/4' wide, 10 3/4" high, and 10 5/8" deep.

Houston, We've got a problem! The new DuraLast is 11" long, and a quick google shows that the Walmart EverStart is also 11" long. They will not fit!

Anyone have any ideas for an appropriate deep-cycle battery that will fit in a battery compartment that's only 10 5/8" deep?

Thanks!

Bill in SF

See : http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bci-battery-group-sizes.html ,

and http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm?TID=9 ,

web search for more if needed.

I measured the deep ones at the Costco on 10 St downtown but seem to have misplaced that paper. The prices seem good to me. I think I can fit a group 29 in mine, but they don't label 'em like that. I found one bigger than the #27 that I think will fit my Dolphin.

john

Never mind how big the old battery is. Check and see how much room there is in the box.

BTW Interstate makes a 10" long AGM group 24 battery

Interstate doesn't make ANY batteries. They just resell batteries made by Johnson Controls - just as Walmart does.

Batteries to fit the space posted would be BCI group 2, 28, or 24. Group # 24 comes in the most varieties and if you want the best battery for price, longevity, and weight versus reserve power - go by weight with an FLA battery (conventional flooded lead-acid)..

Here are some choices from Deka who makes around 1/3 of all batteries in the USA - along with Exide and Johnson Controls. I like Deka because they make batteries for NAPA so they are easy to get with no shipping charges.

Cranking versions are 24M4 (32 lbs.), 24M7 (45 lbs.)

Dual purpose is DP24. Weighs 42 lbs. Can supply 23 amps @ 12 volts steady for 140 minutes. 10 3/4 X 6 3/4 X 9 3/8" high.

Dedicated deep-cycle is DC24. Weighs 45 lbs. Can supply 23 amps @ 12 volts steady for 150 minutes. 10 3/4 X 6 3/4 X 9 3/8" high

Gel-cel is 8G24M. Weighs 52 lbs. Can supply 23 amps @ 12 volts steady for 140 minutes. 10 3/4 X 6 3/4 X 9 3/8" high.

AGM is 8A24M. Weighs 53 lbs. Can supply 23 amps @ 12 volts steady for 140 minutes. 10 3/4 X 6 3/4 X 9 3/8" high.

Wow - what a wealth of information. But a half-hour ago, on the way to work, I dropped off the old battery at AutoZone, for the free testing available. It took them a minute to tell me that the battery was shot. Very interesting that the solar kept it working anyway. Even more interesting: the 11" battery that AutoZone sells for $90 is not 11" - it's the exact same size as my dead battery, which came out of a compartment that's only 10 5/8" deep.

So I bought it; getting an important to-do off of my list.

I may still go over jdemaris' list above, since that's great info. Or I'll shift to the other to-do's for my RV - that's sat for a year.

Thanks, Forum members!

Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Autozone, Interstate, Walmart, Sears Diehard, Kirkland, Optima, etc. Also many OEM batteries labeled Honda, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Subaru, etc.

I think some of the rebranders change some of the specs slightly so if you compare with other brands - they seem slightly different. I spoke to someone at the Johnson Controls tech-department and he told me how different resellers change the CCA, AH, and RC numbers.

Maybe a tape measure when you go shopping for a battery. My guess is that it will fit in a 11" space not necessarily the exact size of the battery.

Yep - that "11-inch long" battery fit nicely into my slot that's only 10 5/8" deep. All's well that ends well...

(Anyone else going to Burning Man?)

;-)

• 1 month later...

A decade ago (?) I replaced my coach battery in my 91 Odyssey with AutoZone's DuraLast 24MS-DL. I added solar kits somewhere around the same time, and never thought about the battery again.

The last time I dry-camped - a year ago - I experienced a 1 or 2-minute power outage each time the water-pump was powering the shower while a light or two was on. I forgot about it until this week.

That's because I'm headed off for that same 6-day desert camping trip in a few weeks. I've assumed that it's probably an old battery issue, and that I may as well replace the coach battery. I contacted AutoZone, and learned that the 24MS-DL is no longer made, but they sell something called the 24MS-DL, which is a bit longer.

Then I started reading-up on batteries, and learning that a duel-purpose battery is silly, and a battery that brags about its cranking amps is silly, and that a 27 is better than a 24, etc etc. Now all this is irrelevant. That's because, an hour ago I removed the battery from the exterior-hatched compartment, and measured the chamber. It's 7 1/4' wide, 10 3/4" high, and 10 5/8" deep.

Houston, We've got a problem! The new DuraLast is 11" long, and a quick google shows that the Walmart EverStart is also 11" long. They will not fit!

Anyone have any ideas for an appropriate deep-cycle battery that will fit in a battery compartment that's only 10 5/8" deep?

Thanks!

Bill in SF

I still believe your system has worked very well. I have faced lots of problems with solar power and now I have stopped using it..

Edited by BobYamad

We had installed two HEAVY DUTY 6 volt batteries in a box under the dinette seat, vented to the outside of our Warrior. The old compartment is now being used to store leveling blocks.
Also, all inside lights are now LED.