Newbie Toyota Dolphin, London, Uk. Any Other Uk Peeps On Here?

piecacake

Hello Everyone,

My new Toyota Dolphin is being delivered later today :)

Im In London in the UK

Any other Dolphin Lovers here in the UK?

All advice and any help very much appreciated, as the one Ive bought needs work.

Really hope Im not going to get stung with not being able to find parts etc,

Needs a windscreen, breaks, exhaust patching up and back break lights, to start with ;)

Oh happy days!

Cake. x x

Hello Everyone,

My new Toyota Dolphin is being delivered later today :)

Im In London in the UK

Any other Dolphin Lovers here in the UK?

All advice and any help very much appreciated, as the one Ive bought needs work.

Really hope Im not going to get stung with not being able to find parts etc,

Needs a windscreen, breaks, exhaust patching up and back break lights, to start with ;)

Oh happy days!

Cake. x x

I've seen newer Toyota RVs in parts of Europe and other areas over-seas (from the US). Some made into the mid 2000s. Are they common in the UK and if so, how do the prices compare with the US style Dolphin you bought? I saw a 2004 Toyota Matilda RV 4WD. Also a 2006 Winnebago Toyota Huntsman 4WD turbo-diesel RV. The latter was in Australia.

I don't know about parts availability for the RV part of you unit, but the truck parts are off the shelf one ton Toyota pickup parts. Most of the parts are the same as the 1/2 ton trucks, including: body panels, engine and transmission, front suspension, all of the glass, and cab interior. Good luck finding what you need.

As far as I know, the Toyota 1-Ton DRW was sold in limited markets. Maybe even USA only. I know they're rare up here North of the border. I don't think U-Haul ever had them on their fleet and I'm having a hard time remembering any of the Canadian MH makers that were still in operation by the time the 1-Ton DRW was available. Searching www.car-part.com for Canada turns up pretty much nothing.

As far as I know, the Toyota 1-Ton DRW was sold in limited markets. Maybe even USA only. I know they're rare up here North of the border. I don't think U-Haul ever had them on their fleet and I'm having a hard time remembering any of the Canadian MH makers that were still in operation by the time the 1-Ton DRW was available. Searching www.car-part.com for Canada turns up pretty much nothing.

There are Toyota dually RVs from the late 2000s in Australia and Europe but they are bogie-axled. Not four wheels on one axle. Like this 2004 Matilda Crystal.

post-6578-0-07875500-1401818501_thumb.jp

A long way from the Toyota 1-Ton DRW found in North America.

I guess they don't worry about axle failure as much overseas and also seem to keep their Toyota RVs a little shorter then our's. I don't know what the weights are. I suspect this 2006 Winnebago Huntsman 4WD turbo-diesel has a little weight.

post-6578-0-54172200-1401821869_thumb.jp

Beside Chef Dave we did have another member in the UK. haven't heard from him in a while but here's his thread

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6512&hl=%2Bneed+%2Bparts+%2Bengland

We have another member in Australia and the rigs there look to be mostly single axle, non full floaters. They are pretty small though. They pay big money for American motorhomes there and then spend even more getting the steering wheel switched to the other side.

No Toyota motorhomes have ever been made for the European market.

Linda S

I guess they don't worry about axle failure as much overseas and also seem to keep their Toyota RVs a little shorter then our's. I don't know what the weights are. I suspect this 2006 Winnebago Huntsman 4WD turbo-diesel has a little weight.

Damn that's cute. Is that a slide out in the back. Freaking awesome. Australian Winnebago by the way has no affiliation with the American company. They just stole the name

Linda S

Australian Winnebago is made by Avida (I think). If I was Australian and had lots of money to burn - I can't imagine wanting a USA version dually Toyota from the 80s-90s. A 23 foot Avida or Winnebago Ceduna would be the way to go for something of similar size. Dual rear 16" wheels (6 lug like a Toyota).

Built on the Mercedes Sprinter # 519 chassis. 3 liter turbo-diesel. Auto trans. 190 horse @ 3800 RPM and 324 foot pounds of torque @ 1600 RPM. 180 amp alternator. 9,900 GVW and can tow a lot.

Fuel mileage - 17 MPG (US gallons) @ 55 MPH.

I know I'd never be able to afford even half a one.

post-6578-0-83945100-1401824040_thumb.jp

Hey Linda still here not been up to much on the dolphin as our winters mean work stops on them in October November and generally start again march time, I have done work inside with the aid of a good fan heater, I have replaced the fridge, and re done the floor covering. Just got back from a 5 day run out in it and can confirm that dolphins will do 80 mph on the motorway though not something I will be repeating too often. Only job planned soon is the airbags being replaced before we venture into France later this summer. Was thinking of coil over air shocks instead of bags, I put them on my 51 chevy and they transformed the ride.

Welcome to piecacake another member of the small uk contingent, we will be chatting no doubt.

I've got coil-over-shocks in my Chinook and air-shocks in my 20 foot Mini-Cruiser along with new air-bag suspension between the leaf-springs and frame. If the RV needs a lot of extra support and lift - I would not trust beefed up shocks of any kind to bear that load alone. That is a lot of stress on those mounting pins. In the Chinook I didn't worry about having just the shocks since it's didn't need much to beef it up. The 20 foot Mini-Cruiser certainly did though.

post-6578-0-31849200-1401879633_thumb.jp

Hi jd wouldn't dream of using coil overs as main suspension on something so heavy only as an aid to the leaf springs, I do like the bag set up you've fitted though.