Optical Illusion?

Debbit

I look at lots of toy homes. Some look so much shorter than others. I know there are a few modules that are shorter, but my 84 dolphin 300, for example looks much shorter than pics I see of, say a 91 dolphin. I wonder if it's the windows or photo angle. Or are some bigger.

You aren't seeing things. I have a 91 and the length is 21 feet. It's a Dolphin model 900 which also has a different floor plan than the 300, as well as a full bathroom.

Of course you come out ahead on fuel economy!

The biggest toy is 23ft (Ez Ryder). 21ft and 19ft seem to be the common sizes. Sunraders run 21ft and 18ft, with the older 17fter. Anything between 16ft and 23ft is possible

I saw one made in wisconsin at the felton run years ago and was talking to the owner who said it was a 22' and I said it looked like a short one based on eyeballing the length of the coach beyond the rear wheels. He said he had measured it at over 22' so I got my tape measure and suprise, suprise it was that long and it looked like that because they had increased the wheelbase. I forget the exact amount but it was around a foot, to my knowledge Toyota never made 'em like that. Looked like a really well built unit.

john

Ez Ryder and some Escapers used a stretched frame. The Escaper in my Avatar looks like a 19 ft job, but it is a 21ft with a stretched frame (143" WB)

As far as I know, Toyota never shipped the C&C with a wheelbase longer than 137".

Though I don't doubt the 143" WB, it sure sounds like a LOT of work to do for an extra 6". Not only the frame rails but also the drive shaft, brake lines and e-brake cable, presumably. Possibly the 'stretching' was only done before the 137" was available.

Pre 1986 I think almost all off the 21 footers had a stretched frame. Before 86 the largest wheelbase Toyota made was 112 inches which is the wheelbase my 18 ft Sunrader is on. I measured the wheel base of a friend who visited me in his 85 Sunrader cause it looked so long and it was 142 or 143 inches. Had to be stretched for that.

Linda S

With the correct tools a drive shaft is easy, same with brake line and cables. Swaging tools are restively cheap and brake tubing tool are really cheap