First motorhome ever and I have questions

Rlantozzi

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I purchased my first motorhome. It is a 1979 toyota sunrader with the 20r 4 cyl. I am sure I will have a lot of questions and I am hoping that someone on here can help me out. The person I purchased the rv from had it for a year and never used it so he couldn't really show me how to work anything. My first question is the fridge. How do I turn it on and select for it to run on electric or propane? Everything else that was electric worked fine, but I couldn't figure out the fridge...... Question #2. Is there a good way to test my propane system for leaks before trying to fire up the stove and water heater?

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of old and slow :glare:

#1 There should be an AC power cord accessible from the out side. It should have a 110 plug, it may have a 30 amp plug and an adapter to a house hold outlet. Plug it into power and then find the switch on the refer that says AC/Gas switch to AC and wait 3-4 hours and then see if anything inside the refer is getting cold.. VERY IMPORTANT, the refer must be level.

#2An RV store should have a leak check fluid. OR just mix up soapy water and dribble on each joint you can find. Light the stove first, then water heater and then the refer. Make sure there is water in the heater before you light it.

Thanks. I cannot find a switch on the fridge anywhere though. I looked all over the outside parts that I can see and on the inside of it. Am I just missing something? I will try and figure out how to upload a pic of it

Check the door under the refer. Most of the controls are usually located on the bottom frame of the unit. You have to open the door to see them.

If you open the refer door and get on your knees anything??

The AC/gas control SHOULD??? be by the thermostat for the refer, its a rotary dial switch

Nothing in the fridge at all as far as switches or dials go....HOWEVER I found a switch in a compartment on the exterior of the RV on the backside of where the fridge is where I could select 12v or 110. There was also gas lines in there but I couldn't make out any labels.... So I plugged the RV in and set it for 110 and I'm hoping that is it....

Nothing in the fridge at all as far as switches or dials go....HOWEVER I found a switch in a compartment on the exterior of the RV on the backside of where the fridge is where I could select 12v or 110. There was also gas lines in there but I couldn't make out any labels.... So I plugged the RV in and set it for 110 and I'm hoping that is it....

To repeat, make sure the RV is level otherwise you will ruin the refrigerator -- it cannot run akilter on propane or electricity. Kim