Winterizing - What's Acceptable?

mobilehippo

Hello,

So it's getting pretty cold here in the Northwest. This is this pretty newbie question here as this is my first winter.

I got a plastic tarp with the RV. Should I wrap my RV for the winter? There are no leaks in the RV but I can't fit her under the carport so she doesn't get any cover for the winter. Is covering her for the winter necessary?

Then, I have dumped RV anti-freeze into the grey and black water tanks that I've emptied. I've pumped all the water out of the fresh water system and drained my hot water tank. Now, is it that necessary to run the RV anti-freeze through the fresh water system. It says bypass my hot water tank and run the antifreeze through the fresh water tank on the instructions. I don't know how I feel having that kind of toxins in the fresh water system. It seems like not something I would like drink out of in the spring.

Would like to hear how people are winterizing to get a better idea on what I should do.

Thanks!

I have no personal experience, but what research I've done says "don't use a tarp". Either buy a cover meant for RVs, or leave it uncovered. Tarps can hold in moisture causing mold, and rub against the RV causing damage.

I don't have a hot water heater, just a water tank and grey water tank. I just drain them. That's it. I make sure there's no water in the drinking water lines by running the pump till it's dry, and drain the grey water tank. Nothing more.

Hello Lola, We're here in the Northwest too. My RV sits outside and I run it pretty much all year, at least until the end of December then a tarp goes over the top only (not the sides) for a couple of months. If I'm not moving it I will start it up once a week for 10 minutes and let it warm up.

I do put RV anti-freeze in my fresh-water tank. I fill/rinse the tank couple of times in the spring with a shot of clorox bleach. The hot water tank is drained and bypass valve is shut off, no anti-freeze is put in this tank. I rarely use my fresh tanks for drinking water, I take a couple jugs of house tap water for that. If I do use the tank water it gets boiled for coffee or I use it to rinse after brushing, just because I'm lazy to go grab the fresh jug.

Stores around here always have a winter sale of windshield washer fluid for 99 cents a gallon. I use a jug of this for flushing the toilet waste during the winter. Lessens the chance of ending up with a poopcicle. ;)

I also keep an oil filled heater inside that stays on 7x24. Neighbors always ask why the RV windows never frost. ;) I have a Dri-Z-Air unit that collects moisture.

BTW- Pink is cool!

i blow myn out with a compresser on the city water connection i put antifreze in the water tank run a little in the water heater then switch to bypass flood all pipes dump some down the traps have yet to ever have a problem .IN the spring i flush all rpeatly run a strong bleach then flush some m ore. my water is city treated water so i am used to a bleech taste anyway

I really appreciate the responses.

How would I use compressed air to blow the water out of the pipes? I have a pretty old RV and there is a hose line and a drip line on the side but that's it. Should I try to blow some air through the hose line?

Thanks so much!

Be sure you have a regulator on your air line and don't go over 40 PSI or you'll get the water out in a manor that may not be the best method. It works best when you do one tap at a time and don't forget the toilet!

You MUST be careful with blowing out the lines with air pressure. My compressor at home runs at 120 psi and I am sure that it would cause major problems for you plumbing. If you hook up to a pressurized water source (city or campground water) you also need a pressure regulator on your water hookup. These can be found at WalMart for about $10. Do not think that you can regulate pressure by only turning the supply valve on just a little. this will control the flow but after a while, it will get to whatever pressure the supply has and may burst your water lines.

I live in Ohio, we will see -10 to -20. I add two gallons of RV antifreeze and make sure its in all the pipes. In the spring, I drain, refill with water, adda cup of bleach, sanitize the system, then refill with water and do a quick purge of the bleach.

JOhn Mc

Zach, It should work... Do a good drain and blow out the lines. I do the antifreeze as additional insurance. In the spring, I watch the sales and can usually buy the RV antifeeeze for $1.99 a gallon. good time to buy 4 or 5 gallons.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

To tarp or not to tarp,if you have heavy snowfalls as we do in Minnesota, I always used a tarp to cover the roof area especially the area where the seam is at the roof and sidewall. What happens during the winter is the snow accumulates and adds weight on the roof and tends to open the seams slightly, on warm winter days snow melts, the water finds its way into the structure causing damage. This is very common here in the snowbelt. To me mold is not an issue in winter. Many Rvs are damaged here, but some are wintered in storage areas, the best solution and the best units to buy used, when they lack water damage.

Water system winterizing...I use a compressor to blow all lines and traps also, max 30 psi..to protect fragile water pump and toilet valve.....pour rv antifreeze in traps to prevent smell in holding tanks backing into coach, remove engine and coach 12 volt batteries, remove smoke and CO detectors, set mouse traps and stop at storage unit and check traps, so far no mice...indicates a tight unit...if signs of mice...then use D-CON...some people swear that Bounce fabric softener will repel them, I cant stand the smell. Balsam fir oil extract works in tractor cabs, pretty expensive smells great.

My compressor has a built in regulator. I was just making reference to using one in case someone does not have one installed. If I am using the paint sprayer, I add an additional regulator/filter in line to avoid getting water in the paint. I change my regulator between 55 psi for tires and 90 psi for the air bags.

I saw a guy at a local gas station using their compressor to blow out his lines and I stopped to make sure that he knew the dangers to his system.