About To Make My First Real Trip, Whats Going To Happen In The Mountains?

jurob

87 Granville that I brought back from the dead.

Took it on a mini overnighter and all went well. Approx 200 miles and averaged 17.25 mpg.

1st week of august I'm leaving Va Beach, VA and heading to my fathers house in Illinois. Taking interstate 64 all the way as we both live within minutes of 64.

My concern is the mountains in Va and W Va.

Has anybody every traveled this route in a Toyota RV? What can I expect speed wise going up the long steep inclines? My plan is to build up speed as I approach and hope for the best.

I've searched the forum, but don't know what the mountain ranges are like in other parts. I did read a post that somebody couldn't get up Pikes Peak. I'm sure that is much steeper, but I want to make sure its doable before I leave.

I would not hesitate to take my rig anywhere on flat ground.

Tks!

I don't think any of your Interstates are too steep for an 18-wheeler and I haven't heard of any Toyota motorhome (in good shape) that can't make it where an 18-wheeler IF you're prepared to drive at the same speed as them up the steep hills.

Yes, Pikes Peak is kind of extreme. :)

I left Raleigh NC about 10 days ago. Took 64 to 81. No problems with the hills. I can't comment about west of 81, didn't go that far.

My toy is a 16' with 20R engine. It's only 16' and 4200# with me in it.

Remember slow up and down. I cooked the rotors after the Toyota dealer had replaced the pads, among many other things. Anyway they were way off when they got warm, not too bad around town. When they tell you to use second gear for engine braking on the downhills it's for real. Had Les Schwab redo all the front brake parts, among many other things, all is well now. :)

vanman

If 7% is your steepest grade, you'll be just fine. I've been on much steeper ("much" is relative when you get to those kind of grades...9 is way steeper than 7). Worst case, first or second gear in the slow lane, flashers on. Don't ride the brakes more than necessary on the way down, use the gears.

A little momentum starting out can actually help quite a bit. But in the end, just expect to go slow.

I just downshift, let the engine rev, and take my time. These 22Re engines love rpm's. I have topped 10,000 ft several times with steep grades and never had a problem. Coming down I just ran in first gear and used the brakes only when needed, which was not very often.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

A couple years ago, the wife and I were meeting a jeep club in the George Washington National Forest. I was on 64w in a 4 cylinder wrangler going up Afton mountain which is a long steep stretch that I will be traveling to go to Illinois. It was 3-4 in the morning and I didn't know it was coming. Was going 65 or so in 5th then suddenly speed dropped and I kept downshifting till I was going 25 mph in 2nd and couldn't go any faster. I thought 2 pistons exploded or something.

That stretch of road from there into w Virginia worries me. I'm sure I would have done much better had I been ready for the grade if I had seen it coming.

Crawford notch US 302 going from Maine over to Vermont is at one point 13% grade yeah I'm down to 25 in second but no problem climbing it with a 22RE and full size Toy Home have done it many times.

I live on a road with a 25% grade. I have to go or down it every time I use my 20 foot Minicruiser. With the stock 4.1 to 1 ratio rear-axle - when I enter the road from the bottom where it's flat and keep moving - I climb the 25% OK. If I stop half way up - and then hit the gas and try to get started again - the vehicle will not go. Just slips the torque-converter. Note I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Blazer with a 379 cubic inch V8 and 3.08 axles and it too cannot start on my road once stopped UNLESS I put the transfer case into low-range. No such luxury in a Toyota RV. After I put the 4.56 gears in my rear of the Toyota- it was just enough that I can get it started again from a dead stop on a 25% grade. On a side-note - back in 1987 I bought my first and last new car. A Nissan Sentra with a 4 speed manual trans. It was the cheapest Nissan for sale and I got it new for $4800 as I recall. Tried to come home with it and guess what? It would not go up my hill. 1st gear was geared so high- it would run out of power and stall. Even with a running start from the bottom. So that meant we had to come in a back way with less grade but an extra 2 miles. A few months later we took that car to North Carolina and tried to get a room at a motel. They had steep ramps that went to upper level parking and the car could NOT make the grade in 1st. We could not drive up. A few months later I got rid of that car.

The old trick with 'low light' Morris Minors (803cc side valve engine) when unable to climb a steep hill was to reverse up it. Reverse in most vehicles is lower geared than 1st.

An exception I seem to remember reading about was the 427 Cobra, so 70mph was technically available in 1st and reverse! :)

The old trick with 'low light' Morris Minors (803cc side valve engine) when unable to climb a steep hill was to reverse up it. Reverse in most vehicles is lower geared than 1st.

An exception I seem to remember reading about was the 427 Cobra, so 70mph was technically available in 1st and reverse! :)

My 87 Nissan Sentra was faster in reverse then in 1st gear. So is my Toyota with the A43D trans. 2.4 to 1 in first, and 2.2 to 1 in reverse. Some Ford Model Ts have to be backed up steep hills but that's because the gas tank is in back and gravity feed. If the hill is too steep - the gas stops flowing unless you turn around and go up backwards.

Another problem with a Toyota RV is when on a steep hill and it's dirt like mine? If you go backwards - the weight comes off the drive wheels and you lose all the traction . Tires will just spin and you go nowhere. I can't even back up my steep driveway with my Toyota.