the charge and brake lights go on and stay on for a few seconds and then go out. This has been going on for several days. There are no other issues happening just the lights on then off.

I have checked battery terminal tightness and is ok. I could take off connections and clean etc. Just wondering of there may been some issues with alternator or battery connections.

I am on a road trip 600 miles from home and always appreciate the help I get from this forum.

Thanks Dan

I too have that problem, although my charge and brake warning red lights seem to blink on/off rather rapidly. If I touch the brake pedal to just slightly set the brakes, the blinking stops. If I add brake fluid slightly above the full line in the reservoir, the blinking stops, so I'm suspicious of the sending unit on the brake fluid level. Further testing will happen this week. I haven't been able to find anything else that would be causing it.

Steve

Your alternator is failing. That is how Toyota warns you of that

Linda S

This ^ They are also tied into the brake fluid level sensor but that generally will stay on if the level is low.

I checked the level on brake fluid and it was a little low. I filled it and still getting the lights on and off. How long do I have before it will start disharging the battery? I was hoping to get it home (600 miles from here) before I deal with mechanical issues. If it goes on and stays on I know the battery will start getting drained.

I ignored my intermittent warning lights for a year. Of course when they finally stayed on I was on vacation and had to go home instead. Do they flicker when your stopped or going slow and go off when your going faster? If they are flickering all the time check your belt. Might be loose

Linda S

Any tips on tightening the alternator belt? It is in a tight area and I will need a flashlight to see things. I just drove about 80 miles and most of the time the light was off. Usually it comes on when the rpms drop off when I am slowing down. I am also hearing the belt squeaking when the lights are on while I increase the RPMs the lights go out.. It seems that tightening the belt drive may be all that needs done..

Probably not. The fact that it goes off when the rpm's are higher means it's cause the alternator is turning faster and making a little more power. Like I said they usually work some long before they die completely. Just stop somewhere and have it tested. Won't cost hardly anything to know what you are really dealing with. When you push down on the belt do you have a lot of give? More than an inch. Should be about a half inch but up to an inch your probably still fine. Too tight can be a problem too so if you still insist on it don't overdo it.

Linda S

My alternator went out while in Alaska. Bought a re-man from Shucks now O'rilles. Don't buy from O'rilles ,spelling?. If you can have the original rebuilt buy a competent builder do it. Also put on a new belt and down the road 500 miles re-tighten the belt

Any tips on tightening the alternator belt? It is in a tight area and I will need a flashlight to see things. I just drove about 80 miles and most of the time the light was off. Usually it comes on when the rpms drop off when I am slowing down. I am also hearing the belt squeaking when the lights are on while I increase the RPMs the lights go out.. It seems that tightening the belt drive may be all that needs done..

They are a bear to get to if you have A/C. A squealing belt is a common problem on a 22RE and yes if it is slack enough it will not charge at idle.Your best bet would be to have a new belt/belts in you hand before you tackle the loose belt because it is probably toast.

In your place, I'd at least go to AutoZone/Pep Boys/wherever and buy an alternator and set of belts (change 1, might as well do them all) even if you don't/can't install them right away. That way at least if you break down on a Sunday night in East Overshoe Montana a helpful stranger might be able to help you install them and you won't hear "I'd help if I could if only ..."!! :)

On my 22RE adjusting the alternator belt is a simple job. There is a bolt that needs to be loosened that holds the idler secure to the mount and then you turn another bolt to increase tension on the belt, then retighten the first bolt. You do not have to pry on the alternator to get the tension right.

I made it home 600 miles and just thought I would share information about the warning light problem. The lights went off and on a few more times a the beginning of my 600 mile trip. By the time I was 100 miles down the road the lights were not to be seen again. I check belt tension and it was ok.

So I think what happened was related to my 3 week visit on Ocracoke island where I used the camper for storage of my equipment for a work project there. I had to move the camper on short runs in sometimes water soaked streets and either the moisture or stop and go driving prompted the warning lights. I never saw the battery discharge and experienced no other problems-just the warning lights. I did hear a humming noise associated with the lights going on and as soon as they went out it stopped.

Anyhow thanks for the info shared on this topic and just wanted to share the outcome on this matter.

I made it home 600 miles and just thought I would share information about the warning light problem. The lights went off and on a few more times a the beginning of my 600 mile trip. By the time I was 100 miles down the road the lights were not to be seen again. I check belt tension and it was ok.

So I think what happened was related to my 3 week visit on Ocracoke island where I used the camper for storage of my equipment for a work project there. I had to move the camper on short runs in sometimes water soaked streets and either the moisture or stop and go driving prompted the warning lights. I never saw the battery discharge and experienced no other problems-just the warning lights. I did hear a humming noise associated with the lights going on and as soon as they went out it stopped.

Anyhow thanks for the info shared on this topic and just wanted to share the outcome on this matter.

In the fact that it came about when wet points even more towards the belt. They have to be bow string tight I would have another look at the belts they have a tendency to ware on the tapered part of the belt making it sit deeper in the belt groove. The belt should be even with the edge of the alternator pulley if it is deeper than the top edge the belt is worn out. Belts are not expensive if there is any doubt it's better to replace it instead of waiting for it to break.