Alternator To Coach Battery Question

Pete1122

My Alternator is no longer charging my coach battery's, I am having a hard time understanding how the alternator is wired.

1. Is the Alternator connected to the isolator and then to the 12 volt auto resetting breakers next to my batteries and then then to the battery?

Or

2. Alternator to the isolator and then to the power converter?

I have a 1989 Warrior and the wiring diagrams are not clear.

If the isolator is the relay type usually it's wired to the truck battery on one side and the coach battery on the other. There should be a ckt breaker at the truck battery, usually not done by the coach builder. Usually the side of the isolator that goes to the ckt breaker goes to the coach battery, there may or not be another ckt breaker at the end of that wire at the coach battery.

Search the index, either waiter or Maineah has posted an neat basic wiring diagram of our Toys.

john

If you have the old style 6300 converter it has an internal relay that switches the coach battery out of line and then connects to the charger. When shore power is disconnected it switches the battery back into the circuit. Sometimes those relays fail. Anyhow just another possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

Not good, should have 14v+. Check v at your isolater

What ia the voltage supposed to be at the coach battery?

Right now i have 12.7

What type of isolator do you have? If it is a relay type it is activated by the key switch via the small terminal on the relay it's - comes from the truck body through the relay frame. If it has cooling fins and three large wires and a small one it's solid state and the diagnostics are different.

So your alternator is ok and so is truck battery. Check v at isolater going to house battery. If its low then isolater is bad or bad connection.

What type of isolator do you have? If it is a relay type it is activated by the key switch via the small terminal on the relay it's - comes from the truck body through the relay frame. If it has cooling fins and three large wires and a small one it's solid state and the diagnostics are different.

I have the stock relay isolator. i have had voltage in thr past test fine but after putting in a brand new battery i retested and the rear battery doesnt get the juice. It might have always been that way i just never knew because the voltage during the day is like 17 from the solar panel.

That is the simplest type. Both of the batteries are protected by 35 amp auto reset breakers they get nasty (rusty etc.) you need to make sure both sides of the little breakers have voltage and are clean. The relay should have voltage on both big terminals. Turn the key on the relay makes a pretty good clunk if it's working. There should now be voltage at the small terminal on the relay it is supplied by some thing in the truck via the key switch there is not set point as to what may supply current so if it has none some thing else may not be working either any thing that goes on with the key could be suspect. Start the engine check the voltage at both big terminals on the relay they should be reading charging voltage, both of them. If one does and the other doesn't and the small relay terminal is powered the relay is toes up. If all is good try the coach battery and see what it shows for voltage it will be a little bit lower but that is normal due to the voltage loss no big deal unless it's a lot.

Maineah ...

I'm currently on the road on a trip through Mexico ...

Today I find my coach batteries dead , we have been parked for a few days plugged in to shore power ... I'm currently checking out the relay & it does look like it's not working as it should ..

The 2 35amp breakers are located where ?? ... Are we talking about the ones in the main box under my couch ?

Thanks if you get chance to get back ...

One last thing ... Will any simple relay work ?

Update ... My coach battery is not dead it's my motor battery that's dead ..

It's the first time we have parked up for a number of days & we have had our stereo/cd playing music & also 2-3 items charging from the dash cigaret plug in ..... Please slap me if I'm stupid , but when we are parked & on shore power hookup does my motor battery also get charged ? .. Or is the under hood relay for the propose of Not allowing the motor battery to be drained , but allowing the alternator to charged the house battery when driving ? .

Gee I hope that makes sence .... Our other caper did not ever get a flat battery , but I do remember more than one relay .

Thanks again

The isolater is supposed to prevent what happened to you.

Your possiblities are

1. You battery is toast

2. You have a phantom load, somethings still on.

3. Isolater is bad and you've discharged the truck battery.

P.S. The truck battery is NOT charged by the converter

Thanks WME ...

So I'm assuming though the cab electrics are fed from the truck battery ? .

I'll have it charged up by morning , a nice campsite neighbor loaned me his charger ! .... Then I'll start looking it will be light then .

I found all the wiring diagrams in the camper folder that came with ... Cool to look at for sure .

Just got to have my music !

Maybe a hot wire to the radio when I'm parked up ?

Thank you WME .

Yeah you were playing music off your truck battery.

Solution? Wire a separate stereo for the coach. One solution, anyway...

I don't really need to pump out a lot of sound, so I actually just bought a wireless speaker for my ipod. There are Jambox and Bose Soundlink Mini, etc.

Just wire your radio to go to the house battery or buy a small 12v charger and hard wire it to the truck battery.

im having crazy power problems along this line. now my brand newtruck battery has tested bad after a week

now the alternator at the truck battery is 12.5

at the coach its now 12.7

how that is possible i dont understand. there is some sort of electrical suck in the system. shopping for an alternator right now.

as a quickie, the oreilly alternator is rated at 70 amp compared to 60 for the autozone and napa one for $10 more.

should i go for that one or is it a lie?

if there is a direct link alternator upgrade anywhere on this forum id appreciate it .

Another solution is to power your cad radio/cd off the coach battery. Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy another radio to install in the coach. :)

That's the plan today Derek ... Just got to remove the darn dash again to get to it all lol ... Anyways I'll put power to the cigarette lighter at the same time .

Thanks all

If anyone has the need I have wiring diagrams for the 89-90 dolphin layouts , can easily take a photo & post if needed .

Bye the way hot & sunny in Mexico , the toy has 3,211 miles so far !

Update ... My coach battery is not dead it's my motor battery that's dead ..

It's the first time we have parked up for a number of days & we have had our stereo/cd playing music & also 2-3 items charging from the dash cigaret plug in ..... Please slap me if I'm stupid , but when we are parked & on shore power hookup does my motor battery also get charged ? .. Or is the under hood relay for the propose of Not allowing the motor battery to be drained , but allowing the alternator to charged the house battery when driving ? .

Gee I hope that makes sence .... Our other caper did not ever get a flat battery , but I do remember more than one relay .

Thanks again

Yeah the isolator is to keep the truck battery from being discharged while you are using stuff in the coach. The onboard charger only charges the coach battery so if you were running the stuff from the truck battery it will go flat. Driving will charge both but now when plugged in.

I have taken pics of the diograms ...

There is about 18 pages / diograms

If any on needs any just let me know ..

Photos are a little large & my internet connection is not strong enough to upload .

All are of 89/90 dolphin

Sorry to digress...

What does 13.5 at the coach battery say. Is it supposed to be th e samebas the truck battery in short.

I guess you are trying to say they should both be the same? Yes, the coach charge rate maybe slightly lower maybe a few 10th's of a volt.

I had the same issue with my 91 Warrior. Turns out there are 2 solenoids under the hood in the alternator charge circuit. One allows the alternator to charge the truck battery and the other one, located close by under the hood, allows the alternator to charge the coach battery. If you locate both solenoids ... they are in plain view and easy to access ... and test them both, you should find the bad one. They are cheap and easy to replace. Good luck and Happy New Year. Wayne