Need advice. Am in Nova Scotia with a blown dually and the replacement spare has less tread than my palm. No new tires can be found and no luck so far on used ones. I hate to head for St. John's NB and/or Bangor with no spare and a real crumby tire on the dually.

I have been looking for 185 r 14 class D. Would anything else work? Am hoping if I get to Bangor or Portland Maine I can get a full set someplace. (a St Johns shop quoted me $165 +/+/+ and TWO weeks to get them.

What seemed to be a great adventure is turning to moosh.

MikeMc

Thanks for the good advice s folks. Right after I sent my message I ran into a guy who knows a guy..... Called him and yes, he had two used tires. Off I went and sadly both tires were 185 ? r 14 and only good for 45Psi.

Figuring I could at least use it as a spare to get off the road I had him mount it on the blown tire rim. He says while I have no tread on the one tire on dually it does have a good layer of rubber left and if I don't push it......I might be able to get to a bigger city and maybe find new/used.

I plan to conservatively drive to St Johns NB tomorrow and shop for used rubber at the few cities on way. Linda, once I have some confidence I might make Bangor I will order the tires from Walmart.

Too late for a MH dinner tonight but I will raise a wee glass of the Water of Life in honor of all the good help found on this site.
MikeMc

I know several tires dealers in Québec and Ontario sell the 8-ply rated LT195/75-14D tires for Toyota dualliles and VW camper vans. 65 PSI and 1710 lbs. rating (lower for duals).

Pretty much the same thing as the 185R-14C D tires sold in the USA. Why not just buy them??

post-6578-0-99649800-1405990822_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-54064800-1405990824_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-76254600-1405990825_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-31839500-1405990827_thumb.jp

They reformulate the beers. A Molson tastes different in the US (not unlike a US beer). A Bud up here tastes different (not unlike a Canadian beer).

He's in Canada now. He had time to try some before he leaves

Linda S

San Miguel painted label vs San Miguel paper label. Different beer totally

Try Halifax Tire Company, 434-476-2157

Looks like they carry Nexen SV820 (185/R14C - Load Range D (8 ply)

Good find. I sent him a PM with this information so he will see it sooner. Hope he gets it before he starts out

Linda S

Am checking all this out as I gingerly head west. Can I use 195 R14 class C or D with my 185 R 14"s?

Can I mix them on the duals?

Is the width difference a deal killer?

This would give me more options to find a set of tires I can replace some or preferably all of the tires on my rig. As Linda said, I am heading from Maine to WA/AZ on this trip.

Derek, being from the land of micro-brews I sip a heavier and more tasty beer -----what's a Molson?...a Bud? .......Just kidding, gallows humor as I start off with my gimpy tire.

MikeMc

Yeah, but the beer's better in Quebec. :)

I'll second that! I lived on Labatts Blue back in the early 70s. That's when I did all my girl chasing and beer drinking in Sherbrooke, Québec. I know at that time that other Canadian beers - like Molson were completely different when shipped to the US. Much better at the Canadian bars. Heck, even wood-stove SS pipe is different when the Canucks ship it across the border.

On the subject of Maine . . why the heck does it take 6 days to get a tire? I bought tires in an area of the Michigan UP just as remote as any area in Maine and got my 185R-14 C D tires overnight. Federal seems to be the popular brand there. Every dealer I called was selling that brand in that size. I got them and so far, they're fine.

Am checking all this out as I gingerly head west. Can I use 195 R14 class C or D with my 185 R 14"s?

Can I mix them on the duals?

Is the width difference a deal killer?

Tires are near the same size. LT195/75-14 is 25.5" diameter and the 185R-14 is 25.6" diameter. So there's a 1/10th difference in diameter and that means a 1/20 th difference in ride-height. The LT195s are 3/10ths of an inch wider at the sidewalls and that also is fine on your dually.

As uncivilized as we are down here we do have Canadian beer available. He also has a long way to transport this rig.

Linda S

We in the US only get beer with Canadian labels. We do not get beer brewed the same. They (Canadian breweries) make special mixes for the US.

They reformulate the beers. A Molson tastes different in the US (not unlike a US beer). A Bud up here tastes different (not unlike a Canadian beer).

I don't read much fiction. But - one of my favorite series of books is Alex McKnight. Private detective in Paradise, Michigan UP who spends half his time shooting people in Canada. That with his Chippewa Indian sidekick. They are constantly talking about how Canadian beer shipped to the US is awful. Yeah, I know fiction. But I've compared many times and it is 100% true. Bad in the US and even worse in Ohio.

Derek - if you are a native-lifer Canuck - you may not of ever noticed this. But - Canadian girls are also quite different from versions in the US. At least the Québécois females were in the 70s. Very "proper" as compared to their US female counterparts.

I am about to buy seven185R14C 102/100Q 8P TL SL-12 SAILUN's. They are new supposedly 8 ply, 66 psi, 1700 load rating.

If these are not right somebody holler please.
Thanks
MikeMc

Ps Linda, this is from Tire Shack in Moncton. Did not have Vexon sp? but had 8 SAILUN's and four Goodrides.

Thanks again all.

MMc

Those sound right.

When you get around to looking at the tires, you'll see that they're marked 65psi (maximum) and 1874lb (or 1875lb) for single applications (i.e. your front wheels) and 1700lb (or 1710lb) for dual applications (i.e. your rear wheels). These are standard numbers you'll find on ALL Load Range 'D' (8 Ply) tires in the 185R14 size.

You do NOT have to inflate them to 65psi. Many inflate to the 50 - 60 psi range with a bit more in the back than the front.

AAaaahhhhhh, huge sigh of relief. Whoopee for the Tire Shack in Moncton NB. They had all seven in stock. Yes, seven. I don't want to go thru this mish-moosh for many more years.

I feel so good now I will agree the Beach Boys missed a good bet when they forgot to sing about the Canadian girls, Canadian beer is the best and I think I have read everything Alex Mc Knight has written. I will even quit telling everybody about stomping the Octonogon area for grouse in the UP last fall and getting skunked after driving up from AZ.....and the sandwich I ate at Henry's was not up to their usual standards.

Thanks again for the helping hands. I do appreciate it, eh?

MikeMc

guess I just bought 44 tires at the rate Derek quoted. As I type I am drinking a Molson......who said it was like making love in a canoe?

My SL 12's ran good this afternoon.

;)))))

Oo! Oo! White sidewalls!

On the picture: "White sidewal makes charming driving all around"