Second Coach Battery Installation

toyohome

I have a 1987 Dolphin 800. I would like to install a second coach battery and need suggestions on where to locate it and how to wire it. Pictures would help very much and I know we have a lot of expertise out there in the Toyoworld. Thanks for your help!

Hard to say exactly where to install a 2nd battery. If I'm not mistaken, your 800 has the battery installed on the driver's side in a VENTILATED (very important) compartment. Any 2nd battery should also be installed in a ventilated compartment. I don't have an 800, so it'll be up to you to grab a tape measure and figure out where to locate a 2nd battery.

If you plan to have 2 12v batteries, they must be wired in parallel. If 2 6v batteries, wire them in series to give 12v.

I just installed a second battery in my 1989 Warrior, there was no room in the stock location so I relocated the battery to a rear compartment. To compensate for moving the batteries further from the converter I upgraded all the wiring to 4awg and my ground to 0awg. This made up for any voltage drop due to extending my wire length to the new battery compartment. I used two 6volt golf cart batteries from Costco and purchased some battery trays which I bolted to the inside of my compartment. I then cut out a ventilating hole and installed a vent.

It did take some time but was one of the best upgrades I have done, I went from 80 amp hours of battery to 255 hours. I also plan on turning the old battery compartment into a bigger storage area once the weather warms up. When I get home I'll post some pictures of my set up.

Nice pete im going to get two golf cart batteries from costco too.

Right now I have two size 27 deep cycles start batteries

The weird thing about costco is the more durable the battery thr shorter the warranty.

So while their golf cart batteries are literally cheaper than their deep cycles which are now cheaper than their starting batteries

The golf cart warranties are six twelve as opposed to three years.

But upon returning any battery the warranty resets.

So eventually my set up is going to be two size 27 one for starting the rv and two golf cart with a digital isolater and 150 amp alternator also

I forgot to say that in my dolphin 300 I drilled a hole from the inside through the holding compartment and ran wires to the 2nd battery stored in the converter box space. Ie where the cord is stored. Room for two there when I throw away the converter box.

Yours might not work that way. I pull out the shelve over the furnace and I have the battery box and convertet there.

Caution when adding / relocating batteries. The battery needs to be vented to the outside world. They put off Hydrogen gas when charging and if this is in an enclosed area, it will explode if it gets an ignition source.

John Mc

Caution when adding / relocating batteries. The battery needs to be vented to the outside world. They put off Hydrogen gas when charging and if this is in an enclosed area, it will explode if it gets an ignition source.

John Mc

Thanks John,

I was thinking about putting the second battery (inside) under the dinette seat and using some sort of 'sealed' battery. That location would be near the primary

(outside) location and would not 'gas off'. I figured it would be easier to tie the two together in that location since they would be fairly close together.

FWIW: My outside battery compartment is not vented at all. The factory original access door is solid.

Also: I am in the process of changing all my interior coach lights to LEDs. Will that make a significant difference in coach power consumption? If so, I may not need to add another battery.

Thanks again.

Here are a few pictures of my battery relocation project.

This is the old Battery compartment, notice that the weight of the battery has caused the bottom to sag. There was only room for one battery.

Old Battery Compartment

This is the new battery compartment, you can see the vent I added to the door. There is more than enough room for two batteries, plus spare room for tools or supplies.

new Battey compartment

Old Battery compartment is to the left of the front door, new compartment is to the rear.

Old vs new

I lined the new compartment with sound barrier, it's a rubber compound with a foil on top.

Batteries 2

You can see the heavy wire to reduce voltage drop and the battery trays secured to the floor of the compartment. I also have a battery shut off attached to the negative post.

Batteries

Yes, for me that was a huge jump up in battery capacity. I had a 55amp hour Blue Top Optima before the swap.

Can you provide the specs on the batteries? I'm in the process of all sorts of electrical work on my 89 Warrior, including the removal of the stock generator, and I really like your use of the space back there.

Thanks

The batteries are just the standard golf cart batteries you can buy at any Costco. In my opinion they are they best bang for your buck. I think I got them for around $80.00 for each one. I just finished a complete restore on the inside of my 1989 Warrior, here are a few teaser pictures. I'll get some new ones up soon.

post-7129-0-72277400-1379899909_thumb.jp
post-7129-0-36429800-1378611346_thumb.jp

Nice. The finishing looks great. What did you do with your converter? I see that the stock one is pulled out. I ended up replacing mine with a 3 stage 45A slide in kit from bestconverter.com.

I'm assuming the new light fixtures are led? Looks great. I kept the original fixtures in mines, but I pulled the bulbs and soldered in leds.

Not to drift on the thread topic here, but it's interesting seeing pics from another 89' because mine has some pretty significant differences. For example, I don't have windows in the sides of the overcab bed.

Once I get a bit more done, I'll put up a thread with some changes on mine. I picked up a worn down beater and am turning into a fun vehicle for ski trips.

Well im penciling in putting 2 size 27 under the hood like dolphin did in the early 80s
And then eventually two and four golf carts in the back where the converter box is in a dolphin 300. One in the battery compartment 3 in the spot where the box and cord is.
This is already vented and sealed from the inside

• 1 month later...

I have a 1987 Dolphin 800. I would like to install a second coach battery and need suggestions on where to locate it and how to wire it. Pictures would help very much and I know we have a lot of expertise out there in the Toyoworld. Thanks for your help!

I have an 87 dolphin 900, I put mine under the one bench seat on the left side of the coach. I currently have three deep cycle batteries setup under there in parallel with a solar charger hooked up to them. Because of where I relocated the batteries for the solar charging to, I removed the deep cycle coach battery on the outside compartment and removed all the wires related to it. I now just have the three all under the bench.

I should also mention that I disconnected from the converter and only have an inverter now. I also disconnected the isolator so now the front and back on completely independent. I'm not sure what type/size/output the solar panel is, but I have never gotten close to running out of juice even after multiple days of overcast and heavy usage. Lucky me I guess.

• 1 year later...

I just installed a second battery in my 1989 Warrior, there was no room in the stock location so I relocated the battery to a rear compartment. To compensate for moving the batteries further from the converter I upgraded all the wiring to 4awg and my ground to 0awg. This made up for any voltage drop due to extending my wire length to the new battery compartment. I used two 6volt golf cart batteries from Costco and purchased some battery trays which I bolted to the inside of my compartment. I then cut out a ventilating hole and installed a vent.

It did take some time but was one of the best upgrades I have done, I went from 80 amp hours of battery to 255 hours. I also plan on turning the old battery compartment into a bigger storage area once the weather warms up. When I get home I'll post some pictures of my set up.

I have an '88 Warrior and I'm trying to locate a battery disconnect switch if there is one. Where should I look, or is it non-existent? The coach battery when I bought it had the positive terminal wrapped in electrical tape and there is a piece of wire with a fuse hanging off of it. An idea what that could be all about?

I have an '88 Warrior and I'm trying to locate a battery disconnect switch if there is one. Where should I look, or is it non-existent? The coach battery when I bought it had the positive terminal wrapped in electrical tape and there is a piece of wire with a fuse hanging off of it. An idea what that could be all about?

Probably non-existent unless someone added one later. When I redid the electrical I used ANL fuses at the batteries as protection but wish I had used circuit breaker/disconnects like these.

breaker2.jpg

In the battery box of mine there were some of these self resetting circuit breakers that I am not a big fan of.

breaker1.jpg

If you want a disconnect it would be a matter of connecting up at either the battery or even at the power center by putting it in between the battery and DC input of the power center. I ended up installing one of these as a disconnect. It has a removable key that I keep in my glove box after I turn the power off. Key in and turned to turn power on. Good idea for when not using the battery to disconnect it. When I had the old power center, I turned the battery off and ran the RV off the power center without the battery as the old power center.

switch1.jpg

These are a couple of simple ideas on handling disconnecting power and perhaps upgrading the protection circuits.

Probably non-existent unless someone added one later. When I redid the electrical I used ANL fuses at the batteries as protection but wish I had used circuit breaker/disconnects like these.

breaker2.jpg

In the battery box of mine there were some of these self resetting circuit breakers that I am not a big fan of.

breaker1.jpg

If you want a disconnect it would be a matter of connecting up at either the battery or even at the power center by putting it in between the battery and DC input of the power center. I ended up installing one of these as a disconnect. It has a removable key that I keep in my glove box after I turn the power off. Key in and turned to turn power on. Good idea for when not using the battery to disconnect it. When I had the old power center, I turned the battery off and ran the RV off the power center without the battery as the old power center.

switch1.jpg

These are a couple of simple ideas on handling disconnecting power and perhaps upgrading the protection circuits.

These are great, thank you. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to hook the coach battery up without one. When I bought the MH, there was nothing connected on the positive terminal. There is a very thick wire that comes in from the top of the compartment that has a red, black and orange wire. These were all wrapped in electrical tape like they aren't supposed to be used. The black wire that comes in from the wiring blocks mounted at the top of the compartment was stripped and ready for a terminal. I assume this is hot since there are red wires also connected to the same wiring block. There is a green wire coming down which appears to ground? Electrical stuff is not my favorite. But geez, I should be able to install a battery! When I hooked the positive and ground to the terminals i don't get any lights inside. Can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Edited by Pammy

The circuit for the battery should be pretty strait forward. That said, mine was not functional when I got it. Yours if still pretty much stock should be similar to mine. The fact that it has stuff disconnected has me worried that it has been messed with. I drew a quick drawing of the entire basic circuit that includes what should be there with the only addition is a battery cut off switch which would not be original. There is a fuse/breaker for each line connected to each battery that has been added for the purpose of charging and powering up the house side. I am hoping it is easy to follow for you. Just ask if you have questions and we can work through it if you haven't already got it up and going by now. Here is the circuit diagram.

battery_iso1.jpg

Note: Fixed the text on this. The three rectangular blocks represent the fuse/circuit breakers and the other device is the battery isolation relay under the hood. The round device is the disconnect switch. Maybe later I'll go back into cad and push up the line weight so it is easier to read and swap that image out.

Here is some thing else that might be useful http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Dual-Battery-Switch-Isolator-Kill-Switch-TMC-DUAL-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-KILL-Swch-/161606533061?hash=item25a07fffc5&vxp=mtr

It is very useful to balance the batteries, if you have two 12v batteries in parallel.

It is fairly common on boats to have a switch for selecting different batteries, combinations of batteries or a position for all shut off. Or if you only have one house battery there is a shut off switch for that.

Blue Sea is a good company and they supply good equipment.

http://shop.pkys.com/Standard-Battery-Switches_c_50.html

Thanks so much for your help. I was finally able to figure out why it wasn't working. There was a 12v multi socket power block by the door inside that had a connection that just had bare wire looped thru a spade connector haphazardly. I put a wire nut on and now house lights work. Crazy!

• 7 months later...

I do not see that your compartment is vented.  Did you add vents to the door?  Also, without a tray or access from above, isn't it difficult to get those heavy 6V batteries out to periodically check the water level?