Well I took my third trip in the Spirit and experienced my first shredded tire. I was wondering how I would handle this since Winnebago in their wisdom didn't make any provision for a spare. I took off the blown dual and aired up the other one to it's 65psi max and drove real easy. Of course I was 40 miles from the nearest town and of course it was Sunday so there were no tire stores open. I made it the 200 miles home at 50 mph. Do other people add a spare somehow? The tires were nearly new but the DOT code says they were made in 2003 so I guess tires really do go bad from age. A quick look on line showed few choices in tires that size. Mostly Chinese companies I've never heard of. I see some no name tires for around $50 but can those be trusted? I can't afford a flat with no spare. I see Yokohama at Tire Rack for $100 which is a name I've at least heard of. I see the sticker on the door says 6 ply tires but I wouldn't go less than 8( load range D) I read the other recent tire thread but it was mostly about beer which was entertaining but not that helpful.

The Hankook RA08 and the Nexen SV820 are both tires from Korea and seem to be very popular. They can both be ordered at Walmart and you pick them up at the store within a week. Sometimes they are in stock. Some Walmarts will mount tires on a motorhome and some won't. You have to call around and find one that will. If you buy tires from Walmart their installation is pretty cheap. Like 12 bucks a tire

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Radial-RA08-Tire-185R14-8/17792669

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-SV820-185R14-8-100P-BW/33860070

Linda S

Thanks Linda, I see the Hankook has a higher speed rating so maybe a better tire? I'm wondering if I want to keep my best old tire for a spare if I can even get another wheel. They're getting pretty old. And where would I put it?

Thanks Linda, I see the Hankook has a higher speed rating so maybe a better tire? I'm wondering if I want to keep my best old tire for a spare if I can even get another wheel. They're getting pretty old. And where would I put it?

My spare is mounted underneath. I don't know if Winnebago took up that area with something else but you could check. I know others here have made a tire hanger for that space but you could probably get one at a junk yard.

Linda S

In a lot of Winnies you had to make choices. Like spare or microwave or generator. This was due to the weight.

So I don't think Winnebago put something under there.

Quite an impressive project Derek. Must have been pretty exciting when the body ignited right next to the gas filler! That was the spare tire solution I was thinking about since I've owned older Toyota p-ups with that. Dont really want to reroute the exhaust and propane though. Do you worry about exceeding GVW? I have a very low payload limit.

Not my project.

You might be in luck with your Winnebago. They might have built yours with nothing needing rerouting. Spares were 'standard' but had to be deleted if you ordered the generator/A/C/microwave package. The only way to know for sure is to slide underneath and take a look.

The tires were nearly new but the DOT code says they were made in 2003 so I guess tires really do go bad from age. A quick look on line showed few choices in tires that size. Mostly Chinese companies I've never heard of.

There are several tire brands made in China that have excellent reputations and are well known in Europe and Asia. Federal is one and I see many US dealers selling them. I've got Federals on my 88 Minicrusier. Many big name brands make tires in China including Goodyear, Yokohama, Michelin, etc.

Tire failure due to age is something near impossible to predict. I've had tires that were over 25 years old and fine. I've seen many newer tires show rot cracks after they were only 5 years old. The great super-regulated state of NY wants to make driving on tires over 10 years old illegal. My 1983 plow truck has tires I bought used in 1990 and they are still fine. No full date codes on them so who knows?

My 91 WInnie Warrior already had a chain winch just forward of the gray water tank. I bought a spare rim/tire from a local Uhaul contractor and cranked it up using the Toyota jack tools in the camper. I've needed the spare three times so far due to tires starting to shred, never losing air, just rubber.

I guess I'll have to look at one with a spare underneath. It seems like my propane line runs right across where a spare could go. Did U haul use this chassis for moving trucks?

I guess I'll have to look at one with a spare underneath. It seems like my propane line runs right across where a spare could go. Did U haul use this chassis for moving trucks?

Uhaul and others Here's a non-Uhaul dually box-truck I stripped for parts. 1988 with a 22RE engine.

post-6578-0-41949200-1406683695_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-07493400-1406683700_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-40193000-1406683706_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35201300-1406683726_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-02989400-1406683731_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-13884500-1406683735_thumb.jp

I've been looking at this picture and it sure looks like the exhaust passes awfully close to the spare. It must be an illusion, because it sure would be a shame to have the tire melted when needed!

My Minicruiser had that problem with the waster-water tank. Exhaust was 1" from it and melted a huge hole in it before I got it. I had to reroute the exhaust. Then had to patch a hole in the ABS tank that was 4" wide. Good thing ABS is so easy to repair (with more ABS).

I pulled down the original spare on a Sunrader from a guy who was near me and called for help. Late at night, no place open. We put that spare on his rig so he could get to my house to park. Tire not melted. He ended up driving all the way to LA before he bought new tires. 350 miles on that 30 year old spare.

Linda S

He should have perhaps made a detour via Vegas. :)

Yes if his luck held he could have bought a full set of tires in LA instead of the one here and there as he traveled across the country. I had a lot of phone calls.

Linda S

I had the exhaust burn the spare in my Apollo motor home. You hate to see that on a new $150 tire. That picture sure looks like it's too close.

Yes, Uhaul used these chassis for their smallest moving trucks. Some have even converted the moving box into a camper.