I have an erratic and intermittent check engine light on my 22RE (87 Dolphin). O'Reilly's test shows no codes.

I have had problems with my taillight sockets and was wondering if there could be any correlation to the CE light problem. Any thoughts/ideas?

Could I successfully change out my taillight fixtures with new LED fixtures? I tried LED bulbs in the old sockets but they would not work so I returned to the old style bulbs. Now with the CE light problem, I'm thinking of replacing the whole assembly if there appears to be any connection between the two problems.

a taillight socket is no way connected to a CEL. Have you had the rig for a while? Is this a new problem? When they pulled codes on it, was the light on at that time?

A lite isn't polarized, an LED is. My Toy has some the hot and ground wires on the lights switched from what is normal automotive wiring protocall. If the bulb works and the LED doesn't check the polarity, I just rolled over the wires on mine, LED's all OK now.

This may be why when one trys to add devices onto the TOY using the light feeds the polarity sensitive DC device does not work, or blows fuse ???

john

i also have an intermittent check eng light on my 87 dolphon 22re am going to install a new oxygen sensor see if that fixes that. very easy to get at right on the exst manifold one wire on the 86 chassis. later they moved it down under on the pipe.

I second the O2 sensor if it is intermittent and no code you probably notice it going up and down hills. A simple volt meter will tell you pretty quickly if the O2 sensor is bad. Disconnect the O2 wire and probe the wire and a good ground with a DVM it should read in the range of .1 to .9 volts while the engine is running. The key is not so much the voltage as it is the fluctuation it must be very active if it is lazy or changes very little the sensor is bad. It is a very simple sensor you do not need to buy an OEM replacement a generic one will work just fine for about ½ the price. It is not related to your lighting issue that is another problem all together.

First, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions in troubleshooting my problem. This is indeed a great website!

I have found that invariably, when I have a problem it turns out to actually not be a problem at all. There were great suggestions here, but no one suggested actually plugging the O2 sensor in! Yep. It was unplugged! Problem solved!

Now we'll see if the mileage increases.

Thanks again!