Me Again--Plumbing Problem

Can anyone in Toyland provide a rough diagram of the plumbing system on a 1990s Itasca Spirit on Winnebago Warrior (they are the same) with the rear bathroom. I have been dewinterizing and have hit a snag. Everything works fine but I can't get hot water in the kitchen and bathroom. The hot water heater operates and the tank is warm. There are two knobs under the sink and I have turned both of them horizontal to the water lines. There are two more small valves operated by a metal clip switch. Tried all the combinations, get a minute of hot water then nothing but cold. Can't do too much experimentation because the smaller, metal switches start leaking in the on position. Ready to call my $75 an hour RV tech but thought I would try forum members first. There should be an easy solution. I have owned this machine for a little over a year and this is the first time I have dewinterized.

Could it be as simple as your not opening the hot water valve? Some on off valves require them to be in-line but some require you to screw all the way open, lefty loosely? Just a guess I know my tank drain valve requires me to turn all the way lefty loosely to allow water to drain.

Pictures would help. If your valves are the same as a "ball valve" the handles should run parallel with the water line when in the open position.

I'm not familiar with your particular rig. Pictures will help other members identify your problem.

I'm assuming when you say "no hot water" you mean no water at all.

If your getting water, but it's cold on the hot side then the problem is with the heater itself.

Can anyone in Toyland provide a rough diagram of the plumbing system on a 1990s Itasca Spirit on Winnebago Warrior (they are the same) with the rear bathroom.

Like this? http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1991/321RB.pdf

Start here for different years/models. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Plumbing.htm

It sounds like some one has added a hot water by pass system to the tank. It is a 3 way valve that stops the water from running into the heater and by passes it to the hot water pipes. This allows you to put antifreeze into the plumbing and not into the hot water tank saving 6 gallons of antifreeze. The valves should point to the plumbing not the short by pass hose.

I would check for a hot water bypass as described by Maineah. If has been so equipped you should see 2 valves on the water heater - open the cabinet under the stove - they should be obvious.

A bypass is essentially 2 valves that allow water to either go into the water heater or into the bypass line - one on the input side & the other on the output side (of the water heater).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have the exact same model as you. I just bought this Toy. I have been messing with the plumbing, so I know what you mean. Those two funny looking valves are the drain values for the hot water tank, and the cold water tank. I would think if they are opened (they can only be open or closed) you would see a lot of water coming out onto the ground, somewhere around the back wheels (on the same side as the tanks/heater) so if that is not happening the next most likely thing is that someone may have installed a bypass line to bypass the hot water tank, look for a set of Tees, valves and a tube that would route the water around the hot water tank. Finally you may have an air lock in or around the water pump. This can be easily checked by opening the cold water line, water coming means no air lock at the pump. Let me if this helps

Boots