Water Heater Woe

Debbit

The water heater in my sun rader is a suburban 610 ac3. I'd like to ask if anyone can advise me on the water heater. It looks newer, like a replacement, and the manual I have is for a different model, so no help there. The pilot lights, and stays lit, but the main burner doesn't come on. Could be some part, like a thermo type switch, but I'm wondering if there is something else it could be. Any tricks or suggestions?

Here is a picture of the control part. I probably don't know what model it is. I did see sure urban on the side of it. The manual in the stack it came with is mor-flo and looks nothing like what is in the camper.

Thanks so much for the video and links to manuals. I was having no luck finding any!

A pic of the water hearer controls

post-7310-0-44081000-1398661694_thumb.jp

Sounds like the thermo couple it's a little thin tube that connects to the control valve and the other end is right at the pilot light make sure the pilot light end is right in the flame, they do go bad. The ideal is to turn off the gas if the pilot light goes out.

We are on our way east on a trip. Just now checking internet. I'll post pictures soon!

It does have 3 settings on knob, off, pilot and on. The pilot stays on when I turn knob to run, but the main flame never comes on. We will take a closer look when we get to tulsa. Thanks again for all the input!

Before replacing anything check the electrical connections on the gas valve from the thermocouple, it's a low voltage and low current output device so connections are cruical.

john

sounds like the controller is not sending gas to the big flame. Some vehicles have coolant lines from the engine that heat the water while underway. By chance do you see any radiator / automotive style hoses going to / from the water heater? When you turn on a hot water faucet is hot water present?

I have also heard that if the pilot is on long enough it will heat the water to the point that the big flame is not activated unless someone opens a hot water faucet and cold water enters the water tank.

I am not inclined to think that you have a thermocouple issue. If the thermocouple was not detecting heat at the pilot light &/or was not providing a signal to the controller the controller should cut off all gas extinguishing the pilot light

Hi,

Guessing about this, but I would look for a circuit board, that has a built in safety circuit, so if the boards flame sensor is malfunctioning, then it will prohibit it from starting up. Another thought is that the thermostat or controller is faulty or perhaps has a bad ground or control switch (off/on)

Boots

The picture of the on off switch match a Suburban SW series water heater Look here. Upside down but looks the same. I don't remember is yours a rear bath or dinette. If it's the rear bath the 6 gallon, rear dinette 4 gallon

28_1.jpg.thumb_popupprod_info_234x284_d8 Linda S

Yes, that matches! Mine is rear dinette. We are still on the road (and having fun) I've just been boiling water as needed. I do want to get it lit though, and will work on it when we get home. Thanks!

So reading the service manual Linda so helpfully provided, I saw that once the pilot was lit you turn it to "on" then depress knob and turn to the line on the dial. BINGO! Big flame and hot water!