Ladder And Railing Removal

Like all Toyota motorhomes, my Sunrader has a ladder up the back and a short rail around the top edge in the back. Some of the ladder bracket screws are loose as well as the rivets on the rail. I'm considering removing both of these items. Before I do, I'm wondering if these items have a use.

Well I use my ladder a lot. Replacing vents and washing the roof. The plumbing vents and crank open vents don't really last that long. At home you can just use a household ladder but I have had a plumbing vent cap knocked off on the road and it poured that night. Rain coming down on my face. If I didn't have that ladder on the back I wouldn't have been able to get on the roof and cover the leak. If mine ever gets loose I'm going to fix it.

Linda S

I think some other members on here carry a small telescopic ladder for such events.

I think some other members on here carry a small telescopic ladder for such events.

No room for such extras in an 18ft Sunrader. Only place to put one in mine would be bungeed to my ladder. LOL .Telescopic ladder when your alone and on uneven ground could be a major disaster. My ladder in the back also holds my chairs for camping.

Linda S

Like all Toyota motorhomes, my Sunrader has a ladder up the back and a short rail around the top edge in the back. Some of the ladder bracket screws are loose as well as the rivets on the rail. I'm considering removing both of these items. Before I do, I'm wondering if these items have a use.

I use my ladder a lot. We have a high CB antenna and a ham radio antenna that I climb the roof to remove when we park inside a barn. I also go up there to clean the solar panels once in awhile. I guess it's up to you if you have a use for it. Not so easy without it if away from home and you want to get up there. Mine was loose at every mount. Even wore some holes in the back on my Minicruiser (with aluminum skin). If you want to save your ladder and want it to be strong - you might consider drilling all the way into the inside and installing with long stainless steel screws and locknuts. I did mine with #10 machine screws. Locknuts are needed because when you cannot tighten the nuts very much against a somewhat soft wall. On mine - I also added a diamond-plate sheet of aluminum to protect the back where the ladder had been wearing through. I also put a bottom support at the bottom of the ladder.

post-6578-0-57975300-1406463629_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-57026100-1406463638_thumb.jp

After reading all of your comments, and I do appreciate the input, I'm going to remove this stuff. For me, they are useless decorations. If I need to do repairs or maintenance, I'll use an 8' step ladder. Much nicer to work from and I can move it around. I will do these things using the ladder at home. I don't watch TV and I'm not even Amish. It does seem that the ladder is a good place to strap on folding chairs.

And concerning the plumbing vent, it should be secured at the bottom end and then sealed where it penetrates the roof. The vent cap is another of those useless decorations,.....unless you don't want to seal around the vent pipe.

Steve

. The vent cap is another of those useless decorations,.....unless you don't want to seal around the vent pipe.

Steve

Useless? It might keep a few chipmunks and mice out. Also keeps the rain from filling up your waste tank.

You might be right on the mice but I would not sweat the rain. We get 50" a year and if the camper was out all year, that would ad up to .4 gallon a year.

They do make caps that just slide into the pipe. No base needed

http://www.rvplus.com/camco-plumbing-vent-cap-only-pw-40034.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rv_shopzilla

Linda S

You might be right on the mice but I would not sweat the rain. We get 50" a year and if the camper was out all year, that would ad up to .4 gallon a year.

To be technical - you can set it up so there are no outside vents at all if that's what you want. Vents have two primary reasons and one does not have to apply to an RV. Reason #1 is so water can flow down a pipe and not be stopped by a partial vacuum in the pipe above. You can install a "dry vent" at every drain a foot or so above each drain and have none going through the roof. Reason # 2 is for odor. In a house - biological activity is desired and stinks. In an RV - usually biological activity is NOT wanted and often stopped with RV "anti-odor" chemicals.

Plenty of households and RVs have them. So local codes in some states don't allow them in new household plumbing, and some do. In RVs - it's all your choice.

post-6578-0-16573000-1406634041_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-13702400-1406634042_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I removed my ladder and useless roofrack, filled in and painted over holes. I have a telescoping ladder and find it VERY stable leaned against side of RV! You put it where you want to check out and do not have to walk on roof like you would with the rear ladder. And I find the inclined tele ladder easier to climb than straight-up attached ladders.