Ok. I feel like a psycho

Debbit

I LOVE our toy dolphin. Love it.

But I also love my VW Westfalia. Aside from the obvious benefits to the dolphin, I still do love the westy.

I'm feeling awfully divided. Many years I've upgraded, driven and fiercely loved my westy.

Gotta say water heater, bathroom, and space has made me prefer the dolphin.

Today I saw, In person, three toyota motorhomes. THREE.

one was a coveted 4wd sunrader. I looked inside. Nice!

The other two were dolphins. One going down the road, the other at the RV place I go for help and work. I know first hand how comfy, practical and perfect they are. But I have to say it, they look a little .......well don't know what.

My westy is cool, no question. Just not as practical or comfortable or roomy as the dolphin. I don't like to think I'm so susceptible to appearances, but maybe I am.

So I popped the top, and sat out there a while. Yeah, I'd rather take the toyota. Makes me a little sad, and feels a little psycho.

We feel the same way, I am putting a lot more $ into mine than I could ever sell it for, but think we will have the use of it for many years. Can't wait to see it when it's coach is done being restored, next week probably.

Well Westy's are selling here in California for big bucks. I had a chance to buy an 85 about 15 years ago for 5 grand and now the same bus is selling for 12 to 15 grand in the bay area. You could upgrade to a newer v6 Toy. I too am very emotionally attached to my campers. Where ever I go I am always home. Makes me feel secure. Make and eat the food I like. Go to the bathroom in my own WC. Sleep my own bed. See the country a never leave the comforts of home.

Linda S

Do you happen to know if the 4x4 owners name was Ben? He just bought one in Oregon but lives in NM

I don't know his name, it was parked in a friend of the owner's lot and he walked me over and let me look in. It has to be the one you mentioned, it had Oregon plates. A large wooden box on the back.

I think the "market value" of the westy is what is sort of what makes me a little crazy. It is very nice. Runs great, has new paint, it's sort of been our project for about 6 years. I know I could sell it and afford a newer toy, or stuff to fix ours up to perfection. I also think I'd regret selling it.

Our toy is very good mechanically, and I think it is worth fixing up. Sometimes I feel like something a bit faster would be nice, but the westy taught me the delights of slowing down.

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE our toy dolphin. Love it.

But I also love my VW Westfalia. Aside from the obvious benefits to the dolphin, I still do love the westy.

I'm feeling awfully divided. Many years I've upgraded, driven and fiercely loved my westy.

Gotta say water heater, bathroom, and space has made me prefer the dolphin.

Today I saw, In person, three toyota motorhomes. THREE.

one was a coveted 4wd sunrader. I looked inside. Nice!

The other two were dolphins. One going down the road, the other at the RV place I go for help and work. I know first hand how comfy, practical and perfect they are. But I have to say it, they look a little .......well don't know what.

My westy is cool, no question. Just not as practical or comfortable or roomy as the dolphin. I don't like to think I'm so susceptible to appearances, but maybe I am.

So I popped the top, and sat out there a while. Yeah, I'd rather take the toyota. Makes me a little sad, and feels a little psycho.

Debbit,

In addition to my Dolphin, I have your ideal RV. It's a Westy (73)- It's a Toyota- It's two RVs in one! How about a 73' Westy with a Toyota engine? That's right. It has a 1976 Toyota 1600cc engine (2TC). The radiator is mounted in the engine compartment out of sight and it will move! When asked what I have in the bus, I just tell them (honestly) that it's a Toyota Hemi.

Sounds like a good conversion! I have no complaints with my 2.1 water boxer, it is a good one, strong and dependable. We've had some that weren't.

It's just when we get ready to go somewhere it's "which one should we take"

We are going to LA on a trip to see kids soon. We think we will take the westy, as it involves only one night on the road and it is easier to drive in busy city traffic. In CA, people smile, slow down and wave at westfalias.

Lots of Vanagons around here with 2.5 L Subies in the back. There was a local guy who did a neat conversion. They were popular, but he stopped doing them as the conversions were interrupting his fishing time. Priorities ya know.

Saw a t-shirt the other day for this situation......" You say psychotic like its a bad word"

• 3 weeks later...

Got to love it. I have seen them with VW Jetta diesels. My sister had one when I was in high school we used to take it to the drive in and park it sideways you could hide 2 6 packs on each side of the engine compartment.It fell over one day in a snow storm that pretty much did it in.

I've decided I have to keep both. Each is so unique, and has its place.

If I sell the westfalia, I will always regret it! If I sell the dolphin I will also regret it!

post-7310-0-99451600-1386777176_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-66180300-1386777201_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-85298900-1386777229_thumb.jp