Fridge running too cold

nooga

Need help. On recent trip, our Dometic fridge was running too cold, freezing stuff in the bottom on the small one-door appliance. We discovered that the spring clip on the upper freezer door was broken and the freezer compartment door did not seal properly. We were running it in electric mode then. After returning home, we replaced the spring clip and put a new gasket seal on the freezer compartment. Now the problem is worse than ever. We have our 1994 Itasca Spirit parked in a storage lot and we are currently trying to troubleshoot the problem in gas mode. First we set the thermostat on 5, but water in the fridge--bottom and top--froze overnight. Then we tried it at 4. Same result. It is now set on 2 but we suspect that the thermostat may be faulty. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem or have any idea what the problem is? Fridges are expensive so I hope we can zero in on the problem.

When it is cold out side you have to turn the thermostat way down. If it's 30- 40 outside I have to turn mine all most to the highest setting or it will freeze every thing including eggs..

If the fridge has lights on it, it is electronic and more modern then what was in it from new. If it is electronic it will have a thermistor other wise it's the manual control via the knob no thermistor. The electronic ones required the battery to run and would automatically light the propane.

Sorry you did not get my answer to those who wanted to know the model number of my Dometic fridge. The model number is RM 2420. I posted the info yesterday and have no idea why it did not get on the forum. Many thanks to all who responded.

• 5 months later...

I've got a Dometic RM461 frig that runs way cool - 16 degrees F on the bottom and 21 degrees on the first shelf. Inside the Dolphin the temp is 64 degrees F. Doesn't seem to matter if I turn the thermostat to Max or down to 1. Any ideas? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

To resurrect and hijack an old thread, I'm having the same problem on electricity. Our ambient temp has been between the lower 30s up to almost 60 here in the greater Portland, OR area since I moved into my '87 Dolphin. The fridge is an RM2400. I just turned the t-stat down to "OFF", then back on a minimal amount. I'll check the temp when I get back in this evening, but I'm getting tired of frozen liquids.

Ideas?

BTW, the fridge sits at about 22 degrees F.

If that's the case, how do they do when it's in the 90s?

You can plan on 40 degrees below outside ambient temps. I have camped at above 90 degrees and the only way I managed to save my food was to hang a wet sheet over the outside fridge vent to cool and shade it. Worked though

Linda S

It was way over 90.

Was that on gas or electric?

Gas but it really doesn't make much difference. Either way the fridge cools from a tiny heater that heats ammonia. Gas uses a flame about the size of a stove pilot and electric uses equivalent heat from electric heater. I notice no difference in the cooling between 110 and propane and a little less cooling from 12 volt.

Linda S

For what it's worth, our converted small chest freezer fridge works equally well in 30 to 110 degree weather. We do use more juice in hotter weather, though. Thank goodness for the solar panels. I think if I ever replace the fridge I'll look for something that's a bit more energy efficient. The current one does fine as long as it's sunny - if it isn't we have to either move or charge after a couple of days.

On some of the Dometics there are two separate thermostats. One for gas and one for electric (like used in Toyota Chinooks). I think the RM2420 has just one for gas and electric. Still can be a difference though. In electric mode - when the thermostat shuts it "off" it really is "off." No cooling going on. When in gas mode - no matter what the thermostat does - it is never really "off" since the pilot flame is always there. It's just "low flame" or "high flame." I know that with my RM2410 in cool weather - just the pilot keeps it pretty cold.

I suspect you've got a $80 thermostat that looks like this?

post-6578-0-56516400-1446822672_thumb.jp

I haven't opened it up to look, but would a new t-stat fix my issue? I don't think turning the knob is making a difference.