The Right Motorhome For A Young Family

Forrest77

Any travelers out there with young children? We have been looking at getting out first motorhome and leaning towards finding a nice Toyota given their size and MPG. We currently have a 17 month and twins on the way. Next year we have to make a 2200 mile round trip to CO and are considering taking a RV as opposed to a car or flying. My wife and I both grew up camping but this would be our first motorhome.

Basically trying to get an idea how well these micro minis fit those with young children. By the time we take the trip the twins will be 6 months and

the oldest about 2 1/2 years.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Forrest.

Sounds like it might get a bit cramped to me but what do I know? I'm only 24 :) My girlfriend and I are currently traveling across the country living in our 1987 Escaper but we get along fine in the small space.

I have twins 16 year old boys and a 8 year old daughter, they think our 1989 Toyota Warrior is the coolest thing in the world. Plenty of room for the entire family on road trips, sleeping is a bit tight but its the ultimate road trip vehicle. I have done some modifications to cater to my young family such as a Wii, built in LED monitor and gaming chair.

Most definitely look before you buy. Look for one with a rear dinette, normally they make up into a queen or almost queen. Think about all 3 of the kids sleeping in the cabover bed, with a safety net to prevent falls at night. When the kids get bigger you and wife get the cabover and the 3 kids get the queen.

Consider the seat belt laws - they vary from state to state. Here in CA there is a conflict between the s.b. laws and most of what's on the market. I'm speaking of anchor points for child car seats. The exemptions to the rules for RVs have been eliminated here, at least.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but just sayin...

I'd consider a mini-van with a porta potty for little kids as an alternative.

I'm a grandparent. My kids have car-seat safety as a concern. We don't even offer to carry the smaller grandkids in either motorhome. Now if the kids were 11 or 12 then it's a different story.

the safety issue is worth considering. The sideways sofa in my 93 winnie warrior is not approved for use while in motion. That leaves 2 seats at the booth that have seat belts.

As for the camper itself - short trips should work well - going cross country would be interesting.

Back to safety, a thought that just popped into my head would be to create attachment points behind the drivers seats on the cabin floor - places to secure child seats.

One vehicle the you might consider is the rialto - about 10 years newer & not toyota engine (vw) but there is a version with 4 automotive style seats.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rialta+camper&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS429US429&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nwFoU7jbNvOysQS5yIDQAg&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=741&dpr=0.9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=tCZNz8UJ-tbHNM%253A%3BePTFQrUxTOJFZM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rialtainfo.com%252Fmodel_info%252Fimages%252Ffloor_plan_22qd.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rialtainfo.com%252Fmodel_info%252Ffloor_plans_%2526_specs.htm%3B640%3B298

I want to add that MH trips can be the best thing a family can do. Our kids have told us the trips were the best memory of childhood.

We just used old motorhomes we bought for 6-8k and drove for a few years. Nothin fancy. Used k-mart bunkbed rails to hold them into their bunks at night to avoid falling out. Used a door for a bed supported by the dinnette for one kid. Every kid had "prepare for departure" tasks.

We had seatbelts on the sofa and dinnette.

Thanks for all the replys. Yes, safety is first and I have noticed that some Toyota units have chairs and some have benches. As long as we have safety belts I can install teather points.

Forrest,

I have two tethers that I have been meaning to remove. If you get a MH and want them, let me know. You can have them for the cost of shipping. The PO had them installed for his baby car seat. We're in our 60's and the grandchildren are nowhere near. I'm tired of stubbing my barefooted toes on them.

Toyohome

Hey Forrest ...

Go 4 it bro ...

Toyota is the way yo go ... Sure folks have other units , but it depends on what you want & how much cash y'all got ...

We run 89 Dolphin .. 3.0 V6 ... Auto with O/D ... All the power you could ever need ...

We roll the road in Bert the Toyota ... myself the old lady & 2 kids 6&9 .... All kinds of room & we trip in the winter & run from Canada to Mainland Mexico for 3-4 months & run up approx 6500k miles .. Ave mpg 15 .

We just sold our Class A ... We have not used it since Bert joined the family .

Any travelers out there with young children? We have been looking at getting out first motorhome and leaning towards finding a nice Toyota given their size and MPG. We currently have a 17 month and twins on the way. Next year we have to make a 2200 mile round trip to CO and are considering taking a RV as opposed to a car or flying. My wife and I both grew up camping but this would be our first motorhome.

Basically trying to get an idea how well these micro minis fit those with young children. By the time we take the trip the twins will be 6 months and

the oldest about 2 1/2 years.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Forrest.

Depends on how you do things and if you can stand going slow on the Interstates. We traveled and camped for many years with me, my wife, large dog, and 2-3 kids (it varied). Did it mostly with a 1991 Dodge diesel pickup truck with a slide-on camper. Nice thing about that set-up is - when you are not camping you've got a truck to use for other things. I still have it. Gets 17 MPG going down the road at 70 MPH with a camper on it. A Toyota won't do as well but diesel fuel IS more then gas in most places. The truck has a bench seat in front for two adults and one kid in the middle. Back of truck has room for two more people and one dog. Or the dog can ride in the camper. Laws were no problem. In regard to child safety . . we were legal in every state. Bench seat in front though needed a special aviation-type harness. We now are using a 20 foot Toyota with me, wife, large dog, and one 10 year old kid. Works fine and so would two kids. Three? Not sure I'd want small kids strapped into child seats in back. Can't say I've tried it though.