What auto transmission do I need -1986 Odyssey?

Thanks, John! I've saved the manual for future use! Interesting reading! I'm starting to understand why transmission work is so expensive!

Hi Siskiou Try pulling it out and working the cable back and forward to see if you can get any movement, then at least you would be able to drive it and get it fixed. I had mine replaced at a transmission shop and they only removed the pan, it wasn't a long job, I forget what it cost now, I don't remember there being any "stops" on the cable except for the two ends, the old cable had a rubber piece in from the motor end to gauge the adjustment.

Thanks, Mike! I'll try to see if I can get it to go back in again, today. Looks like some cables have stops and others don't, depending on the car brand.

What you can try if you need to drive it start in L and manually shift it, if it shifts for you it most likely will still be late and shift pretty hard but it would be better (and a bit faster) then low gear. The pan has to be removed and once installed adjusted properly. Figure on 2 hours or so for some one that has done it before. Don't bother with the JCW cable get the real deal. Don't think I have ever seen any thing from JCW that actually fit properly. The cable has a plastic liner over the years the inner cable cuts through the liner so no amount of oil etc will fix it.

We'll give that a try! And it sounds like the aftermarket stuff is not necessarily a good deal. Other people recommend getting the genuine Toyota one, too.

I did some more looking and it seems there were 2 different cables used in 1986. You will need to search with your vin for the correct one. This is the same part number as the other one I posted and was used only to early 1986

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~cable~assy~throttle~35520-22021.html

This one was used mid 86 to mid 87

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~cable~assy~throttle~35520-35080.html

Linda S

Thanks so much, Linda! According to the VIN, we need the early 1986 version!

Could have been an expensive mistake, to get the wrong one!

Got it fixed today! :)

It was the kickdown cable, and the mechanic had to drop the pan to get at the throttle valve, to get the cable out.

$80 later, the transmission works better than before, and we are very happy that it was a cheap and easy fix!

And we found what seems like an honest transmission mechanic, who didn't try to talk us into getting a rebuild done, like several others, whom we spoke to on the phone.

There was no sign of a torched cable jacket.

I'm hoping, the same thing won't happen again, but at least we know, what to look for now!

Thanks for all the help and support, everyone!

Got it fixed today! :)

It was the kickdown cable, and the mechanic had to drop the pan to get at the throttle valve, to get the cable out.

$80 later, the transmission works better than before, and we are very happy that it was a cheap and easy fix!

And we found what seems like an honest transmission mechanic, who didn't try to talk us into getting a rebuild done, like several others, whom we spoke to on the phone.

There was no sign of a torched cable jacket.

I'm hoping, the same thing won't happen again, but at least we know, what to look for now!

Thanks for all the help and support, everyone!

Don't lose track of that guy! OK on the external damage maybe it was cob webs in my old brain. The cable moves every time you step on the gas but as you can see it lasted 27 years!

If you just have to really know what happened, just pull the old cable out of the housing and look at the worn place.

I have seen 3 causes for cable failure.

1 It just wore out

2 Some one burned the cable on the outside with a gas torch.

3 Some one used an arc welder with the ground hooked to the wrong spot. This will heat up the inner cable and melt thenylon liner, letting the inner cable rub on the outer seath and wearing things out.

If you just have to really know what happened, just pull the old cable out of the housing and look at the worn place.

I have seen 3 causes for cable failure.

1 It just wore out

2 Some one burned the cable on the outside with a gas torch.

3 Some one used an arc welder with the ground hooked to the wrong spot. This will heat up the inner cable and melt thenylon liner, letting the inner cable rub on the outer seath and wearing things out.

Her mechanic soaked the old cable in something and reinstalled it. Must have just been gunked up

Linda S

• 2 years later...

Not that this is of any help to the original poster but I am just as lost and really need to know what kind of 4-speed automatic transmission i need to replace on my 1985 Toyota Dolphin Motorhome as well? Where do you find the info to know exactly which exact type of tranny im looking to buy? And where would i go about looking to buy a cheap one? I dont care if its new, used or rebuilt i just need to get the RV running again. Also, where do most people buy parts for such old toyota motorhomes? Are there actual websites that are specific to old rv part sales or is it just ebay and such? If any one has any useful info, I would really appreciate hearing from you! Thank you